Is the future of Bethesda - DOOMED??

jjb54

Posted (edited)

They updated s#*! edition on GoG too. This means the original SE is no longer available, purged from the web. Besides, after all they've done I for one am NOT willing to ever EVER give them another penny. After all the destruction they've wrought, they simply don't deserve. If anything really, they should be the ones giving out financial compensation FOR ALL THE WORK BY OTHER PEOPLE THEY'VE DESTROYED.

Edited by InDarkestNight
typos

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty concerned. Mostly because they don't seem to be able to admit that their release with Starfield was lacking.

It's a feeling I had when playing the game as well, as I was constantly thinking: "Did they actually play this content themselves and find it fun?"

Honestly I can't imagine they did in some cases, which caused the game to feel like a "by the numbers" job in so many places. The more I played it, the more it felt like that.

So whether or not Elder Scrolls 6 or a new Fallout will be a success is largely going to depend on the passion of their management and direction. Which is something that seems to be lacking in most Microsoft games these days.

I wonder if they're having very different conversations behind closed doors? even Microsoft's own Laurel and Hardy (Phil Spencer and Matt Booty) must be able to see that there is a problem, and if they can't then those higher up the food chain will. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 9:38 AM, showler said:

" ^^^^^^^

This is the person who claims that other people are having trouble accepting reality.

Fun question:  If Bethesda wants modding to stop, why don't they just stop supporting it? "

bethesda wants to make money and i understand that. modding and pc is not their prioriity and i understand also that.

factually they slowly destroy modding with their attitude and it doesnt matter what they want or not. the ae update chaos is the best example and the fallout london crash before relase  for a worthless ng-release appeared to me as kind of deliberate. some people here seem not understand that or try to tell another beth friendly narrative. bethesda failed to reach out to the fo london team. please tell me why.  i do not comment the starfield relase and what happend since then...

my impression: bethesda is obviously steering in a wrong direction.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Between Arena/Daggerfall, which were a bit indie back then--all the way to Skyrim, which was the golden age for Bethesda... That was likely when more effort was put into quality works. Time, sweat and love were put into those, and it shows. Fallout 4 is probably the last game that they didn't go off the rails with. 

I don't want to discredit the efforts behind everything after Fallout 4, but something obviously changed and it probably was greed. Skyrim's several different re-releases are a great example, between the original, SE and AE... And Bethesda got it into their heads that they should try an MMO with Elder Scrolls Online and that was ok for some time, but ultimately failed. They didn't learn and then tried something similar with Fallout 76. Their focus changed and now it's been a series of failures and chaos with no sense of direction. ESO, Fallout 76, Starfield, whatever mobile spinoffs that aren't worth mentioning. 

Elder Scrolls 6 or any Fallout continuation of the original games is probably a lost cause to hope for. But hey, at least the Fallout TV show is cool I guess?

Edited by zelldralsoni

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, there's so much in Fallout 4 that makes little to no sense at all.  Really difficult to feel immersed in it.

Edited by SirCadsimar
added sentence

• 1 month later...

Doomed, hard to say. Profit wise, probably not. But I think that doesn't mean that their games are getting better. I think they're the type of company that thinks wowing people with graphics and flashy stuff is more important than gameplay, cohesive storytelling and fun content. I fear they try to appeal to everyone, and that rarely works. I can see why they'd do that, for max profits. But a game like that risks turning out very bland and soul-less.

I'm also no fan of their penchant for "streamlining", who has that fooled? To me that's just their way of removing a game mechanic as it makes it quicker and easier to develop.

So doomed, I don't think so. But for me they've gone from day-one purchases (last one was F4) to wait and see how it turns out. Still haven't bought Starfield, I was going to wait for like the ultimate edition or whatever it's going to be.

And on sale.

2 hours ago, borjoyzee said:

Doomed, hard to say. Profit wise, probably not. But I think that doesn't mean that their games are getting better. I think they're the type of company that thinks wowing people with graphics and flashy stuff is more important than gameplay, cohesive storytelling and fun content. I fear they try to appeal to everyone, and that rarely works. I can see why they'd do that, for max profits. But a game like that risks turning out very bland and soul-less.

I'm also no fan of their penchant for "streamlining", who has that fooled? To me that's just their way of removing a game mechanic as it makes it quicker and easier to develop.

So doomed, I don't think so. But for me they've gone from day-one purchases (last one was F4) to wait and see how it turns out. Still haven't bought Starfield, I was going to wait for like the ultimate edition or whatever it's going to be.

And on sale.

That may be years away.... Seems they plan on releasing additional content every year for the next decade.... Don't really understand the reasoning behind that....

The danger for Bethesda is someone at Microsoft thinking that another developer could do a better job with Bethesda's IPs than they can, after all they didn't pay all that money for Bethesda, they paid it for their IPs and if someone else can get them a better return on that investment then they'll go with them, they have a fiduciary duty to do so. That said I think they're OK for now, but if The Elder Scrolls 6 is another soulless disappointment then the writing may well be on the wall. 

I'm more worried for Bioware, I honestly think they're one stinker away from closure and the new Dragon Age looks terrible.