The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I'm the same with arachnids. I wont kill them however as they are "good" creepy crawlies. They scare me coz they move so fast and usually in the same direction that I'm running :D

What can I say I'm a big girl's blouse that can deal with most things calmly and sedately, faced with an eight legged freak I'm a blubbering idiot who loses all sense of direction :D

I'm the same with arachnids. I wont kill them however as they are "good" creepy crawlies. They scare me coz they move so fast and usually in the same direction that I'm running :D

What can I say I'm a big girl's blouse that can deal with most things calmly and sedately, faced with an eight legged freak I'm a blubbering idiot who loses all sense of direction :D

With me it depends on the genus. You can tell at a glance what genus(species-group) a spider is from by the shape of the body, the length and shape of it's legs, it's colours, and if you're dealing with a big'un, the position of the eyes. There's about 41,000 species of spider, making identifying what exactly you're looking at impossible, but you can reliably tell at a glance what genus they are, and this is more useful as there's sufficiently few genotypes per continent that identifying what's dangerous is fairly easy. As a child I actually suffered from near-paralytic arachnophobia, but I managed to overcome it by learning extensively about spiders, what I learned meant that while I still fear certain species, namely the highly agressive and extremely venomous Sydney FunnelWeb, I've come to learn that other, more common breeds like the Eastern Huntsman and Global Wolf Spider are only dangerous when cornered and frightened.

Just a note though, during springtime, give all spiders a bit more space. Almost ALL the spiders you see are female-female arachnids are substantially larger, live as much as 3X longer, and are much more robust, but critically they're extremely defensive of their babies, and become even gentle species like Tarantulas become extremely aggressive when they've recently laid eggs or their nest is disturbed. This is particularly prenounced with the Huntsman and Wolf Spider genuses, both are large, wall-crawling spiders you'll find anywhere south of the arctic circle, especially in warm months; they're usually harmless, but the females get really, really defensively aggressive during breeding time. Spider females breed via a sac containing hundreds of eggs, in Wolf Spiders, the female then carries this with her, after hatching, the little spiderlings ride on her back. DO NOT disturb a wolf with s'lings-the same advice goes for any spider with a white sac in their nest/web, if you disturb them, they'll get vicious, and who can blame them? if someone was threatening my family I'd set aside my commitments to pacifism in a heartbeat.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r535/Yurimarkov/718px-Spider_wyn_sparassid.jpg

It was a spider much like this that terrified my girlfriend. Sparassids, or Huntsmens, are probably the most effective pest control you can get, and it's free of charge.

NOTE: image is significantly magnified; they DONT grow that big.

Edited by Vindekarr