The last poster wins

TheCalliton

RE anxiety/depression/meds/psychs

ย 

CBT you can basically do without a Psych IMO. It's essentially just a process of rationalisation and trying to reprogram your physical and emotional responses based on that realisation. I.e (very very basically) you know your friend doesn't really hate you, so stop responding like he does by continually reinforcing that he doesn't.

ย 

I had quite a lot of hope for CBT until I tried it with a practitioner and found out it was basically the same as the coping mechanisms I'd already developed for myself over the years. It's helped a lot of people I know so I'm not rubbishing it (my problem with it is that I already effectively used it without knowing what I did was CBT), but if you're a rational and intelligent person it may not bring many surprises for you.

ย 

What I'd really like personally is an ACTUAL psychiatrist that does ANYTHING other than CBT, but money blocks that. CBT I can get on the NHS for free, anything else I'd have to pay for.

ย 

Meds? Refused to even think about taking them for a decade or more. They're a point of last resort (or should be) and ALWAYS make sure you know what the ups and downs of taking them are. BUT, having finally given in and taken a prescription I must say they've done more good for me than I imagined possible. They're are downsides (my sleep is even worse, occasional mania) and the first 2 weeks of taking them was HELL (serious physical pain, nausea) but once that settled down they've helped a lot with both anxiety and depression.

ย 

Citalopram FWIW.

I'm on 150mg Venlaflexin daily. I have narcolepsy and don't sleep properly anyway due to night terrors and panic attacks.

ย 

I had a breakdown in 2005 and effectively lost two years of my life, another two years was spent getting help and I'm sketchy at best in remembering those years. I now have a memory problem and laughingly call it my dementia episodes. If I didn't laugh about it all I'd fall apart. Laughter helps. The last four years have been spent dealing with my husbands terminal illness, we live each day as it comes, laugh daily and love each other unconditionally. My husband's anger and mood swings means I have to act as buffer with him and the children which adds more stress, but we come together as a family at least once a day and if he (my husband) is having a bad day, we ignore it and smile and act silly and diffuse any "bad feelings".

ย 

Life is never easy, some days its great, others I could jump in a hole and pull a rock down on top of me. More often than not I get through, each day I get up, I win, each time I get dressed, I win, every time I leave the house, I win. Agoraphobia is a nightmare but I'm getting better, slowly but surely. I may never be the same again, but who knows maybe I can be a better person all round :D :D :D