Why does fallout fo4 crash on startup

Gomperthemodder

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RoNin1971 said:

You should delete (nuke) the entire folder (\this PC\Documents\My Games\Fallout4). Including all the .ini files.

Zip it all up first, as backup. (The ONLY folder containing anything related to Fallout 4 on your entire system you do not need to delete, are your saves (\this PC\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\saves)

Still it doesn't hurt to remove them and restore them later on. To go for a clean (re)install. (as far as the file system goes, but I'm not aware of relevant registry settings you might need to remove)

Only after verifying the game works, "out of the box", you can start restoring/installing mods like F4SE.

I deleted all the files you said to delete image.png.94406b2ab4c8b4c18e5d21b2f98fbe7a.png

Posted (edited)

Im having problems with finding "C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Fallout4" 

I can only find C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Fallout4

Ive typed it all out in the searchbar in the file explorer and made it show me hidden files

Edited by Gomperthemodder

And yes, as you are doing a "Clean" install, you have to reinstall any mod that you want to use, as it won't be there any more.

The two paths you show for appdata folder are exactly the same, in your case, "YourUserName" is "User".

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HeyYou said:

And yes, as you are doing a "Clean" install, you have to reinstall any mod that you want to use, as it won't be there any more.

The two paths you show for appdata folder are exactly the same, in your case, "YourUserName" is "User".

good thing i made that mod collection and put my off nexus mods in a favorite

also is C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Fallout4 the data file youre talking about for the C:\Users\user\AppData\Fallout4?

Edited by Gomperthemodder

38 minutes ago, Gomperthemodder said:

good thing i made that mod collection and put my off nexus mods in a favorite

also is C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Fallout4 the data file youre talking about for the C:\Users\user\AppData\Fallout4?

Yeah, I missed that folder when I was typing. 😄

Edited by HeyYou