ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Body texture question

Weightaholic

I was just stuffing around, and was wondering if I could apply a different body texture to an outfit body that is different than the default one I am currently using (FSM).  So I grabbed the basehumanfemale.bgsm file, some different texture dds files (all 3 _d, _n and _s), and renamed all 4 files (new_basehumanfemale.bgsm etc) and placed in the appropriate directories under my FO4 data folder.  Edited the new bgsm to point to the appropriate new body textures, edited the outfit body in outfit studio to point to the new bgsm, which seemingly picked up the new textures fine, it all worked when viewed in outfit studio, the new body textures applied to that outfit only.  The new textures have tan lines, so very noticeable difference.

When I load up the game, and equip that outfit... no change.  That outfit still applies the default textures.

Am I trying to do something that can't be done, or have I missed something?

Cheers!

Hi, Weightaholic. While you can (and should) change the textures for reference just like you did in the Outfit Studio project, that's not actually what changes the textures in game. The project changes you made are just for reference so you can see your intent in BodySlide.

The changes are actually needed in the Armor Addon records for the outfits.

First you'll need to create Texture records, and then you'll need to point the Armor Addon records to the Texture Records. Don't forget that if the outfit's body texture varies at all from your default body texture, you'll need to also make hand textures and hand armor addon-records to match the body so you don't get wrist seams.

You can, if you wish, add hand armor addon records to your outfit's armor record so that body and hands get swapped as one. If you do that, don't forget to include the slots for hands in the armor record.

Post Script: Sorry I also just sank in that you made new material file records. I'm pretty sure the material swap (not the texture swap) will take effect from the outfit studio record. But if you find it doesn't, then just create a material swap in your plugin for the outfit. That should be pretty easy to figure out if needed. The skin textures are controlled in the armor addon record, but I think the materials are controlled in the outfit studio record (minus the texture pointers for the skin).

3 hours ago, Karna5 said:

Hi, Weightaholic. While you can (and should) change the textures for reference just like you did in the Outfit Studio project, that's not actually what changes the textures in game. The project changes you made are just for reference so you can see your intent in BodySlide.

The changes are actually needed in the Armor Addon records for the outfits.

First you'll need to create Texture records, and then you'll need to point the Armor Addon records to the Texture Records. Don't forget that if the outfit's body texture varies at all from your default body texture, you'll need to also make hand textures and hand armor addon-records to match the body so you don't get wrist seams.

You can, if you wish, add hand armor addon records to your outfit's armor record so that body and hands get swapped as one. If you do that, don't forget to include the slots for hands in the armor record.

LOL nah, all good, was just stuffing around to see if I could create a cheesy way of having someone with a unique body texture by doing this.  I have no idea how to create an esp and armor addons etc, but I assume I'll get around to it one day....

But thanks anyway.

• Like 1

The only reason I knew the answer is I went through the same process as you (I'm guessing around 2017), and I ran into the same mystery *Laughs* It took me a long time to figure out why the BodySlide changes to skin didn't work in game, so I might never forget it now *laughs*

I don't know whether I understand you correctly. If not, I am sorry. You can give yourself, your followers and the the rest of the human or humanlike npcs dirfferent skin types by using "Unique Player and Followers Redux". This way I use a mixture of an older FSM version, CBBE skin, etc.