Saved a ton of money not buying games this year

HuemangeBeans

Except for a couple bundle offerings, my wallets been closed tighter than a virgin's chastity belt for game purchases this year.  Maybe I'm getting old, tastes changes, I've found a couple new hobbies like acrylic pouring and gardening, but for whatever reason no games have appealed to me enough this year for me to want to buy them at anything like 'new' pricing.  Idk 'bout you guys, but I haven't spent $70 on a videogame.

So I've had all this money to do other things.  Much more rewarding things.  I've moved to New Mexico, got a new truck, bought a whole new wardrobe of silk and leather clothes, got a leather couch, an indoor steam sauna (love it, use everyday), an air fryer, king-sized bed with mulberry silk sheets and duvet, on and on, all these nice things I couldn't have afforded if I'd continued spending my money on mediocre games.

The last new game I really enjoyed was Severed Steel, and since it's an Indie I didn't even know about it when it was 'new', so I even bought that on discount.  I'd just like to thank the game industry, for their continued lack of support, for switching gears to cater to an entirely different audience than myself, who'd been gaming for 30 years.  I'd like to thank the giant investment corps that have funded the ESG movement that's cratered the entire market and rotted from within all the big game studios to where they can't produce anything even remotely appealing to me, anymore.  I look forward to future years of continuing to not spend money on games, and anticipate all the wonderful life-changing things I'll be able to buy, instead.

With all that money you've saved me, I've been able to change my life for the better.  Thank you, sincerely.

Yours truly.  

No reply?  Sorry, I didn't mean to brag.  I was hoping this would be inspirational.  I also forgot to add my giant 20-piece 3000W stereo I craigslisted together.  I'm off in a side-room to keep warm during winter, forgot about it.  

I read forums, keep up with the scene, still.  The last year I've read so many posts where the person is regretful or angry about having spent money on a videogame they dislike.  I wanted to let those people know there is hope, they can decide to end the abusive relationship of the videogame consumer/producer relationship. 

It's not as if I've had to quit gaming, just because I'm not buying the hype.  The last week I've been playing a game I enjoyed way back as a wee lad, Wizardry 7: Crusaders of a Dark Savant.  It's remarkable how much more thoughtful game design was, back then.  Little details like having to find a map in game before you could use one, as opposed to having a GPS locator implanted in your head like most modern games.

There's also emulated games.  I find the current state of games pretty comical.  With the huge marketing push behind Starfield, I look back to the 360's library and excellent Microsoft first party games that did not get a marketing/publicity campaign anything on par with that scale.  Nuts&Bolts, Shadowrun, and yes, even Too Human were all very competent, creative, and fun games. 

I've played thru N&B single-player campaign probably 10 times by now, I put thousands of hours in Shadowrun multiplayer, I maxed out a character from every class with the best equipment that could be found in the game, and was on the global leaderboards in Too Human.  Microsoft didn't dump funds into garnering guaranteed good reviews for any of those games, when they were actually incredible games.  They chose to let public opinion be soured by biased, nit-picky reviews that left those games with mediocre scores for superfluous reasons.

Why didn't they put the kind of marketing campaign behind their games when they were actually good?  Too Human had almost an 'anti-ad campaign' with the lead designer going on a personal crusade against game journalists.  LoL.  I still, in hindsight, cannot believe that the audience panned Too Human only to turn around and swim in the one-shot murky depths of the Dark Souls and the Souls-like genre.  It's unfathomable to me, really.

I'm off-topic on my own thread, here.  I'm just meaning to give people a message that they don't have to continue buying games they don't like.  The time and money spent on feeding a bad habit can be put to better use.  I can see why this thread got no responses because it's not attempting to start a flame-bait war, which is what most 'videogame discussions' that I'm reading these days are.

Have a good one.

Edited by HuemangeBeans

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you've made a positive change in your life, well done! I wouldn't be too discouraged about the lack of response, forum culture has become niche in favor of instant messaging like Discord etc for the longest time now though I still enjoy the format. Having your own personal sauna instead of some lackluster videogames ain't a bad trade at all!

You're not wrong though, I didn't buy any games last year as nothing appealed to me. Of course, I have my favourite genres and nostalgic classics but there's nothing in the current catelogue, maybe its all just too similar or you get pulled into it by folks on your friendslist. In a way, gaming has become alot more handfed, trading real challenge in favour of short term replayable entertainment but who knows right?

Edited by MuteSignals

11 hours ago, MuteSignals said:

gaming has become alot more handfed, trading real challenge in favour of short term replayable entertainment

Yes... I sadly agree. For me the fact it was so very easy to really mess up BG1&2 and Morrowind is what made them so much fun.

I haven't bought any new games in years - I keep looking but nothing ticks the boxes...

4 hours ago, zixi said:

Yes... I sadly agree. For me the fact it was so very easy to really mess up BG1&2 and Morrowind is what made them so much fun.

I haven't bought any new games in years - I keep looking but nothing ticks the boxes...

I will say that I enjoyed Project Zomboid since it has that difficulty factor which can be adjusted, game I bought the previous year. The Sims 1 graphics drew me in.

You know you're enjoying a game when the edges of your mouth curl up, I believe that's called smiling? Thinking back to the MMOs I use to play, they were like second jobs 😨

Modding has ruined me though, if i can't mod it or make what I want, I won't play it hehe

Edited by MuteSignals

2 hours ago, MuteSignals said:

graphics drew me in.

It can be all kinds of things... but I look for some kind of engagement - you obviously do too. I missed Caius Cosades after he's recalled to the Imperial City, I wept buckets when Meeko got killed in a skirmish particular as it looks like only I could kill him. I had to reload the game and make him essential (couldn't face that grief again). I used to enjoy just being with Paarthurnax and Neloth; and I still feel the same horror  when we find Khalid's body in BG2 for the 100th time... I'm still lost for words to comfort Jaheira. 

I've gamed for a long time. Can't imagine not doing it but I do other things too so if I'm bored with the games I have I don't think I'm very motivated to look for others - perhaps that's why I haven't found them. I play the flute instead... 😀

I'm using Linux which makes running the CK a little more exciting - many years ago I did get it stable but by then I was no longer interested in building... I do so admire people who do though. I hope you realise just how much joy you bring! Have some gratitude on their behalf! 😀