The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Except love, the reason I thank that instinct every day, if it wasn't for love I'd be dead a long time ago.

I agree. Though I wouldn't be dead, love is my main reason why it's worth living and my biggest goal in life.

And on the topic of obeying until you die, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Reason why I chose the artist's path, a risky one, but if done right a rewarding one as well. Now just to do it right.

(And I too dislike anatomy while we're at it.)

Edited by Iv000

Oh man those 60's pop songs have really got us fooled. We long for that warmth - those waves of endorphins when we see the one we have chosen to love. So certain we are, that Love exists, that it is more than emotional attachment confused with lust. It scares us, to live without it for one second once we feel it. Love is a lie we're all comfortable believing. if even just for a moment more than we know the truth.

Well that's my soliloquy for the day.

BAZINGA.

*a biga** post*

I was talking about the instinct itself, not the will to die. It's not someting you can shut down, even if you really want to die and have absolutely no will to live, you'll still feel it trying to stop you. It's a primitive part of your brain that stops you from killing yourself when you want to, a "self-preservation instinct".

The only way to bypass it is to have a very strong will and one hell of a determination. I did so three times, failed all three due to unforseen circumstances (like my friend entering my garage to borrow a drill when I tried to hang myself). While I was tying the noose, I could feel my whole body trying to stop me, my hands were shaking, my legs stopped listening to me, my muscles were spasming but I beat it.

I was very determined, I didn't question what I was doing, all I wanted was to end it and yet my body tried to stop me. That's what I was talking about, not the actual thought, nor the method but the self-preservation instinct that takes control when your mind finds out your life is threatened.

Love isn't only meant to be shared in a romantic way and only with your partner. Love is meant to be shared with the whole world not only a few people. I would also call it being kind and unselfish. The romantic part is something special.

And love is also about giving and not expecting anything in return, when you do that, then you know the true meaning of love.

*a biga** post*

I was talking about the instinct itself, not the will to die. It's not someting you can shut down, even if you really want to die and have absolutely no will to live, you'll still feel it trying to stop you. It's a primitive part of your brain that stops you from killing yourself when you want to, a "self-preservation instinct".

The only way to bypass it is to have a very strong will and one hell of a determination. I did so three times, failed all three due to unforseen circumstances (like my friend entering my garage to borrow a drill when I tried to hang myself). While I was tying the noose, I could feel my whole body trying to stop me, my hands were shaking, my legs stopped listening to me, my muscles were spasming but I beat it.

I was very determined, I didn't question what I was doing, all I wanted was to end it and yet my body tried to stop me. That's what I was talking about, not the actual thought, nor the method but the self-preservation instinct that takes control when your mind finds out your life is threatened.

I know, hence why I said, you have to be a very very long way down a very dark road, or mentally incapacitated to be truly past that instinct. My point is that some people probably do get to that point, just they are very very few in number.

You'd have to have conditioned your mind one way or another to be able to it, same as for most people it takes a lot of conditioning to allow them to kill someone else outside of anger.

I'm just intrigued by the motivational aspect too, plus the difference between wanting to die and not wanting to live, and the fact that at any one time different parts of a suicidal persons brain and conciousness probably feel at odds with each other about the reason to do it, and even whether to do it at all.

I find it quite fascinating (as thinking beings with free will) how little the concious, controlled and controllable part of our brains is actually in charge and this is very much exposed by what you're talking about.

I said i would take a screenshot if it ever reached around 29c http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/teehee.gif just living up to my word.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/35biavm.jpg