The last poster wins

TheCalliton

The chi cheemaun i went to that island on that ferry. Although i was sick that day.. :sick:

Yes it does know how to do that sometimes. I've made so many crossings on it that I probably have paid down a good chunk of it's cost. My favourite was the Nindeweyma back when they ran two ferries ... had some nice spots you could stretch out and catch a few ZZZs during the crossing. The Chi Cheemaun was designed to discourage that and the most recent interior "upgrades" eliminated the last couple of spots to lay down. I think they call that "progress".

Understood.

My specification was land intended to suggest prime soil for growing food.

That's what they were growing in these underground parking garages Pagafyr, though I will admit that outside of the mushrooms I didn't recognise any of the stuff seen being harvested and prepared for shipment/consumption. I'm with you on this ... I'd rather stick to someplace that at least sees sunshine for any home grown I may be cultivating (and no, even though it may be legal here in Canada I'm not talking about that kind of home grown).

Manitoulin Island has a fair amount of under utilised farmland, but a lot of it isn't good for much more than grazing/hay production because the topsoil is only inches deep in places. I'll be there in a coupe of months ... want me to keep an eye out for you??

Thanks for the offer.

All the land that is good for growing outdoors is being kept by the folks along both sides of the border between Canada and the U.S. I took a road trip along an old road that used to be the moonshine runners route that brought moonshine from CA into Montana then East to the coast. Steamboats were first to buy some, to keep their ships stocked for the rich travelers headed West on the Steamships at $14,000.00 for a one way ticket from the East to Three Forks, MT USA during prohibition. The road into Great Falls Anaconda Companies Boom Town was fondly referred to as Bootlegger's Trail.

All along border of CA and USA is cropland starting ten miles north of Great Falls's Bootlegger Trail. Starting at Carter Montana and ending about forty miles north of the Border into Alberta CA. The cropland that is any good for gardening is being kept for growing the Crop Growers families vegetable Winter stock.

The only land I found available is about 750 miles East of Montana and about 140 miles North of St Paul/Minneapolis. By the time I finish writing this; the land may be sold.

It's near to a water supply and is under the 49th Parallel in the U.S.A. side. What I thought was funny about the dividing line actually occurred because of problems that occurred while actually cutting the trees down for making the border line. It wasn't because of someone with the hiccups, but that's funnier in my opinion.

Interesting note: I found a story explaining why the 49th Parallel is isn't a straight line.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/

For those who slept through geography and the surveyor's class; the 49th parallel is the dividing line for Canada and United States.

Untouched land is, or was, for sale under the 49th Parallel line. Pristine forest land that retired people with the cash might buy parcels up for their retirement homes. Because of the fact I didn't know about the real border line and how difficult it was to make it I thought maybe someone hiccuped while they were drawing the 49th Parallel line on the map. Because the way the line was drawn straight up to that point it suddenly rose and drifted to the right and almost came straight back down to a point where it was aligned again with the straight line before it. It's quite a large plot of land designated as U. S. A..

As is my usual method of getting some elderly joy is, is to use the Google Search Engine; I found a few things of historical interest to make my surfing more interesting.

I found a story explaining why the 49th Parallel is that way.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/a-not-so-straight-story/

For those who slept through geography and the surveyor's class that told us that George Washington (the 1st elected president of the United States) was a Surveyor; the 49th parallel is the dividing line for Canada and United States.

Nice read Pagafyr, thanks. I knew about the NW Angle but not that even the survey markers varied that much north and south of the actual 49th. I have some experience with marine celestial navigation so it really isn't that surprising.

I like taking what I call "Google Map trips" during the winter. If you are up to it drop the StreetView guy down at the intersection of Purvis Drive and Water St in Gore Bay Ont. (you'll need to click in zoom a couple of clicks and scroll up so you can also see the Split Rail Brewing Co and William Purvis Marine Museum). To the west is the boatyard my old girl is wintering in and to the SE is the launch well we use to get the boats in and out.

As I've learned in the past when trying to give "Google Map guided tours" not everyone gets served the same streetview images, but if you see a sailboat sitting in the launchwell with the mast still up but the boom off and an old guy working either on the foredeck or in the cockpit I'll apologise for not waving hello.

The marker on the Google Map dropped me close to Split Rail Brewing Co. I turned about so I got a view of the sailing ships. I got to see the Harbor Centre building off Lighthouse Rd. A diesel with a ship on the trailer was parked out front. I looked at the scenery for a moment, any longer and I would have drifted off to sleep dreaming. I saw a sign directing my attention to the Gore Bay Museum. I turned off near the tennis courts. I wondered if the museum had a online tour of the inside.

I looked around a bit. Saw some work that needed doing on a couple of different places. Simple tasks I know how to do. Still shots of no one around, save one biker with a white beard on his chin and a dome style helmet on, and me too far away to knock on their door and offer my services.

You're welcome!

What kind of ship, make and model, do you give your sailing heart attention to? (I prefer calling anything that doesn't require oars a ship.)

The picture for Street Level is from 2014. I'm taking in the scenic warm looking day.

LOL ... you were on the right trip Pagafyr (and didn't even need to leave the farm, as they say in the song). If you saw the boat being loaded on the transport flatbed you only needed to turn to face south and then use the click and wait for the view to move south down the road. The biker shots are from pictures that people upload I believe (whereas the ones on the road are from the GoogleMaps car when it drove past ... funny thing is I've seen it go by more than once, each instance separated by a few years time). If you scroll down the road to close to the red van with a small sailboat on a trailer then look east you'll see me and the old girl.

The old girl is a 1964 Hinterhoeller 27 sailboat ... and our relationship is most accurately described as "the boat that owns me is an HR 27". She has owned me for nearly 40 years.

There is always plenty to do around the boatyard. I often get sidetracked from my own work on various other boat's projects. We are by and large an aging group and many hands make light work.

I was able to peer from the road between the red van where it's boat is hitched up. If that's you the picture is kind of fuzzy trying to zoom in close. I made out a white hat, a bubble jacket, blue jeans, and with some long rods? Standing on the ships hull forward of the cabin.

Yes that's me, assembling the forward crutch I use to support the mast once it is lowered. If you venture a little way back to the north along the road, just past the grey Chevy pickup and look west you'll see my first XTerra with a couple of my kayaks on the roof racks.

Such visits are part of what keeps me through the winter. Only a bit more than 2 months away from her now.

That was fun seeing a 2014 pix Google made with you in it. You're a Google Celebrity. I'm a Google Local Guide. I travel to museum mostly. I got intrigued by one at the Museum of the Rockies. I got to see the last of the exhibits on display of the inside of the Moon spaceship and how it was stocked for the journey to the Moon for 1969. They've since moved on and changed that display room several times. Once it was all about Alligators and Crocodiles. They had live ones. The big deal about that museum is it is one of the first to have a local discovery made in Montana by a guy named Mr. Jack Horner. In recent developments 3 whole T-Rex were donated and it is now known they weren't able to run. Staggered a lot and poked their big head down to pick up food like a chicken.

I moved away from the computer right after I posted the last post and discovered it was snowing. That was 4 hours ago. I looked out again a few minutes ago and it appears to have stopped. There is almost enough snow on the Sub to merit getting out the scraper and brush tool. I saw the forecast on a Sharp Weather Station, but I thought it was getting warm enough out for rain. The 24 hour forecast had lightning. Instead we got snow. Cloudy in 12 and Sunny in 24 now.

The land I was looking at is in Minnesota. From the Realestate pictures it looked like a good prospect. At least until I got the view of the road to it. It's near a park and recreation area mostly used by people that sail around in small ships.

Congratulations! You're a Google Star!