Jump to content
⚠ Website Issue - Mod lists not showing on Collections ×

Steam updated game without permission


aurreth

Recommended Posts

Have the game set to only update on launch, and never launch through Steam to avoid upgrading before mods have caught up.  Or so I thought!  It appears Steam decided to "fix" that setting on it's own.

There really needs to be a setting for "no, don't f*#@ing update this unless I specifically tell you to do so, and don't f*#@ing change my settings, EVER".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have issues with steam forgetting my settings as well. I have it set to Offline Mode, Steam Cloud Disabled, and to start in my library. It will randomly 'forget' those settings, go back online, start on the store page, etc. It's HIGHLY annoying, and steam support was zero help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd planned on waiting until the majority of my mods were updatable.  I was even playing and working on mods this morning for several hours without issue.  Then bam, without me changing anything I start getting the SFSE version mismatch.

Jerks.  If Vortex profile support worked for Starfield I could work on some of my mods at least, but last time I tried that it completely screwed up everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From whatever reasons, Steam sometimes "forgets" the "update the game when launching" setting..

Does it help if one renames the installation folder from "Starfield" to "Starfield_backup" and creates an empty folder for Starfield the day before the update is released? Just for Steam I mean. I haven't tried it but it may worth giving a try. It may redownload the whole game though.. when verifying the files and detects that many are missing.. I'm downloading the update now manually.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LarannKiar said:

From whatever reasons, Steam sometimes "forgets" the "update the game when launching" setting..

Does it help if one renames the installation folder from "Starfield" to "Starfield_backup" and creates an empty folder for Starfield the day before the update is released? Just for Steam I mean. I haven't tried it but it may worth giving a try. It may redownload the whole game though.. when verifying the files and detects that many are missing.. I'm downloading the update now manually.

 

I was just bitching because I was in the middle of star system crafting, and now I'm stuck for days because I can't test anything.  I could disable SFSE mods, but I'd likely screw up my save.  Not that that is such a big deal but CharGenMenu has been broken for two patches now and I soooo don't want to lose my face lol

I think I tried copying the folder at one time for FO4 and it didn't work.  I seem to remember Steam wouldn't recognize it and downloaded the entire game again.  It's just a mess.

There's one for you Larann.  xEdit script to read a CharGen json file and insert it into a biometric ID.  Not as convenient as CharGenMenu, but would definitely be a win for those of us that can use an editor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, aurreth said:

I was just bitching because I was in the middle of star system crafting, and now I'm stuck for days because I can't test anything.  I could disable SFSE mods, but I'd likely screw up my save.  Not that that is such a big deal but CharGenMenu has been broken for two patches now and I soooo don't want to lose my face lol

I think I tried copying the folder at one time for FO4 and it didn't work.  I seem to remember Steam wouldn't recognize it and downloaded the entire game again.  It's just a mess.

There's one for you Larann.  xEdit script to read a CharGen json file and insert it into a biometric ID.  Not as convenient as CharGenMenu, but would definitely be a win for those of us that can use an editor.

Hmm, I made something similar earlier. I'll look into it but it may take a while.. By the way, I have a half-made face export/importer for Starfield.. it was supposed to be a simple json export/importer, no custom interface, just console based.. It exports many facial data but not all. As far as I remember, Starfield's chargen menu takes an NPC as character to edit, then internally calls CopyAppearance() to copy the facial and body data from the NPC to the player when the CharGenMenu is exited. The vanilla code always creates references for "Menu Actors" and inventory items by the way, some of the rushed menus even have a much slower inventory ref rendering due to more expensive functions, i.e. when one hovers their mouse over an item in ContainerMenu compared to BarterMenu. Haven't checked the menus in v1.11.36 yet though.

If you don't need to keep Steam connected, you can try turning on offline mode. That should be reliable, I think..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, LarannKiar said:

If you don't need to keep Steam connected, you can try turning on offline mode. That should be reliable, I think..

I don't remember why I had it set online.  Prolly from a while back playing something with a friend.  I'll take it offline, thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Another trick to avoid unwanted updates is to set your  appmanifest_1716740.acf file in your Steam/steamapps folder to "read only". That'll prevent any updates in the event your offline mode decides to go online. I'm doing this as well as running in offline mode. 

Edited by lostinwhere
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done, thanks.  I'm stuck with the waiting game, again sigh, this time around, but hopefully my update path goes according to plan next time.  Most things are being updated, but have to wait on Real Time Form Patcher (RTFP) to be functional.

Larann, is there a specific reason to the order you update your mods?  I ask because, at least for me, GetRefInfo is more useful than Console Output To File, but you always seem to update the latter first.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2024 at 12:08 PM, aurreth said:

Have the game set to only update on launch, and never launch through Steam to avoid upgrading before mods have caught up.  Or so I thought!  It appears Steam decided to "fix" that setting on it's own.

There really needs to be a setting for "no, don't f*#@ing update this unless I specifically tell you to do so, and don't f*#@ing change my settings, EVER".

same thing happened to me with FO4 "next gen" BS... its hella frustrating.  sorry you had to deal with that nonsense

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...