The last poster wins

TheCalliton

This is me in Guild Wars 2, are you less impressed? you should be. I'm the green one.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/gw005_zps0ffda2f2.jpg

Specifically, it's me carameldansen with a bunch of shirtless dudes at a carameldans-off in Shaemoor. We all embarrised ourselves that day, but we had fun. I won a penny for my carameldansen, and the event was postfact renamed "so we think you can't 'dans"

Edited by Vindekarr

Man, this weekend felt like christmas.

Really really good day-I've got 3 truly brilliant new games on the go-Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and Torchlight 2, all of which blew me away with just how well they succeed their respective forbears. Borderlands is the classic perfect sequal; it's a truly unique little gem with a beautiful art style, an even better sense of humor, and most of the previous game's rough edges ironed out. The storyline is vastly better though, once I started geting into the story missions, I was like a Scorpion with a mealworm-I just had to keep om-nomming them up 'till I was done. I'm far from done, but I love what i see thus far; Borderlands essentially HAD to no story, the sequal feels almost like Red Faction, as you lead a bunch of ragedy-ass rebels to retake your equally raggedy-ass of a planet from a rich dude named Handsom Jack. In a stroke of genius they even manage to retroactively ADD a story onto Borderlands 1 by way of a couple of incendiary revelations.

Torchlight 2 is an indy game, a little RPG similar to Diablo and made by some former Diablo devs from bliz's glory days. The original was the best ten quid I ever spent on a new game, the sequal is the best twenty quid I spent on a new game. It's ultra easy to pick up, a blast to play, introduces enough major features to feel fresh, and like Borderlands, improves it's story with more depth and complexity, and in this case a slightly darker story. The new classes are vastly better too, you've got the classic, somewhat psycho Berserker, the posh, swashbuckling steampunk engineer, and now finally a proper mage class and a fun new gunslinger/mage hybrid called the outlander. It's a true gem, and if you've got a spare 20 quid, I give it my most wholehearted recomendqation; bargain of the month.

Guild Wars is just... a bit unique, and how rarely do I say that about an MMO? once in a blue bloody moon. It genuinely feels unlike any other MMO I've played. There is some WarHammer Online-like qualities, like the events, and the overall styling, but where WOAR was let down by a god-aweful engine and mandatory PVP, GW feels like the Devs tried to take every lesson every bad MMO has taught and work them in here. It's just not annoying like MMOs usually are. There's no grinding or endless toey froey between the crafting tables and the bank, there's no expensive, slowly mailing gear to your alts itemby item (bank does that) and no painfuly long wait to feel powerful. What's more your skills are defined by your weapons, which means if your combat mash ever gets boring, you can just change to a different type of weapon and get a totally different combat mash and role. For example if I use a Pistol on my engineer I can fire various pistol shells with a focus on damage over time, but depending on what I have in my off-hand, I can gain a timed block ability and some stuns, or a flamethrower attack and an AOE root and slow.

If I grab a rifle, I get close range skills related to shotguns, or I could wield a flamethrower, or grenades, or bombs, or an of a hundred other nasties with their own skillset and role. You get the idea. And there's no run back to town either, since you can deposite your crafting items remotely, from ANWHERE, and quests turn in automatically when completed, no need to hunt down any NPC. And so far I haven't once been told to kill boars for tusks either, it's all more creative-and it's unpredictable aswell, since at any moment an event can trigger. What's say you're doing the farm quest in queensdale(level 1 noob errand) you do a few menial tasks around the farm for money. But at any given time, bandits could attack the farm, turning it into a wave defence mission that will require teamwork and send playings swarming, or a giant worm might eructate up from the ground upon which ye stand, raining down acid globs and devouring cattle and noobs-and making all noobs flock to the area to KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!11one. There's also just an atmosphere of co-op in it. People get used to relying on others for aid-you pretty much can't die with others around, since they get mucho XPs for rezzing you, and since you can't grief or killsteal, everyone tends to instinctively fall into a sort of communism, and communalism.