The last poster wins

TheCalliton

On a related topic to Thor's vid, they say if you ever want to see what features cars will have in 10 years time, that you buy a Mercedes S-Class. The S-Class just got updated, and if that's the future, then I sure as hell want it now. In layman's terms it's got a bunch of "preemptive" safety measures, triggered by a nexus of cameras, LIDARs, RADARs, and motion trackers layed out around the car. These sensors allow the car to do several amazing things; firstly if it detects a moving vehicle within a certain distance relative to the incoming vehicle's velocity, and judges that the vehicle will impact the S-Class, the car locks it's brakes, re-tensions the seatbelts, activates it's 10 or so airbags, moves it's headrests, and momentarily locks all the doors. Other tricks include the ability for the cruise control to also automatically brake the car for corners and obstacles, an autmatic evasive action program that applies the brakes for you if you're about to hit something, a warning if something's in your blindspot, various camera views for parking, and my person favourite, beltbags, which are seatbelts containing tiny airbags: on impact, the beltbag deploys, turning the whole steaybelt into a far softer object. I've been in a few decently hard knocks, and I can tell you, hitting a seatbelt in a 90 mph head-on can REALLY hurt and do some damage, especially if it's a 5-point.

So basically, the future is good, we'll probably all have a great deal less bruising after an accident. And a lot of this tech is already in the pipes; VW has just put out their version of the auto-brake and evade, as has Volvo, Ford and Chevrolet are working on similar systems already.