ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Starfield mod deployment problem

ModdersResources

1 hour ago, HeyYou said:

Mod staging folder needs to be on the same physical drive as the game.

Which is ridiculous because there is no reason mods can't be copied from one drive to another during deployment.  Yes, you want everything on a single SSD while launching and playing the game, but all "Deploy" does is copy from the staging folder to the game folder.  Those folders do not need to be on the same drive, causing every mod to take up double the required space on the smaller, faster SSD.

I just ordered a new M2, so that I can move my active game to that, my non-active games on the slower HDD, and keep Vortex from eating all the space on my smaller OS drive.

34 minutes ago, aurreth said:

Which is ridiculous because there is no reason mods can't be copied from one drive to another during deployment.  Yes, you want everything on a single SSD while launching and playing the game, but all "Deploy" does is copy from the staging folder to the game folder.  Those folders do not need to be on the same drive, causing every mod to take up double the required space on the smaller, faster SSD.

I just ordered a new M2, so that I can move my active game to that, my non-active games on the slower HDD, and keep Vortex from eating all the space on my smaller OS drive.

Your downloads folder can be anywhere, the folder where vortex actually extracts the mod, to link it to the game folder though, needs to be on the same physical drive. That's a windows limitation, not vortex.

3 hours ago, HeyYou said:

(...) the folder where vortex actually extracts the mod, to link it to the game folder though, needs to be on the same physical drive. That's a windows limitation, not vortex.

I believe the Vortex readme states exactly that.

3 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Your downloads folder can be anywhere, the folder where vortex actually extracts the mod, to link it to the game folder though, needs to be on the same physical drive. That's a windows limitation, not vortex.

I know.  I've never been happy with how Windows handles links.  It's based on their insistence on using drive letters instead of volumes.  I mean seriously, why are A: and B: still treated as sacrosanct when no one uses floppies anymore?  The system drive should have switched to A: years ago.

17 hours ago, aurreth said:

I know.  I've never been happy with how Windows handles links.  It's based on their insistence on using drive letters instead of volumes.  I mean seriously, why are A: and B: still treated as sacrosanct when no one uses floppies anymore?  The system drive should have switched to A: years ago.

It appears that I can actually assign A and B to a drive..... how much that offend windows though, I don't know. 😄 I suspect it is left a "C" being the O/S drive, simply because of "tradition", and don't wanna confuse folks by changing that now. Still, that leaves room for 24 drives.... (including the o/s) I don't know that I have ever had an instance where that wasn't enough...... Maybe in a corporate environment, with a LOT of network drives......

2 hours ago, HeyYou said:

It appears that I can actually assign A and B to a drive..... how much that offend windows though, I don't know. 😄 I suspect it is left a "C" being the O/S drive, simply because of "tradition", and don't wanna confuse folks by changing that now. Still, that leaves room for 24 drives.... (including the o/s) I don't know that I have ever had an instance where that wasn't enough...... Maybe in a corporate environment, with a LOT of network drives......

They left it C for legacy compatibility, businesses running ancient software that has become "indispensible" but whoever made it is no longer around.  I recently worked for a city government that had that issue.

I did some reading out of curiosity and it's completely possible to put your OS in A... and then the secondary drive will get assigned to D if you don't override it, 'cause it will still wants to reserve B and C 😛  Windows is like the anti-Burger King of operating systems:  "You want it your way?  Too f*kn bad."

I use Linux for most everything but gaming, and Windows just frustrates me for its lack of flexibility at times.

24 minutes ago, aurreth said:

They left it C for legacy compatibility, businesses running ancient software that has become "indispensible" but whoever made it is no longer around.  I recently worked for a city government that had that issue.

I did some reading out of curiosity and it's completely possible to put your OS in A... and then the secondary drive will get assigned to D if you don't override it, 'cause it will still wants to reserve B and C 😛  Windows is like the anti-Burger King of operating systems:  "You want it your way?  Too f*kn bad."

I use Linux for most everything but gaming, and Windows just frustrates me for its lack of flexibility at times.

Yeah, I recently had a customer that needed a couple 'new' machines, but, they had to run Windows 98..... as their truly ancient POS software was never updated, the company was gone, and replacing it would hit six figures...... I learned things about win 98 during that exercise that would NEVER have occurred back in the day..... Things like, having more than 512mb of ram would cause the installer to choke and die.... (or maybe it was one gig....) I still see XP machines every now and then, and some of my customers are truly reluctant to 'upgrade' from 7..... Most of 'em are forced to though, as none of the browsers support anything older than 10 any more. 😄 And 10 runs out of support in October next year.