Sneak attack bug

Assuming that all sneak edits are truly removed from Ascension.esp, I would try to disable PTSneakPenalties (seems harmless enough, but as you have problem with sneaking...) and AV Uncapper (both OBSE plugin and init esp - I suspect that additional computations in armor and weapon area could be indirectly responsible for triggering this bug too). Oblivion in many cases isn't prepared to handle too high values of skills or attributes, resulting in seemingly strange effects (like enemies not attacking you due too high personality etc.). Sadly if it fails, I don't know what to suggest more, as rest of list seems OK (maybe to show OBSE plugins too).

I have the AV Uncapper installed, and the only thing I have that may change sneak values is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.  This bug has never happened to me, and I love doing sneak kills on everything I can sneak up on.

I am also using Oblivion Reloaded for graphics.  It requires this setting in the Oblivion.ini file:

bAllowPartialPrecision=1

Any chance that has anything to do with it?  Just a wild guess, since nothing else occurs to me.

EDIT: Something else occurred to me.  If you use RefScope on that NPC, it will tell you the ID of the script (if any) on the NPC.  A bad script could cause that behavior.  You can also look at what Active Effects are on the NPC.

Edited by GamerRick

8 hours ago, GamerRick said:

EDIT: Something else occurred to me.  If you use RefScope on that NPC, it will tell you the ID of the script (if any) on the NPC.  A bad script could cause that behavior.  You can also look at what Active Effects are on the NPC.

Interesting ill do it to the next enemy that does this. I dont use oblivion reloaded. As to differemt response suggesting sneak penalties or av uncapper i really hope not cause sneak without that mod at high levels is silly. And av uncapper makes it so i can play a long play without maxing out all stats which kinda defeats the purpose of an rpg character

On 6/12/2024 at 11:00 PM, GamerRick said:

I have the AV Uncapper installed, and the only thing I have that may change sneak values is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.  This bug has never happened to me, and I love doing sneak kills on everything I can sneak up on.

I am also using Oblivion Reloaded for graphics.  It requires this setting in the Oblivion.ini file:

bAllowPartialPrecision=1

Any chance that has anything to do with it?  Just a wild guess, since nothing else occurs to me.

That's in my opinion points back at Ascension as a main culprit, even when sneak edits were removed, as this mod triggering this bug was confirmed in its comments section. Disabling partial precission would serve as valid workaround, if precission rounding errors are truly behind this. Script and magic effect triggering this problem is a valid thought too, but for this case I think is unlikely because it would be seen more frequent (like using begin OnDeath event and the like). Besides it expands the search area too much, and as I'm not a user of all of these mods, even with elimination process it's beyond my abilities and free time to download and analyze al of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Some mod is doing a SetDisabled command on the NPC and failing to undo it.  It could be a mod that replaces their inventory (or removes things) when they die, like Enhanced Economy can be set to remove things to make loot scarcer, but I never use that feature and don't know if they would set it to destroyed for some reason.   That's the only thing I know of that could cause the things you're seeing.

23 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

It's not Enhanced Economy. Try uninstalling Ascension. I think you'll find the bug goes away.

TheNiceOne and PushTheWinButton are two of the most brilliant scripters I have encountered.  I just looked over Ascension's scripts and didn't see anything suspicious. 

But, you should start deactivating one mod at a time until the problem stops.