How to stop Fallout 4 from updating (Steam/GOG/Xbox)

Pickysaurus

17 hours ago, spaloodacate said:

Thank you for the reply. I haven’t downloaded the next gen update as I stopped the download and then edited the app manifest as per the instructions here. I just copy and pasted the file changes that where posted here. I don’t really know how to do it by looking at the steamDB… 

Take a look at the post by H3Nutcracker on previous thread page (10). The picture marks which numbers to edit.

The information in the appmanifest is divided into parts that correspond to how the game is downloaded. Each part begins with an ID for that part, you need to find that ID in SteamDB and check that the Manifest ID matches with the ID in the appmanifest. If not, you need to replace the ID with the Manifest ID from SteamDB.

As long as you keep the appmanifest read-only (when Steam is running), that's all you need to change.

There will likely be at least one more update before they think they are done. So keeping the manifest read-only is really important. At least until F4SE/related have caught up with the changes since many mods rely on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For people worried by the new update, if you kept the appmanifest as Read Only, all you have to do now is CLOSE steam, unset the Read Only option in the manifest and edit it again with the new IDs. Only a couple of IDs changed this time. REMEMBER IS IMPORTANT THAT STEAM IS NOT RUNNING AT ALL WHILE YOU EDIT IT. And then set it to Read Only again. 

• Like 1

Really maddening, My games from Steam stay on "Do Not Auto Update" and yet, they update them anyway. The October update destroyed my first SkyrimSE character at Lvl 31 right in the middle of Black Reach doing the vampire DLC for the first time. Considering this now us my first FO4 character at 30 may soon need to be scrapped aswell. Ruining the best part(s) of their own product by proving their unsavory business practices.

1 hour ago, NaIlkaiserBeretta said:

i follow all the steps but im still getting the update require on steam 

It may still "remember" that an update was pending. In the appmanifest there are flags that Steam use to keep track of things. Check the following flags (while Steam is not running):

"appid"		"377160"
	"name"		"Fallout 4"
	"StateFlags"		"4"    <--- Should be 4 (Ready to play)
	"UpdateResult"		"0"    <--- 0 means no issues
	"AutoUpdateBehavior"		"1"  <--- Update on Launch
	"AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"		"0" <-- No
	"ScheduledAutoUpdate"		"0" <-- No update pending

Reallly make sure that Steam is not running and that the appmanifest is set to read-only when you are done editing.

If it still doesn't work after that, then one or more of the edited manifest IDs are incorrect. Check SteamDB again.

13 hours ago, r4v1n6m4d said:

It may still "remember" that an update was pending. In the appmanifest there are flags that Steam use to keep track of things. Check the following flags (while Steam is not running):

"appid"		"377160"
	"name"		"Fallout 4"
	"StateFlags"		"4"    <--- Should be 4 (Ready to play)
	"UpdateResult"		"0"    <--- 0 means no issues
	"AutoUpdateBehavior"		"1"  <--- Update on Launch
	"AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning"		"0" <-- No
	"ScheduledAutoUpdate"		"0" <-- No update pending

Reallly make sure that Steam is not running and that the appmanifest is set to read-only when you are done editing.

If it still doesn't work after that, then one or more of the edited manifest IDs are incorrect. Check SteamDB again.

oh thankyou very much its the stateflag=6 and AllowOtherDownloadsWhileRunning = 2 was the problem

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always set steam to offline unless I want to update something.   It literally can't update when it is set to offline, and if you don't use steam products that require it, like online gaming, it isn't an issue.  Once in a while some games force you to go online (Stellaris) temporarily so you can continue playing, but in those cases I make a backup, let it do it's thing, and then revert everything to the backup.

Did I mention I absolutely detest STEAM.  ``I refuse to buy another game from them, and I've replaced most of my games with GOG versions.

• 1 month later...