Ship Decoration in New/Next Patch

aurreth

So the beta/next update includes a decorator panel in ships.  Ok, we've got mods that can do this, but it's still a nice feature being added.

My question, though, is what happens to your custom decorations if you go into the ship builder and edit your ship?  With mods, if you add a hab, or change your engines, or whatever you get the "everything moved to cargo hold" message and all ship habs are reset to the default, including erasing any custom decorations.  That limits the usability of decorator mods, unless you decide your ship is perfect and you aren't going to tinker with it anymore.

So anyone playing with the beta, is this resetting of every single customization, down to setting a succulent down on a desk, still a thing, or is personalization now carried over through the ship builder?

On 5/8/2024 at 6:23 AM, HeyYou said:

With the official version, (beta patch) your decorations remain even after changing things in the ship builder.

What happens if one modifies their ship's hab with decoration in it? I assume they came up with a similar implementation to "clamped workshop objects" known from Fallout. But I hope items in other habs and the ones stored in containers don't get transferred to the cargo hold.

19 hours ago, LarannKiar said:

What happens if one modifies their ship's hab with decoration in it? I assume they came up with a similar implementation to "clamped workshop objects" known from Fallout. But I hope items in other habs and the ones stored in containers don't get transferred to the cargo hold.

Not sure on that. I am not running the beta, just repeating what I read on Steam forums.

5 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Not sure on that. I am not running the beta, just repeating what I read on Steam forums.

Glad you found at least something.  I searched for a couple of days and all I found was "yay you can decorate ships".  Same fluff without any examination of the actual mechanics. 

3 hours ago, aurreth said:

Glad you found at least something.  I searched for a couple of days and all I found was "yay you can decorate ships".  Same fluff without any examination of the actual mechanics. 

There is a 'decorator' panel in the cockpit of your ship now. It works just like outpost building, not sure what items you are limited to. (obviously, no buildings.....) and the ship builder has "empty" habs, for you to populate as you see fit. I am sure you can also add stuff to existing habs....

Seems to me, that might be an interesting mechanic to use for removing/replacing ladders/doors on your ship as well....

• Like 1