The last poster wins

TheCalliton

You can get it near lossless with lame then transcode it in a flac 6.1 channel container. vbr is the best way, also razer lame is a good start.

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

I also use some fancy Eq settings to get the quality near lossless sounding.

I got one word to describe that post of yours: No.

And since you honestly don't understand how audio encoding works, let me explain it very simply to you:

Have you ever tried to take a screwdriver and drag it across a spinning hard drive plate? I have, it starts carving grooves into the alluminum plate. That's the way lossy encoding works, it shreds the file by removing bits of data and lowering quality to reduce space.

Now tell me, do you think the hard drive will work the same again after you carve it with a screwdriver? No, the missing parts of data cannot be replaced nor can the plate be repaired. Same goes for audio, parts of data that were once removed cannot be put back, not even god would make it into anything else than a 320kbps audio.

And the efect you're hearing, the "quality enhancement"? There's a medical term for that, Placebo Effect.

You hear the difference your program creates when it clones existing data to fill the void that opens once you try to turn it into 1411kbps. It's not higher quality nor is it "near lossless" (it's actually nowhere near lossless), it just sounds different. Like stereo sound, did you know you can create a stereo track from mono? Add just enough silence in front of one channel and it will sound like two different channels, even though they are completely identical. It's still mono, it just sounds different.

Lossless stands for an uncompressed file format with no bits of data removed, ever. Lossy stands for compressed format with pieces of data removed from it during compression. You can turn lossless to lossy, but you can never turn lossy to anythin even remotely close to lossless. Like textures, you think you can turn a compressed JPEG back into uncompressed PNG? It can never be achieved.

You can get it near lossless with lame then transcode it in a flac 6.1 channel container. vbr is the best way, also razer lame is a good start.

http://www.dors.de/razorlame/index.php

I also use some fancy Eq settings to get the quality near lossless sounding.

I got one word to describe that post of yours: No.

And since you honestly don't understand how audio encoding works, let me explain it very simply to you:

Have you ever tried to take a screwdriver and drag it across a spinning hard drive plate? I have, it starts carving grooves into the alluminum plate. That's the way lossy encoding works, it shreds the file by removing bits of data and lowering quality to reduce space.

Now tell me, do you think the hard drive will work the same again after you carve it with a screwdriver? No, the missing parts of data cannot be replaced nor can the plate be repaired. Same goes for audio, parts of data that were once removed cannot be put back, not even god would make it into anything else than a 320kbps audio.

And the efect you're hearing, the "quality enhancement"? There's a medical term for that, Placebo Effect.

You hear the difference your program creates when it clones existing data to fill the void that opens once you try to turn it into 1411kbps. It's not higher quality nor is it "near lossless" (it's actually nowhere near lossless), it just sounds different. Like stereo sound, did you know you can create a stereo track from mono? Add just enough silence in front of one channel and it will sound like two different channels, even though they are completely identical. It's still mono, it just sounds different.

Lossless stands for an uncompressed file format with no bits of data removed, ever. Lossy stands for compressed format with pieces of data removed from it during compression. You can turn lossless to lossy, but you can never turn lossy to anythin even remotely close to lossless. Like textures, you think you can turn a compressed JPEG back into uncompressed PNG? It can never be achieved.

I know bitrate has nothing to do with it, but in some way the format does, try listening to a 24bit flac file vs a 16bit wav file, big difference in depth. Utilising the full advantage of your sound card, it sure makes a difference.

What is it with men and bacon. It's like loving to clot your hearts with fat :sick:

Simple we are still the gentle babarians we used to be the last 20k years ago .... and we love bacon.

If you are despeate to get men loving you ... well.. try this ..

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/bacon.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

Bacon-Scented Perfume? Sure, Why Not?