Increasing Outpost Build Area

aurreth

I decided to revisit this.  Let's start with the basics:

The AV OutpostBuildAreaRadius, the thing everyone screws with, has a default value of 0.  You aren't supposed to change that to try and increase the outpost build area.  If that was what actually controlled the build radius then you would never be able to build anything, because the vanilla radius would be ZERO.

Instead, that value is set by three Activators.  Each of those activators assigns a value to the AV, based on the needs of that particular activator.  For example the Outpost Beacon sets it to 150, while a house decorator panel sets it to 250 (I have no idea why it's that big).

This means that hard coding the AV to some arbitrary value is going to screw up everything else that needs to set and use that variable.  Basically everyone trying to do it that way is doing it wrong.

The correct method is to edit the OutpostBeaconActivator, changing the value it assigns to the AV.  This is, of course, a problem because xEdit won't copy-as-override the beacon due to reflection data.  Luckily, I build star systems smile.gif  I know a way around that problem.  It's slow and tedious and easy to screw up so you have to start over, but I've done it enough I usually don't make mistakes anymore, and I have a lot of time on my hands right now.  I created an ESM with overrides for the AV, Default Object (DFOB), the three activators, and the four quests. 

I'm testing at 300 at the moment, and I haven't had time to look at the quests to see if those need to be modified.  The quests deal with outpost attacks; if they only read the value instead of setting it then they can be safely ignored.

Gave this some additional thought.  Say a mod sets the AV to say 300.  The outpost beacon then tries to set it to 150 (the default).  Conflict ensues.  This would explain the failure in placing things using the overhead view, or having to place harvesters inside the vanilla radius and then move them out to the new radius.  The beacon is fighting the AV override.  But override the beacon itself, allow it to set the radius, and that conflict goes away because the beacon and AV will always agree.

Hi, Aurreth!  While I personally do not recommend the use of mods requiring a plugin just yet (at least until the CK is released), a number of people have mentioned the wish to build underwater homes, as well as an increase in the outpost buildable area.  With that in mind, I posted a link to your mod in my thread in Steam's Starfield forum, The Coffee Pod, here.  Nice to see the work you are doing so far, and am looking forward to seeing even more once the CK is released! 

Good luck and best wishes!

11 hours ago, smr1957 said:

Hi, Aurreth!  While I personally do not recommend the use of mods requiring a plugin just yet (at least until the CK is released), a number of people have mentioned the wish to build underwater homes, as well as an increase in the outpost buildable area.  With that in mind, I posted a link to your mod in my thread in Steam's Starfield forum, The Coffee Pod, here.  Nice to see the work you are doing so far, and am looking forward to seeing even more once the CK is released! 

Good luck and best wishes!

You don't need to recommend Water Breathing, I rolled Talismancer's changes into Build in Water, which then got rolled into Outpost Beacon Override 🙂

16 minutes ago, aurreth said:

You don't need to recommend Water Breathing, I rolled Talismancer's changes into Build in Water, which then got rolled into Outpost Beacon Override 🙂

Great!  Thanks - wasn't sure so I listed it, will edit my post to reflect that.

12 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

Great!  Thanks - wasn't sure so I listed it, will edit my post to reflect that.

Yeah, probably didn't make it clear in Build in Water lol  I had a lot going on at the time so there was a bit of confusion over what was in my local copy and what was uploaded.

49 minutes ago, aurreth said:

Yeah, probably didn't make it clear in Build in Water lol  I had a lot going on at the time so there was a bit of confusion over what was in my local copy and what was uploaded.

Ok, I was wrong lol  I never made that update.  It's in there now, Build in Water now includes water breathing.