The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Found a the closest pic to what they look like without the amp exposed

hmm

One of the top 'Classics' and one of the most sought after speaker models ever made. The JBL L100 'Century' speakers. It's hard to expand on what's already been written out there about these speakers. Most fans of these know some version of the JBL L100 story or link to an appreciation web site. They have been one of my favorites for some years now, and I finally just finished a pair for myself to keep as well. They are capable of high volume levels while producing "pounding" & "tight" bass with great balance on the top and mid end. Just a great 'all-around' speaker for home audio listening or recording 'studio monitor' use. Just as happy with a medium-small size amp as they are with amps of larger size (probably not efficient enough to enjoy with a small wattage, under 25 watts or single ended tube amp).

Our speaker tech has completely gone through and 'certified' these. Tweeter diffusion foam replaced. All drivers were removed and reinstalled into cabinet with 'added' gasketing material under their frames to further reduce any possibilities of vibration or acoustic anomalies. Woofer 'T-Nut' mounting improved. 'High' and 'Mid' Attenuators have been removed from baffle board,and cleaned for static-free performance. Next, as always they were tested with both recorded material, PN 20-20k and swept them with our AF generator from 20-3kHz. Then came our standard, 'abusive' test recordings. Cabinets were spruced up with a coat of 'Restore-A-Finish' and then hand-rubbed with 'Feed-n-Wax'. They appear to have been lightly sanded in the past, then re-stained, but hard to determine. The top of one is lighter than the other (see above photos). Grill front frames, screwed, instead of simply glued to rear attachment frame. They look pretty good overall.

Following the above work, these speakers are ready to go!

We auditioned this pair well. Following the above mentioned 'barrage', our demo cuts ran the gamut from Dire Straits, 'Brothers in Arms', TLC 'Fan Mail', Allison Kraus and Union Station, Nickelback, and a few others, all digitally recorded and some 'DDD'.

'Solid', punchy and 'tight' low-end, with no 'mush'. Overall, Great 'tone' quality, but then again, they're one of the most famous and sought after speaker models ever made.

From an original JBL brochure from '73,

i wonder if they are the same ones, 1973???

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/web_photos/Stereo_Speakers/JBL_L100_Speakers_183A-184A_Web.jpg

Edited by Thor.

Let me make this clear-I'm about as "city" a person as you can get. But since I moved to the outer suburbs of Melbourne three years ago, I've had to get used to both, since if you drive for half an hour from the city centre, you'll be in "back 'o beyond" territory. Never has that been more apparent than today, when I got my "country initiation" It's been raining a fair bit in the past week, and the many dirt roads and firetrails in the mountains near where I live are muddy and overgrown. During the week I had to help pull a friend's truck out of a veritable swamp after he foolishly took a shortcut down a firetrail while delivering firewood.

The "initiation" consisted of pouring rain, me getting completely drenched in mud and silt, several pickup trucks, tow ropes, and extraordinarily thick "strayan" accents. I felt so out of place-the farmer who owned trail was annoyed that the truck was clogging his driveway, the friend was annoyed that the truck was clogging the farmer's driveway, I was annoyed that the friend had been dumb enough to drive a "pie-van"(tiny truck) down a muddy firetrail, and the weather was annoyed that we puny humans had dared to be outside, and responded by trying to drown us.

Eventually, between the combined power of two V-8 SUVs and a lot of wheel-spinning, cursing, discussion of leverage, and about twenty miles of nylon towrope, we pulled the pie van free, but the events changed my mind about many things. I had never met a farmer before, and had previously had absolutely no idea of where food came from. Now I have the utmost respect for them, because if this was a couple of hours of being half drowned in mud, trying to pull a resisting three 1/2 ton object out of a quagmire of acid rain, cog and sheep dung with a Land Rover, then I don't know how these guys put up with decades of it.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/800px-VM_0267_Stratford_-_Avon_River_valley.jpg

Looks pretty harmless, but come winter, when it rains cats, dogs, guinea pigs and elephants every third day, it becomes an evergladian nightmare.