Is there any point into making yourself as OP as possible?

InDarkestNight

After having to switch out my drive, and installing Ubuntu for the first time, I've been having to play the game unmodded. I wanted to this to make sure the game worked. So far so good; despite one crash and three freezes (two of which fixed themselves somehow), my game is still far more stable than its ever been.

Of course, playing the same game for the upteenth time without mods is rather boring, so I decided to do something I've never done before; intentionally make myself as powerful as possible. I always saw such as unfair, but at the same time I sorta lamented never giving it a try.

I tried to do the vanilla quests, intending to fully explore the game. Do every quest, and explore every dungeon. However, outside of the few new areas and quests I've done, I quickly got bored with this. Besides, its not really necessary to make myself as powerful as possible (though I did have to go pretty deep into the dragonborn quest line just for the black book powers).

So I've switched to just grinding up my skills. Its obviously really boring, and I'm sick of it. Also, I've been thinking, why am I even doing this? I did try this once before, but I botched it and didn't use stalhrim. The game got rather dumb since I was able to one-shot everything that wasn't a boss. I even had that glitch with miraak where if you one-shot him, he'll get stuck and the fight won't progress. I was worried about that happening again, so I wasn't planning on fighting him this run. I did try to play on expert (something I used to do all the time) to try and mitigate this problem, but its not really helping. I can already one-shot things and I haven't even touched enchanting or alchemy yet. I haven't smithed up my weapons either, because I ran out of stalhlrim. Despite this, I'm still able to one-shot just about everything, with the only drawback being if I run out of stamina for power attacks, which is a common problem to be fair since I'm a vampire.

Point is, I'm wondering why I'm doing this? I don't really see any need to progress farther; I've already broken the game. Why am I doing this? So I can one-shot the ebony warrior? What's the point? Either way, I haven't really been enjoying it, so really I may should switch to something else. Actually install some mods, and do some dry-runs for a possible live play I plan to do.

Leveling IS broken. At the beginning I eat a lot of wolf meat to keep fed for free because money is so short. I carry away all potions, armor and weapons because I'm saving up for houses. Now at level 70 I have more money than I know what to do with. I'll still take ebony or glass, but all the rest of armor and weapons I ignore and only take the most powerful potions. I really have no need for even these. I think I would like a completely unleveled game where at the beginning you had a set number of skill and perk points that you could distribute how you liked and no further changes to that. You could play as a skilled merchant or craftsman, a powerful warrior or  a skilled mage,  or a slightly above average person, but what you started with is what you would remain.

It is a mod and does require SKSE, but LE has the Skyrim Community Uncapper available to it.  This mod allows one to tweak settings in an INI file to change the experience gain.  When I used it with LE, I would set skills like Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing to not provide any experience to the character level.  Only skill lines that contributed to the combat experience would provide experience to the character level.  This drastically slowed down character growth, helped to avoid encountering overpowered normal enemies due to grinding crafting skills, and made entering the naturally higher leveled areas more difficult until reaching a higher level myself.  Also, made having a follower almost necessary.  At least that was my experience, but I've hardly ever been able to play games on the hardest difficulties.  I managed it once with Mass Effect and it was tough for me.  It may or may not be helpful, but worth the consideration.

This is a 100% vanilla run I stated. Yeah, I could fix a lot of the problems by installing mods, such as higher level enemies (its the only mod I can ever recall that increases game difficulty). That doesn't change the fact that I'm finding it boring. I had a similar situation once when I did fudgemuppet's sorcerer build. It was quite fun for a while once I got to the top, but after I while I just got bored with being able to one-shot everything with an aoe spell.

Thinking maybe I need to just abandon this playthrough and do something fun. I was going to try a build I've been wanting to do for a year or two now but never got the oppurtunity. Basically its a stealth archer that uses two-handed. I'm particularly interested in learning how to play a light armor two-handed build (I did do it once, and I kept getting owned by archers, though that playthrough was meant to be super short; I just did the civil war quest than married and adopted, I was hunting achievements if you care to know why I would do such a short playthrough). Its very similar to the build I'm planning to run for my LotD playthrough which I may record and upload, so I'm going to need to learn how to make this work. I have played two-handers before a number of times, but honestly I just never could get them to work unless they wore heavy armor. You need the higher armor rating just so you don't get owned by archers early on. I am better at dodging archers now though, so maybe I could make it work for once? Besides, let's be real, light armor has far better perks than heavy armor anyway. This playthrough the only reason I opted for heavy armor over light was for Dukaan, which outweighs the benefits light armor has over heavy (10% chance to block all damage vs 30% extra damage all times, obviously there's not much of a contest).

I think the beauty of a game like Skyrim is that you do not NEED to do everything within a single character run.  I think it is perfectly acceptable to put the game down for a little while when it starts to feel boring.  Try something different when you come back or pick up where you left off.

As I said before, I have no other games. They were all taken away from me by forced updates. Skyrim LE is literally all I have left. Yeah, I would like to play a different game, and I have been thinking about that, but the problem is I have none! Also, I haven't bought games in years due to getting scammed on steam one too many times. At least with fallout 4 you can make pip boy games to break up the monotony. I seriously for a time thought about buying Fallout 4 just so I could play that grognak game! Seriously. In Skyrim, all we got is the Tavern Games mod, which lets be real doesn't contain the best games on the planet. I haven't played with that thing installed for quite a few years now. It would be sorta nice if someone could add board games into Skyrim. Of course that would be silly; why not just play a digital version if you want that? I've been playing Freecell alot on my computer here actually, just to give myself something to do other than play Skyrim. Seriously.

Starting over for the upteenth time sounds similar to my situation.. Only in the past couple of days have I been able to stick to a playthrough thanks to the nolvus playlist on which I am adding bits and pieces to.

Being overpowered loses it's appeal rather quickly but I find that having to go through the early game stuff over and over again has gotten really stale as well. Rather than making myself overpowered I am content with simply additem-ing and .modav-ing a wee bit of stats so I can quickly get past riverwood and whiterun intro quests swiftly and looking better than a hobo in rags as I race to the quest mods i have yet to try and such.