Need New PC. Open to Suggestions.

3 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Anything in the other two slots? Pick the soundblaster of your choice. 🙂 Even if it is an x1 card, it will still work in the x16 slot.

No, nothing. The sound card I have looks alot like the others I'm seeing online. Even if it is still compatible, probably best to replace it. It is over 10 years old.

4 minutes ago, barrettsfloyd said:

No, nothing. The sound card I have looks alot like the others I'm seeing online. Even if it is still compatible, probably best to replace it. It is over 10 years old.

If it still works, and is actually PCIe..... give it a shot. 😄

3 hours ago, HeyYou said:

If it still works, and is actually PCIe..... give it a shot. 😄

Yeah, it works just fine. Works in my other pc. And I did try to install it just for curiosities sake, didn't seem to do anything. Of course finding drivers for it might be a problem. Creative Soundblaster. Had it likely every bit as long as the rest of that pc.

In case it is something you wish to consider, Intel is supposed to launch their next-gen cpu end of yr as is Nvidia releasing their next-gen gpu.  Windows 12 is likewise launching this yr.    I'm also in need of new pc, but will likely be waiting for next gen hardware--especially since I tend to keep pcs for a long time.

Success!!!! Tried the last slot and got it working. Now I've got to plug in the old pc and start copying and transferring files over to the new pc...including from Soundblaster.

@NexBeth: Windows 12 could be a possibility, depending on if and how much of an improvement over 11 it is.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 3:50 AM, barrettsfloyd said:

Success!!!! Tried the last slot and got it working. Now I've got to plug in the old pc and start copying and transferring files over to the new pc...including from Soundblaster.

@NexBeth: Windows 12 could be a possibility, depending on if and how much of an improvement over 11 it is.

Iam glad it worked out for you! 🙂

As for Windows 12, I hope for the best but expect the worst. Recently it seems every successive Windows generation has been more resource hungry and had more bloatware and spyware than the last one.

8 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

Iam glad it worked out for you! 🙂

As for Windows 12, I hope for the best but expect the worst. Recently it seems every successive Windows generation has been more resource hungry and had more bloatware and spyware than the last one.

Windows 10 and up are spyware masquerading as operating systems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Windows 10 and up are spyware masquerading as operating systems.

Which is partly why I moved to Linux after Windows 7 support ended. 🐧

Thing is, if you are going to use Windows, and building a new pc with the clock ticking on support for the current iteration, then it makes sense to get the latest version on a new pc where you'll get 10 yrs of support and/or updates.  As it stands now, MS is no longer providing support for 11.  Yes, you can "upgrade" if you are ok with that.

Also, there is an advantage to having Intel's latest cpu when building an expensive gaming pc if you are the kind of user that keeps your pc for their full lifespan (particularly if money isn't the main concern).

2 hours ago, NexBeth said:

Thing is, if you are going to use Windows, and building a new pc with the clock ticking on support for the current iteration, then it makes sense to get the latest version on a new pc where you'll get 10 yrs of support and/or updates.  As it stands now, MS is no longer providing support for 11.  Yes, you can "upgrade" if you are ok with that.

Also, there is an advantage to having Intel's latest cpu when building an expensive gaming pc if you are the kind of user that keeps your pc for their full lifespan (particularly if money isn't the main concern).

MS may have discontinued support for some versions of 11, but, the latest version is still supported, and 11 in general should be supported for several years yet. 10 runs out of support completely on Oct, 2025.... updates for reinstalls will still be available, but, there won't be any new updates. (except for defender, I would expect.)