Life changing decision

Elrol

What Should Elrol Do?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Should Elrol Do?

• Stay Home For 2 Years For College
    • Go Ahead And Leave For College

Well, for a time now I've been debating a decision within my mind. After much deliberation, I've still come to no definite conclusion. Therefore I"m asking the assistance of everyone here. What should I do? Ok here's the deal.

I can't decide, between two colleges, which one to go to. One is local in the town I live in, and the other is about a 4 hour drive from here. The descripts and situations of each are as follows.

If I stay home I can live at home; maybe, maybe not. I already have a good job here, so I would have a good financial income. I wouldn't have to pay for rent, so there's more money to pay for college. And I won't have to pay for utilites or groceries, if I live at home. I have a few friends who are staying here, and they'll be here to hang out with. Now if I stay home, I'm still going to the other college after I finish my Basics. So either way I end up graduating from the second college.

Now If I go off, I'll have to get an apartment, pay rent on it, buy groceries, etc. But I'll be wonderful real life experience. There's a good number of my friends going here too that I can room with or hang with or whatever. I'll have more bills to pay however, and a 4 hour drive if I want to come back home to see people. The tuition is about 300 dollars difference between this one and the other. I'll have to find another job, since I'll have to quit the one I have now, which is a good job.

That's the situation. Time is slowly running out, and I've got to make a decision. Should I stay here for two years then go to the other college, or go straight on to the other college?

-The Raven-thinking deeply, very deeply.......drowning

There's a lot to be said for learning to live without parental support as soon as you can. After all it's easier to adapt when young. Just how easy will it be for you to get a job in the new town? If it's relatively easy that might help with 'work experience', always useful when looking for something permanent.

I've taken a gap year (in your case it will be more like two) before going to uni for further education and I'd recommend it to anyone. As far as I saw it, I'd been doing exams at the beginning of summer for 5 years straight (SATs, Mock GCSEs, GCSEs, AS Levels, A Levels) and I might just have exploded if I had to do it for another three years in a row.

I stayed at home and worked, it's been the most easy year of my life and I feel I've earnt it, surviving 13 straight years of bad British education.

If you could stay at home and build up your funds before moving onto this college that you have to go to, then why not? Enjoy your time at home, learn something at college and try not to waste it all away down the local boozer!

True. Instead of paying rent, etc... save all that money for education/college later. Unless you have a strong chance of getting a decent job in the new location, that is. If you decide on the second, you could always get an apartment [or similar place] with your friends and split the rent.

I should also point out that if i wait to go off to college I won't have the opportunity to room with anyone I know, as they will already have found roomates. Yet another problem to consider.

-The Raven-tired...

Archived