Starfield Creation Kit Error When Packing Files

Hi. I'm trying to upload one of my Nexus Starfield mods for Xbox, but the new Creation Kit blows an error when making the archive: "File(s) failed to validate. textures/actors/human/faces/eyes/iris_red_color.dds: Invalid Platform".  I'm able to use the creation kit to pack the same file for PC without an error. Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

Are you signed into your Microsoft account with Edge set as your default browser?

Just kidding.  The DDS format on that file is probably one that Xbox doesn't support.  No idea which one you should be using, sorry.

For Bethesda games different things need different DDS formats.  Some images have to be BC5, some BC7 (or whatever the letters are lol).  There's probably a guide somewhere.  If not, look for one for Fallout 4, since most of the base structure of Starfield is taken from it directly.

Not sure what image editor you are using.  I use Paint.net, which has built in DDS support, and it seems to handle the conversions really well.

17 hours ago, sp0ckrates said:

Any thoughts on what might be the cause?

What is the original format of the file? That error message is unfortunately rather vague, I have no idea what 'Invalid platform' means in the context of DDS files. AFAIK most of the BCn formats should work on both Xbox and PC. There are a few Xbox-specific DDS formats, but I would expect the CK to handle the conversion to those formats.

I am the author of the Paint.NET DDS plugin, but I have very little experience with the CK and have never tried to port a mod to Xbox.

I have found IrfanView to be very handy to get information on image files. Open the DDS file and type "i" for information and it will give you the image properties. Specifically it will tell you which compression was used (DXT level).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0xC0000005 said:

What is the original format of the file? That error message is unfortunately rather vague, I have no idea what 'Invalid platform' means in the context of DDS files. AFAIK most of the BCn formats should work on both Xbox and PC. There are a few Xbox-specific DDS formats, but I would expect the CK to handle the conversion to those formats.

I am the author of the Paint.NET DDS plugin, but I have very little experience with the CK and have never tried to port a mod to Xbox.

DDS. I'm simply editing existing textures and saving them in the same file format.

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

I have found IrfanView to be very handy to get information on image files. Open the DDS file and type "i" for information and it will give you the image properties. Specifically it will tell you which compression was used (DXT level).

Nice! I'll try that. My thought, though is that Xbox requires different types of files than PC. Maybe something more compressed. But I'm just guessing that's why I and other mod authors are reporting the same issue.