⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

I moved sse mods folder to another disk and everything is broken now.

Antmarin
Go to solution Solved by showler,

Hello! I wanted to temporarily move the folder with mods (200GB) to another disk. But after moving the folder - my disk was freed only by 20GB (where did 180GB disappeared?). The funniest - now I can’t return this folder back, because The volume of the disk was not cleaned when moving. What's going on here? I really cannot understand how this happened. Maybe you can help me, how could I return this folder back to my disk or generate a new one?
P.S. And I still do not understand where 180GB disappeared. Maybe you have an answer. Thank you.

• Solution

Vortex generally doesn't move mods the game folder.  It makes links to the files in the staging folder.

Copying the game folder with those links still in place is bad and creates problems.

Correct method is to "purge" mods from game folder and then "deploy" them again as needed.

17 hours ago, showler said:

Vortex generally doesn't move mods the game folder.  It makes links to the files in the staging folder.

Copying the game folder with those links still in place is bad and creates problems.

Correct method is to "purge" mods from game folder and then "deploy" them again as needed.

I moved the folder from {USERDATA}\{GAME}\mods and she was 200gb. But the space after moving was not freed. And now I can’t even return this folder to the place back. I first meet something similar. Maybe the vortex somehow reserves the memory on the disk? Or any other ideas? I really don't understand where 180GB disappeared.

The other possibility that occurs is that if you moved the staging folder without removing the links from the game folder then Windows might be mis-reporting those links as taking up the same amount of room as the full file.  So it's a false report.

1 minute ago, showler said:

The other possibility that occurs is that if you moved the staging folder without removing the links from the game folder then Windows might be mis-reporting those links as taking up the same amount of room as the full file.  So it's a false report.

Any ideas how i can fix it? I will be very grateful for the help.

Are you still managing the game in Vortex?

My first instinct would be to move something else from that drive temporarily, move the mod folder back and then try deploying and purging the mods.  That should, I believe, correct the mis-information.

You should then be able to move back the other thing that you temporarily moved from that drive.

All that said, if you're running things tight enough that you had this space problem you might want to look into ways to free up some space.  To prevent future issues and to make sure you have enough room for a swap file.

13 minutes ago, showler said:

Are you still managing the game in Vortex?

My first instinct would be to move something else from that drive temporarily, move the mod folder back and then try deploying and purging the mods.  That should, I believe, correct the mis-information.

You should then be able to move back the other thing that you temporarily moved from that drive.

All that said, if you're running things tight enough that you had this space problem you might want to look into ways to free up some space.  To prevent future issues and to make sure you have enough room for a swap file.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to be possible. I will not be able to free this disk and return the mods folder back. I have an idea - what if I will clean all mods with Vortex? And then I can move the folder back and install them again? How much worse can it do?

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, showler said:

If you still have the option to "purge" the mods, that might do the trick even without moving the folder back.  The main thing is to get rid of all the false files that are reporting exaggerated sizes.

No, this function was not available. Unfortunately, none of deployment methods is not available with the folders of mods on another disk.

Well, the only way out - I changed the mods folder to empty folder in the Vortex settings. And I tried to put the folders with mods into it a little. The memory still does not return. Apparently, this is all Hardlink method. Apparently I did not know how it worked.
Unfortunately, all the dependencies in Vortex were dropped (LOLWHY?!). Everything broke and apparently 1.5 years of gathering mods came to an end due to such ridiculous stupidity. Thanks for the attempt to help. But apparently if you touched the vortex folder, you can bury your modlist.

Edited by Antmarin