Would like to understand the fabled "flag ESM" mantra

How exactly does flagging a plugin as a master affect the navmesh? I've read countless comments on how it is necessary practice but I would like to understand why. I am currently working on a mod where NPCs need to return home, and they obey their packages fine and do so UNTIL I flag the plugin as ESM. Then when the package is supposed to send them home, they stop and never move from their spot. Reverting the plugin unflagged corrects it.

If the mod has any navmesh modified or added, it's recommended by lots of people to flag is esm (while it's being esp) or just change it to esm entirely.

By doing so, MO2 will stick those mods to top priority, and you can only change their order within that esm group. Yet, being esp (without flag as esm) allow freely placed in the rest of your load order, very likely to be higher amount than the esm group. This is reason why people like me dont flag esp as esm UNLESS people report bugs relating to esm.

Mods that dont flag as esm can still be played, but there's going to be weird report of pathfinding etc... yet people keep using them, mostly because there's going to be esp that combo lots of location mods that impossible to run if you flag it as esm. Example of that is my personal merge of 6 adobe building mods into one, which is a heck of a l ot of works, and I risk bugs to run that just for that~

If your mod that deal with mostly your own cells, and not affecting vanilla cells, possibly not tagging it as esm wont be a problem. Since that case mean bugs would only affect your mod content only and not the main game or any other mod content.

• 3 weeks later...

Dated Thread, but the question was never properly answered: Plainly and simply, Navmeshes break in ESPS.

The main trigger is loading a save after the initial load-in from the main menu, such as when you die. I've also noticed it occuring when leaving and re-entering a cell added by the esp. It's really easy to see for yourself when attempting to playtest a new interior in a mod. An easily observable symptom of the broken navmesh is when NPCs and companions teleport to a specific location in the cell when entering.

If your AI packages and scripts aren't working anymore after converting to ESM, it's because of an oversight of yours that you were allowed to get away with, due to quirks of ESPs.

All objects added by ESPs are flagged as Persistent automatically. Scripts and AI packages need to target persistent objects- but in your new ESM, they are no longer so.

I also noticed this would happen when I prefixed my mod object and script ids with numbers for some reason.

I think it's old custom to predate id of your mod with 00 or other custom number. Ie 0000AdobeSearchlightNCRoffices for example.

it's considered out of date practice, these days.  I think. At least, I dont do numbering editor id.

it's buggering search results when we search in console, is what. When we search with the term awop (for example) it will show all results with that and we know it's from that mod. But if you search 00 it might be contaminated with other mods doing same practice.

And what happen when you mix two or more mods of your own in one session? Wouldnt that one big mess waiting to explode?

Then don't search for 00, search for whatever else you think might be in the ID or the item's name, it'll still show up in a search even with the prefix, that assumes ID's are descriptive and they're often not.

There really isn't a problem here, people have been using prefixes since Morrowind to sort things, if you're adding a number of things to a mod you need a way to identify them and preferably be able to sort them so they end up at the top of lists, hence 00, AA and ZZ, it saves a lot of time. 

Jimbo, I am not here to change YOUR, or anyone, long time coding practice, okay~ it works for you guys, so outsiders' suggestion is, highly possible, not just as good as it sounds, even if it doesnt look as effective on paper. If nothing else, I am the guy keep on with Windows 7 instead of moving on, so it's not as if the kettle call the pot black bellied here~

I am just saying, just saying, is that those practices are out of date these days~

Edited by laclongquan