The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Off the top of my head (based on "Brit" not English), and I'm only including obvious and very strong and noticeable regional accents here.

Some of these would genuinely have trouble even understanding each other's speech they're that far removed, and even have their own different WORDS for things in some instances.

- Scottish needs dividing, (Glaswegian is a lot stronger and more impenetrable than say Dundee).

- Welsh (Wales inc subdivision between at least North and South)

- Geordie (Newcastle although often used to describe accents as far away as Carlisle, much to the annoyance of Geordies)

- Brummie (Birmingham, often used to describe also Black Country such as Wolverhampton, but again they're actually different too)

- Scouse (Liverpool)

- Yorkshire

- West Country (around Bristol)

- London/Essex (actually several variants)

It's funny how different accents within the English speaking world differ. We don't have near as many different regional accents as your little island here in the US, but it's always amusing to hear someone with a Georgia drawl talking to someone from South Boston. "Did ya'll park the cawr in the yarwd?" - "Yeah, I pahked the wickehd Cah in the yahd." and then a person from Brooklyn comes in to ask if you want some "Couffee(coffee)"

Where I live, Florida, hardly anyone has a single definitively "Floridian accent". People that live hear all their lives tend to develop a weird neutral accent that makes you pronounce certain words in a redneckish way while others come out in a New York way. Me personally, I spend most of my time affecting an accent for different sentences and I agree, the serious Irish accent is my favorite to do other than the "Kennedy" or the "Gollum". If I could talk like Brynjolf without effort I'd be irresistible to myself.

Oh lol.

We went a bit off topic. The rest of it is more interesting to read :biggrin:

Well, at least it's a nice departure from the usual nonsensical politically correct "debates" by that usual bunch of navel-gazers over there.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest:

I win!