Ship interior won't render after using Ship Builder, then crashes...

JeffSon

I've been looking all over for a fix for this.  It doesn't matter if I'm using vanilla load or modded.  

After buying or capturing a ship, when you board it, I just fall through the floor over and over again.  If I try to go back to the ship builder to look for what module might have caused the bug, the game crashes back to the desktop (PC).  This has only happened since the last update (6/2024).  Everything was going fine until then.  This sounds like a bug that existed when the game was released, but I haven't seen any fixes (nor can I seem to find them).

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Does it happen with every ship? I have had issues with a few of 'em, but, usually, getting a different ship solves the issue, and then I can modify to my hearts content.

I had a similar issue with one specific ship, I must have had some mod that i put something on and then removed, or it could just be the game.

Can you try upgrading the ship and putting a different weapon in it instead of building it? I wound up in my save just deleting the ship from the ship screen despite having customized it.

There are a couple of the new empty habs that are broken.  How to explain this:

At every location where a door can be generated there are actually two wall pieces, one for "no door" and one for "door".  Which one is used depends on, well, if there is a door there or not.  But on some of the empty habs, for example the Nova 3x2 empty, one of those pieces, the "with door" one, isn't there.  If a door is placed at that point the wall piece is missing, and the floor that goes with it, and you fall through.

That's the non-technical explanation.  Technical, there is a broken transform for that section of the hab that causes a working segment to be replaced with nothing and you are left with a gap in the floor and wall.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2024 at 8:47 PM, HeyYou said:

Does it happen with every ship? I have had issues with a few of 'em, but, usually, getting a different ship solves the issue, and then I can modify to my hearts content.

It happens with every ship except the named ones (Frontier, Kepler R, etc.)  I can do an initial modification, I can buy and sell, but...if I step one foot on board...I fall through the floor.  Then, if I try to go back to the ship builder to figure out what's causing the problem, the game crashes to the desktop.  Every time.

Every ship.

In addition to what others have already posted, since you state you are using mods, are you using any that were created before the release of the CK on June 9 - because if so, that could be a likely source of issues.  Basically, any plugin mod which was not made using the CK or updated using the CK should not be used, and if you have them in your build, then you should roll back to a save made before they were installed and remove them, as just uninstalling and continuing on that same save will not work, as mod data is baked into the save and cannot be removed (and, do NOT use ANY .esp plugins - they are for development use only and WILL cause issues in your game if you attempt to use them).

If you were using pre-CK plugins, your best bet really is to start completely fresh and mod the game anew, only using CK created plugins, saving before you add each mod or group of mods, and playing/testing for a while to ensure they work as they should.  It may not be what you want to hear, but it is just good modding practice.

Also, it should be pointed out that at this juncture, there are no mod managers that are currently supported - regardless of what others may state - so using any one of them will have the very distinct possibility of producing errors in the game.  As of now, the only supported methods of installing mods is via the ingame Creations, or by manually installing them, and then activating the plugin (if any) via the ingame Creations tool.  Hopefully, managers will be released soon that are Starfield compatible, as there is a lot of work being done on them and good progress being made, but until that point in time, the only tool that is now fully compatible with Starfield, is LOOT.  Not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.

Good luck!

Edited by smr1957
added new information re: mod data being baked into the save

On 7/23/2024 at 5:03 AM, smr1957 said:

In addition to what others have already posted, since you state you are using mods, are you using any that were created before the release of the CK on June 9 - because if so, that could be a likely source of issues.  Basically, any plugin mod which was not made using the CK or updated using the CK should not be used, and if you have them in your build, then you should roll back to a save made before they were installed and remove them (and, do NOT use ANY .esp plugins - they are for development use only and WILL cause issues in your game if you attempt to use them).

If you were using pre-CK plugins, your best bet really is to start completely fresh and mod the game anew, only using CK created plugins, saving before you add each mod or group of mods, and playing/testing for a while to ensure they work as they should.  It may not be what you want to hear, but it is just good modding practice.

Also, it should be pointed out that at this juncture, there are no mod managers that are currently supported - regardless of what others may state - so using any one of them will have the very distinct possibility of producing errors in the game.  As of now, the only supported methods of installing mods is via the ingame Creations, or by manually installing them, and then activating the plugin (if any) via the ingame Creations tool.  Hopefully, managers will be released soon that are Starfield compatible, as there is a lot of work being done on them and good progress being made, but until that point in time, the only tool that is now fully compatible with Starfield, is LOOT.  Not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.

Good luck!

Well...darn.  That completely flames a couple hundred hours of gameplay.  The only one that I'm using that is still pre-CK is a Darkstar mod that crashes the game if I disable it.  I haven't figured that one out either.

Now, I can move onto the "I'm stuck in the inventory screen and can't get out" problem...

Also, thank you so much to everyone who replied to this.  I know it seems trite, but I live alone and gaming after work is one of the ways I use to reduce stress.  When s**t doesn't work right, that adds to the stress.  This is really one of the first times I've reached out for help and the fact that I received useful information in return means a lot.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, JeffSon said:

Also, thank you so much to everyone who replied to this.  I know it seems trite, but I live alone and gaming after work is one of the ways I use to reduce stress.  When s**t doesn't work right, that adds to the stress.  This is really one of the first times I've reached out for help and the fact that I received useful information in return means a lot.

Thank you.

It's really not so trite when you are trying to relax and play a game that you have really been looking forward to having some time in - and that applies to anyone who enjoys a good gaming session.  The people here may not always have a solution to a person's issue with the game, but usually a good percentage of the time someone will (though sometimes, it may not necessarily be a pleasant solution - such as rolling back or starting over). Still, it's better than flailing about in the dark on one's own.

Good gaming, JeffSon, and feel free to reach out whenever you have the need to!

As for your issue of not being able 'exiting inventory screen and being stuck', I did have that problem before, unfortunately dont remember exactly which mod it was, but it was a mod, I believe I disabled some UI mods, also tried disabling "undelayed menus" mod. Might be a start at least.

Cheers!