How to stop Fallout 4 from updating (Steam/GOG/Xbox)

Pickysaurus

To me, the whole manifest ID fuzz makes no sense. There are a dozen manifest IDs in the players appmanifest_377160.acf for the dozen FO4 main files as main game, DLCs PLUS english depots of all that PLUS your chosen language of all that. <- Old entries are not important. They should be correct anyway.

WHAT manifest ID and WHERE replacing is the thing we want to know. Btw. every ID/manifest in that file fits to the depots of SteamDB...

Did you mean the manifest entry of the NEW UPCOMING DLC when it comes out and before people launch steam? <--- YES

Thats what thread creator meant:

The only thing that makes sense to me is the part about the file's read-only, but only after we added the entries of the new DLC. Otherwise steam will constantly try to update FO4 after the update is released.  <- YES, exactly that's how it works.

Edited by LeLeon
Bold highlighted, what is correct.
  • Like 2

Thank you for this guide. I was wondering if I set the file to read-only now, then will it prevent it from updating? I've opened the file and it looks like it already matches everything in the depots section unless I'm missing something. 

5 minutes ago, LeLeon said:

To me, the whole manifest ID fuzz makes no sense. There are a dozen manifest IDs in the players appmanifest_377160.acf for the dozen FO4 main files as main game, DLCs PLUS english depots of all that PLUS your chosen language of all that.

WHAT manifest ID and WHERE replacing is the thing we want to know. Btw. every ID/manifest in that file fits to the depots of SteamDB...

Did you mean the manifest entry of the NEW UPCOMING DLC when it comes out and before people launch steam?

The only thing that makes sense to me is the part about the file's read-only, but only after we added the entries of the new DLC. Otherwise steam will constantly try to update FO4 after the update is released.

Ah this confused me also... I think you are correct that we do this after the update is out and before launching the game, because everything on mine also matches right now.

I should've clarified, you don't need to change the manifests until AFTER the update releases.

Basically you're tricking the steam client into thinking it already has the latest depos so it won't try and install them. 

You can see the current vanilla Fallout 4 files (EXE version: 1.10.163; "Patch 1.34"; released on 4th of December 2019) in these Depots:

Depot 377162 (.exe)

Depot ID    377162
Build ID    4460038
Manifest ID    5847529232406005096
Creation date    3 December 2019 – 22:32:20 UTC (4 years ago)
Last update    18 July 2020 – 09:13:59 UTC (4 years ago)
Size on disk    62.47 MiB
Compressed size    48.11 MiB

Depot 377161 (content_a)

Depot ID    377161
Build ID    4460038
Manifest ID    7497069378349273908
Creation date    11 March 2019 – 17:00:26 UTC (5 years ago)
Last update    18 July 2020 – 09:13:58 UTC (4 years ago)
Size on disk    5.67 GiB
Compressed size    5.21 GiB

Depot 377163 (content_b)

Depot ID    377163
Build ID    4460038
Manifest ID    5819088023757897745
Creation date    4 December 2019 – 21:26:42 UTC (4 years ago)
Last update    18 July 2020 – 09:13:59 UTC (4 years ago)
Size on disk    18.20 GiB
Compressed size    17.60 GiB

I don't know about the GOG version but I think the number and the names of the game files can't be very different (aside from "steam_api64.dll" and the like).

If you make a backup of these files, you can always revert back later.

You can also make a backup of:

..\Documents\My Games\Fallout4

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Fallout4

..\steamapps\appmanifest_377160.acf

..\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\f4se_1_10_163.dll

..\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\f4se_loader.exe

In case the Steam update removes your save files, here's where Steam moves them to.

You can refer to this guide on how to download game files using the Steam Console.

Edited by LarannKiar
  • Like 1

With great respect I must point out the Steam instructions are not fixed yet. Still goes to Stardew. I did find Fallout 4 on SteamDB but no acf file is present.

Can anyone provide a direct link to appmanifest_413150.acf ?

2 minutes ago, chowdahead said:

With great respect I must point out the Steam instructions are not fixed yet. Still goes to Stardew. I did find Fallout 4 on SteamDB but no acf file is present.

Can anyone provide a direct link to appmanifest_413150.acf ?

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_377160.acf is the default path. 377160 is the AppID of Fallout 4.

Edited by LarannKiar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, LarannKiar said:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_377160.acf is the default path. 377160 is the AppID of Fallout 4.

Thank you! I did find the file where you said it would be. It already had the AppID 377160, I did not have to change it. So I closed it, made it read-only. Then I sacrificed 3 floppy discs to the Unspeakable Gods of Software, just in case.

• Like 1

The steam instructions go to stardew valley and I am very confused at what I'm supposed to be replacing in my Fallout 4 file? Can anyone please help?

"AppState"
{
	"appid"		"413150"
	"Universe"		"1"
	"LauncherPath"		"D:\\Steam\\steam.exe"
	"name"		"Stardew Valley"

Edited by yuk75