NMM 0.47.0 "forced" update to fix the download issues

Dark0ne

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I suggest a compromise between checking for updates every time NMM is launched and having the user do it manually? Let NMM check for updates on a schedule. It can be any sort of schedule really, after x number of starts it looks for an update, on the 15th of every month it looks for an update, or even after 2 weeks it looks for an update.

All other behavior should remain the same. Ask the user if they want an update and so on.

I believe this is a better solution, assuming I understand the OP. Its a nice middle ground that benefits users, we are a forgetful bunch and may not think to log in and check for updates, and it helps elevate support troubles/costs by helping users keep up to date with the latest version of NMM.

Thanks for all the hard work, NMM rocks!

In response to post #11697765.

You can disable NMM from checking for updates on startup if you so wish, or make it search every 1 to 7 days, if that's what you meant as a schedule. You can also manually check for updates with the icon in the top-right corner (that looks like a globe). In case I understood you right. Edited by eSoDian

In response to post #11688392. #11695180 is also a reply to the same post.

Normally I don't speak about MO here in the news but posted this to clarify some things Cebrions said.

I'm one of the moderators of the official MO support forum on S.T.E.P. MO also has a Nexus forum. Both have lots of contents and there is a good support for MO by (just like NMM has I assume). MO supports 4 games: Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, and SkyrimFallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim. NMM supports more games.

MO and NMM have a difference audience, both are good programs for that specific audience. Its up to the user to decide what he/she likes and/or needs. There is wiki for MO which will explain what it does. In the resources tab there are 5~videos which explain what is does, You can have NMM and MO installed at the same but to use MO to the fullest the best effect you get when you use only MO. MO allows you to reorder the installation order of mods on the fly, has search, fillters and it has profiles (being worked on for NMM). You can use NMM for games not supported by MO and and use MO for the rest. Download with manager works for both NMM and MO in that situation. In the advanced section of the MO the virtual filing system is explained, whick keeps the <Skyrim>/data directory in a virgin state. MO has a NMM importer to migrate from NMM to MO. That plugin currently has as a drawback that 'overwritten' files are not transferred to MO. If you enable in MO all mods you had enabled in NMM the importer works correctly. The importer mentions which mods had overwritten files and need to be installed again to also get the missing files - only needed if you disable mods in MO. I'm still planning to enhance the NMM importer plugin, so Tannin (author MO) can concentrate on MO but RL raised its head. In the wiki is also explained how to migrate manually. MO is not a silver bullet and its limited to 32bits programs. NMM is 64 bits which is great for memory hungry skyproc patchers like Automatic Variants (32 bits Java limited to approx 1.2 GB).

Been using MO since May 2012 after I personally had outgrown the functionality of NMM. Again NMM and MO are very good mod managers but tailored for a different audience. MO has a bit of learning curve but Ï think the following quote of a user sums its up quit nicely: "Yes, I spent 4 hours trying to figure it out when I switched over from NMM, and yes I had some frustrating moments, but once it clicks, holy s*** it clicks.". Edited by wolverine2710