Spent a Day Trouble Shooting Next Gen

Karna5

As many of you know, I had around four hundred plugins and hundreds more mods installed, and I deliberately allowed the Next Gen update to kick in for me in part because I have 10.5 thousand in-game hours with Fallout 4 and don't mind being out of action to play other games.

At first I waited for updates to mods like F4SE, address library, LooksMenu and the like to be complete. After updating everything I could find F4SE related, I tried to launch the game. It crashed to desktop before hitting main menu.

Solving the Crashes

Yesterday I decided to trouble shoot this, and I've spent the last 24 hours or so working on the issue. First I disabled all my plugins (taking screen shots to help me know what to restore) and gradually activated a few at a time to identify what was causing the crashes.

It turns out every plugin I was using which altered or added Image Space Adapter records was crashing the game. In hindsight this makes sense as the Next Gen update specifically targets graphics. So I disabled those plugins and continued with testing.

Can't Click Pop-Ups

If anything, be it an MCM dialogue or a system message such as one telling me some mods are no longer installed, opens a pop-up asking me to confirm the message, I cannot close the pop-up. I can't use E nor Return not Mouse Click to do it. I still have not solved this, and I tried uninstalling everything I could think of which might change the interface.

However, I did verify whatever is causing this is F4SE related because if I launch the game directly through Steam (not using F4SE launcher), I can close pop ups fine.

Testing Other Things

As I want to use F4SE because most mods I like (such as Advanced Animation Framework, Rename Everything, tons of Quest Mods and more) use F4SE, I installed the mods I wanted (even if it means I can't click pop up boxes) to see what worked.

Advanced Animation Framework

Initially it wouldn't activate fully, stuck at 80%, and after trying to solve it myself I gave up and searched Loverlab and found there's a next gen update to LL_FourPlay which isn't included in the latest version of AAF nor Real Handcuffs or anything which usually installs that. So I updated LL_FourPlay, and that allowed AAF to fully activate.

All animations seem to work fine, though I can't get male sexual organs to go erect during animations. I spent a while trying to solve that and could not, so I gave up as that's not terribly important to me. It's bad for immersion but not bad for gameplay.

Having spent 24 hours straight trouble shooting next gen, I'm giving up and will wait a month or two more to see what additional updates come from major mods. I'll move onto Skyrim and/or Cyberpunk 2077 and maybe even Baldur's Gate 3 until I feel it's time to try again Fallout 4.

In summary, I was not able to solve the following issues:

• I cannot click pop-ups if I launch through F4SE
  • Male genitals do not become erect during animations
  • I'll have to use F4Edit to redo/fix any plugins which change or add ISA records.

I'm done with my trouble shooting and testing for now. I just figured I'd share the results of my work.

🙂

Post Script:  I forgot to mention that OCBPC does not yet work with Next Gen. Its DLL file needs to be updated. That's another reason I plan to wait another month or two before continuing with the trouble shooting.

Post post script: I also forgot to mention that my tests identified "Sup F4SE" mod as causing an infinite loading screen. So I had to uninstall that and anything else which depends on it (such as Amputator).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for this posting. Yes, I fear an update in near future will cause a lot of problems on heavy modded games. Maybe it would be good idea to use this thread as a collection for problems with mods after update and perhaps with possible solutions or workarounds.

I have made a list of *my* F4SE dependent mods and look for updates. Some day I might decide to give it a try and about mods I can live without, because they don't get an update.

But one thing I know for sure. Before I even think of updating I make a copy of the entire Fallout 4 folder, MyGames\Fallout4, the plugins.txt and the folders my mod manager created for Fallout 4. So I can turn back. I even saved the old Creation Kit. The advantage should be that in case I have to play back my saved files Steam will still believe my game is updated as long as I not verify the game files.

• Like 2

If Bethesda breaks enough things Fallout:London will never release - right?   Hehe.

Bethesda's motto.   Lets fix (break) what isn't broke, not fix what is broke and make it a living nightmare for Fallout:London to release...

I swear this seems like Bethesda's motivation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fraquar said:

If Bethesda breaks enough things Fallout:London will never release - right?   Hehe....

You're not wrong, but so long as Fallout New London doesn't depend on F4SE and doesn't do much with Image Space Adapter records, it should largely be immune to what has broken.

I haven't bothered trying to fix the ISA records yet and will wait until basic things like Pop Up messages, AAF, OCBPC and the like are functional. At that point I'll probably crack open FO4Edit and recreate the ISA records I use (which would mean I'd have to fix four plugins and somewhere between 50 or a few hundred records give or take).

I confess I'm more than a little puzzled why they didn't do the Skyrim/SkyrimSE model. They could have at least earned sales from new games if they'd have made the "Next Gen" version a new game. I'm guessing their Bethnet (whatever it's called) was the reason. Maybe they didn't want to host two platforms for their creation club.

It's hard for me not to imagine that Fallout:London is their inspiration (and target) for this release.

This so-called "update" was supposed to release last year - even after Fallout:London delayed release due to Starfield release.

So why didn't they?   Surely wasn't because they needed moar time to fix what wasn't broken....

-----

Signed, The Magic Bullet doesn't exist.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2024 at 3:21 AM, Karna5 said:

I can't get male sexual organs to go erect during animations.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

It's bad for immersion

I agree.

• Haha 1

my tests identified "Sup F4SE" mod as causing an infinite loading screen.

Not surprising. SUP F4SE doesn't currently support the NG dumpster fire.

Advanced Animation Framework

That reminds me, Native Animation Framework (NAF) also hasn't been updated for NG yet. Once it does, I'd recommend giving it a try if you haven't already. Can do a lot of cool things with it (such as creating new animations in-game).