Why do we make mods?

DaleTheeMagnificent

After a few weeks, today  I woke up to my first endorsement on my mod. A big deal mostly cause its a mod I made originally for me and to simply track my skill level at serious modding, so its a nice indicator that I'm able to put a coherent mod together to at least one person. It tells me the mod works, and thats the best part.

But what about everyone else? How do you veterans judge if your mod is 'good'? Do you all judge based on endorsements and downloads? Or even judge the mod in general? Its all for fun and enjoyment, but Im curious what other motivations play into mod makers and what they create I guess? Or really anyone who mods in general, even new folks like me. 

Why do you create mods? Whats the end goal for you?

Like, I enjoy modding because its a nice between to making a game and playing one. I get a huge sense of accomplishment working with my hands and making something function. Regardless if its using a wrench or a keyboard. And modding is another skill I can get a sense of accomplishment from. And far less greasy. Lol.

I mod for myself which is why most of what I make never sees the light of day, it's either unfinished or uses assets I can't share. When I do upload something I'm not too bothered about endorsements or downloads, if only one person gets some enjoyment from it then it worth doing, what I do like are screenshots of my stuff in other people's games, it always brings a smile to my face unless they've vandalised it in some way.

At first because it's the irresistable urge to mess with the game. When we dont know anything we test with various mods. Then when we know how to toy around with tools, we start personalized those mods. Which is the start of making mods.

Then it's the personal desire thing. There's mods that we like very much but something just poke at us the wrong way. There's mod that we feel there's something should be there, but not.

Generally, I mod as I play. So unpublished mods are much more than published ones, since we dont always finalize the mods before this session complete.

And finally, I do pay attention to the number downloads, endorsement, and the likes. I just dont run after those number too hard, since my tendency is a bit too niche for general audience, so those numbers are never high, unless i waste a lot of time to tailor that mod for general audience's taste, which I dont actually know that well.

I can make people laugh and cringe; I specifically like writing most in the context of a PC/NPC interaction, and modding a bethesda-engine game is the easiest In you could ask for because it comes with a built-in audience.

I also like the game itself, but if there's something that nags me, or if I just have "Y'know it'd be cool if..." moment, I can make it an actual thing and make my own experience better, and also share those ideas with others.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:29 PM, DaleTheeMagnificent said:

How do you veterans judge if your mod is good?
Do you all judge based on endorsements and downloads? Or even judge the mod in general?
...I'm curious what other motivations turn players into mod makers and what they create...
Why do you create mods and whats the end goal for you?

I don't really read into endorsements or downloads, there's some kinds of mods which will ALWAYS get downloads so It's mostly about how I felt it about it and if I was able to accomplish what I wanted. My highest endorsed work isn't the best example of my skill and my most well known ain't even the most downloaded. As far as I'm concerned, whatever you make and upload, we're all equals just making stuff for a game we like.

My motivation comes from a quote, "If you want something to happen, the only person who can do it is you". Sure, you could wait until someone else does it, but I got sick of waiting and the time might never come. So you watch a few youtube tutorials, struggle a whole bunch but when it works, it's so cool and suddenly when you look in a mirror, you are Dragbody. Seeing what others create also helps inspire and I guess knowing others will see it too is a nice boost.
Other motivation is simply reaching the end of a game, I've played it so many times that I think of edits or new things to boost the experience.

I create to change my own gameplay experience. I like difficulty and character customisation so naturally, I make wacky challenge run kind of guns to use and make my player look flashy. There is no end goal, sometimes I'll set a timeframe and a goal for a specific project just so it gets finished but like the games we play, its all for fun, being part of a community, stuff like that. Setting goals like money, downloads it messes with my motivation turning a hobby into a job or contest but I suppose it depends on who you are. I'll be here til I run out of ideas or get bored.

On 12/16/2023 at 6:29 PM, DaleTheeMagnificent said:

I get a huge sense of accomplishment working with my hands and making something function. Regardless if its using a wrench or a keyboard...

Sometimes when I'm doing work on an edit or a weapon, modelling and fixing UV maps, I do feel like somekind of gunsmith in the workshop haha.

4 hours ago, laclongquan said:

So unpublished mods are much more than published ones...

...my tendency is a bit too niche for general audience, so those numbers are never high, unless i waste a lot of time to tailor that mod for general audience's taste, which I dont actually know that well.

My WIP folder use to be such a mess, alot of half finished "on second thoughts" mods I just toss away.
Nice thing about the niche audiences, sure there's going to be less downloads but oh my lord they're so much more vicious for an update hah, they're usually very grateful though.

Edited by MuteSignals

Also, searching for what you need on Nexus can be a real challenge, considering a lot of modders has no sense of keyword, and/or actively refuse to take suggestion in that regard.

SO do-it-yourself is a necessity because good luck wading through Nexus search result to find a mod that satisfy some niche interest of yours.