New modder , help please "How to... "- not so obvius doubts.

Hello, I  recently started to use the Construction Set for Oblivion, and  what can I say, I´m finally getting the features I couldnt find already made ...I just  have a few questions, (I´ve seen tutorials, and done many failed tests and experiments with many of the CS tools, and I think is better not to make a mess with the game, (...sorry if bad english):

1.- I don´t know if this is the right place to post this kind of things, please tell me if not .

2.-I made a mod related with road signs (activators), how can I avoid to dismount of the horse when activate something?

3.-I found how to change the sound of a creature but I think I can´t select a new Sound from my PC, ideas? 

4.-How can I make less frequent some loot object?  I like to play it harder

Thanks in advance, I will apreciate every constructive critic.

2. That might be beyond the scope of modding. Some things are built into the executable and can't be changed if there isn't an obse function to do it. I've never heard of it but maybe it's been done. I spend a lot of time studying other peoples work. I think it will payoff in the long run to figure out how to search for specific mods on the Nexus using the different filters. There's a category for game effect changes or something like that and you can add "Title includes" and "Description Includes".

3. Any new file you select with the CS has to be available on your computer (loose) under the proper folder (meshes, textures, sounds, etc.) I added a new sound here: "Data\Sound\fx\MyFolder\MySound.wav" I'm guessing it had to be a wav file for sound effect but mp3 works for voice files.

4. How about a specific example? Too many chests with randomly spawned loot can be an annoyance to me too. You have to look in everyone just in case the stupid key you're looking for is inside. You might be able to delete several hundred chests by deleting the chest object  but I don't know if that would work without problems

• Like 1

Welcome. But I must warn you, modding for Oblivion isn't for a faint heart. Now to your questions:

1. Yes, this is a right place.

2. In fact there is a way using scripting and OBSE functions, but it isn't as universal as you would hope. I managed to make this test script, which needs to be attached to an desired object first. It works, but there is a price.

Spoiler
scn RomRNoDismountScript
; no dismount while activating attached object

ref me
ref target
ref horse
short act_pressed
short act_disabled

begin OnActivate
	set target to GetActionRef
	if target == horse
		Message "Activated without dismount."
		Activate player
	elseif target != 0
		Activate
	endif
end

begin GameMode

if player.IsRidingHorse != 0
	; check if player has attached object in crosshair
	set target to GetCrosshairRef
	if target != 0
		set me to GetSelf
		if me == target
			if IsControlDisabled 5 == 0
				; disable activate control
				DisableControl 5
				set act_disabled to 1
			endif
		elseif IsControlDisabled 5 != 0
			EnableControl 5
			set act_disabled to 0
		endif
	elseif act_disabled != 0
		EnableControl 5
		set act_disabled to 0
	endif	
	; activate without dismount
	if act_disabled != 0
		if IsControlPressed 5 != 0 
			if act_pressed == 0
				set act_pressed to 1
				; make your horse do it
				set horse to GetPCLastHorse
				if horse != 0
					Activate horse 1
				endif
			endif
		else
			set act_pressed to 0
		endif			
	else
		set act_pressed to 0
	endif
else
	; return all controls
	set act_pressed to 0
	if act_disabled != 0
		EnableControl 5
		set act_disabled to 0
	endif
	if GetGameRestarted || GetGameLoaded
		if IsControlDisabled 5 != 0
			EnableControl 5
			set act_disabled to 0
		endif
	endif
endif

end

3. As chambcra mentioned, you need to copy your wave files into Oblivion's Data directory first in some sensible manner to maintain some order (like Data/Sound/Fx/MySuperMod/) and then create new Sound base object which points to your sound file(s).

4. Most loot chest are using so-called Leveled Lists to generate loot inside them. By editing such lists you can change a chance of appearing them or remove too powerfull loot entirely. However, editing such list is often big source of incompability between mods, maybe is better to not reinvent a wheel and look for some mods already made (like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - now maintained by WalkerInShadows or Martigen's Monster Mod)?

Edited by RomanR
guess

On 1/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, AndalayBay said:

Up until last year, we would also suggest you go through the tutorials on the CS Wiki, but Bethesda broke it when they moved to a new platform. Here's the Mod Maker's Manual, as uploaded by LHammonds.

Thank you, I was wondering exactly that about the CS wiki. I´ll check it

On 1/20/2024 at 1:02 PM, AndalayBay said:

Up until last year, we would also suggest you go through the tutorials on the CS Wiki, but Bethesda broke it when they moved to a new platform. Here's the Mod Maker's Manual, as uploaded by LHammonds.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:10 AM, RomanR said:

Welcome. But I must warn you, modding for Oblivion isn't for a faint heart. Now to your questions:

1. Yes, this is a right place.

2. In fact there is a way using scripting and OBSE functions, but it isn't as universal as you would hope. I managed to make this test script, which needs to be attached to an desired object first. It works, but there is a price.

Reveal hidden contents
scn RomRNoDismountScript
; no dismount while activating attached object

ref me
ref target
ref horse
short act_pressed
short act_disabled

begin OnActivate
	set target to GetActionRef
	if target == horse
		Message "Activated without dismount."
		Activate player
	elseif target != 0
		Activate
	endif
end

begin GameMode

if player.IsRidingHorse != 0
	; check if player has attached object in crosshair
	set target to GetCrosshairRef
	if target != 0
		set me to GetSelf
		if me == target
			if IsControlDisabled 5 == 0
				; disable activate control
				DisableControl 5
				set act_disabled to 1
			endif
		elseif IsControlDisabled 5 != 0
			EnableControl 5
			set act_disabled to 0
		endif
	elseif act_disabled != 0
		EnableControl 5
		set act_disabled to 0
	endif	
	; activate without dismount
	if act_disabled != 0
		if IsControlPressed 5 != 0 
			if act_pressed == 0
				set act_pressed to 1
				; make your horse do it
				set horse to GetPCLastHorse
				if horse != 0
					Activate horse 1
				endif
			endif
		else
			set act_pressed to 0
		endif			
	else
		set act_pressed to 0
	endif
else
	; return all controls
	set act_pressed to 0
	if act_disabled != 0
		EnableControl 5
		set act_disabled to 0
	endif
	if GetGameRestarted || GetGameLoaded
		if IsControlDisabled 5 != 0
			EnableControl 5
			set act_disabled to 0
		endif
	endif
endif

end

3. As chambcra mentioned, you need to copy your wave files into Oblivion's Data directory first in some sensible manner to maintain some order (like Data/Sound/Fx/MySuperMod/) and then create new Sound base object which points to your sound file(s).

4. Most loot chest are using so-called Leveled Lists to generate loot inside them. By editing such lists you can change a chance of appearing them or remove too powerfull loot entirely. However, editing such list is often big source of incompability between mods, maybe is better to not reinvent a wheel and look for some mods already made (like Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - now maintained by WalkerInShadows or Martigen's Monster Mod)?

Thank you very much, I´ll will study the script

Enhanced Economy is the mod I use for the economy.  It has a lot of features I don't use.  One is the ability to adjust loot on the fly by your settings.  It scans NPCs and other containers to adjust the loot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...