Help my brand new MSI Laptop suddenly stopped charging!!(SOLVED)

Everyone got weird with the power supplies not so very long ago. If it isn't a proprietary plug, it's the adapter communicating with the laptop, telling it what it is, etc, and if the laptop doesn't get that information..... It goes into a 'safe mode'... downclocks the proc, doesn't charge the battery, etc. For testing purposes, it's a right pain in the keester.... But, the manufacturers do that, so that you HAVE to buy one of THEIR adapters, if yours takes dump, or you lose it, or whatever.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

At this point even when repaired,  I am not sure I will trust this laptop ever again for my worktrips

I know. System failures of any kind can leave you feeling let down and mistrustful. It's why I told you about my games machine failure. Maybe the issue is too that you don't much like laptops in the first place! I've had a few - I've never bought one - they've always come with the job but (like you) I prefer a whacking great box on my desktop. It's very easy to feel 'I told you so' when once you've bitten the bullet and got something you're not so enamoured with, it then lets you down. Maybe give it a chance once it's fixed. Actually, I had (and still have) a laptop that stopped holding charge and I just plugged it in when I wanted to use it but it was never something I relied on. It was something the job gave me and they really thought they were giving me a 'present' to see me through trips abroad. I have the stupid touchpad thing so I put on a small mouse which meant taking a slot which meant it made other things awkward. It was a long time ago and laptops were in their infancy. I always thought they were like Swiss Army knives. Great for emergencies but not as good as the real thing and with strange functionalities that you'd never use...  Your reference to the list of things you don't like reminds me of my reaction to them too... 🙂 But maybe try to give it a chance.... It may still surprise you in a nice way... I hope it does! 

• Like 1

Fellas thnaks for the support.

Also I calmed down a bit from yesterdays anger.

It is what it is and its runs really nice, when it does run.

Better than my desktop which is not super high end, but not chopped liver either (RTX 4070 with dedicated GPU cooler, 64GB DDR4 RAM, SSD, i9 10900KF overclocked with 360mm liquid cooler, sadly its still on ship steaming its way here)

Good! I shall keep hoping positive things for you! 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

Fellas thnaks for the support.

Also I calmed down a bit from yesterdays anger.

It is what it is and its runs really nice, when it does run.

Better than my desktop which is not super high end, but not chopped liver either (RTX 4070 with dedicated GPU cooler, 64GB DDR4 RAM, SSD, i9 10900KF overclocked with 360mm liquid cooler, sadly its still on ship steaming its way here)

Are you going to be there for a while?????

9 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Are you going to be there for a while?????

I'll be out of the US for at least a couple of years.

I am not a young man and have only a few good earning years left so I have to go where the money is and overseas contracts are lucrative primarily due to the FOreign Income Tax exclusion.

My basic Salary is not thaaaat much higher than my domestic but not having to pay foriegn income taxes on nearly all my income is a very powerful savings booster.

But I also incurred a lot of risk with this move; since in my previous job I was basically unfirable and its not like that here at all.

1 hour ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

I'll be out of the US for at least a couple of years.

Hmmm... not exactly holiday length... even good holiday length. I understand why it was so important to to get the laptop... I wondered why you didn't just go tablet - that's what I did for chemo... Actually, there were lots of nice games I  played (and some I replayed which I'd had on the PC) on the tablet... But it wasn't altogether the same kind of games I normally played and not the same experience. But then my concentration was bordering on zero seconds so it didn't really matter.  I hope it gets sorted very soon and we're hear to listen to the 'journey' though I do wish I had a magic wand for you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

Alright. New Charge arrived. Laptop works again

Great! I'm really pleased for you! 😄

• Thanks 1