The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Oh man, did I have a frustrating moment in gaming this morning. Been doing the Le Mans 24 hour in Gran Turismo as a sort of grand finale to my time playing it. Seven and a half hours into the race, I get an oil warning light on my screen, and in the time it takes me to think "ohshitit'sadieselenginewithoutoilitwillexplode" it explodes, because it's a diesel engine and it needs oil. I'm really kinda miffed. Not at the game, the game was just being realistic, I'm miffed because my car in game died as a result of EXACTLY THE SAME failure that destroyed the real car in the real event, almost exactly the same distance into the event.

ย 

There's realism then there's being a pain in the ass.

I like the long events in games like Gran Turismo, they teach you a lot more about driving and being a real race driver than the 3-5 lap runs most racing games have. In reality most races I've been in are 30 minutes minimum, the longest was six hours. I don't actually drive only much, I find it really frustrating driving against other players since the vast majority are total idiots who think that winning involves smashing everyone else off.

ย 

The thing that separates an average driver from a champion, be it real life or any racing game, is a blend of perception, mechanical empathy, concentration and consistency. Perception because you need to feel the car's behavior, how it sits on the road, how close you are to it's limits. If you can't do that, you'll either push it too far and wreck it, or not push far enough. Empathy because your car will get banged up through the course of the race and you need to be able to quickly adjust your driving to cope. Concentration is self explanatory; you need to be able to shut out everything but you and the track, including ignoring your rivals.

ย 

Consistency comes from a blend of the first three. So you set the lap record? that doesn't mean anything over a 2+ hour race if you can't keep doing that lap time over, and over again. Find a median pace that doesn't overstress the car's engineering or your physical and mental faculties and you've got your "pace. Stick to that gameplan and you'll dominate. The reason I'm in the top one hundred and fifty best Australian racing gamers(and have been since 2009) on PS3 is because of that doctrine and my ability to stick to it. The reason most racing gamers are useless at everything is because they don't think. And finally, be a sport. You won't win everything, and sometimes cars break. There's no shame in losing or breaking down if you learn from what happened.

Oh man, did I have a frustrating moment in gaming this morning. Been doing the Le Mans 24 hour in Gran Turismo as a sort of grand finale to my time playing it. Seven and a half hours into the race, I get an oil warning light on my screen, and in the time it takes me to think "ohshitit'sadieselenginewithoutoilitwillexplode" it explodes, because it's a diesel engine and it needs oil. I'm really kinda miffed. Not at the game, the game was just being realistic, I'm miffed because my car in game died as a result of EXACTLY THE SAME failure that destroyed the real car in the real event, almost exactly the same distance into the event.

ย 

There's realism then there's being a pain in the ass.

Why in the world are you racing with a diesel car? I'm not sure about the new engines which have more electronics than mechanics but when it comes to old ones, a diesel engine has a slow response to throttle and lower speed. Sure, the power is a lot greater due to higher torque but it's like a sloth compared to benzine engines.

ย 

And I guess you know what happens when the oil pump dies. :laugh:

ย 

I swear this laptop is dying already. It takes like three times as long to start up and all my games load slower. :mad:

ย 

I'm going to defrag it and do all the other crap that seems to make it more tolerable.

Yeah, I think you got screwed over by the marvelous NTFS file system which has last seen updates back when Windows NT got released. That thing is an absolute piece of junk, a waste of good code.

ย 

Why Microsoft refuses to switch to EXT4 (Extended File System 4) or any other more efficient file system is beyond me, they just stick with that ancient piece of crap that should have been killed with fire years ago. :dry:

Werne-actually the current breed of "HDI" diesels are actually starting to out-perform petrols as performance engines. They're still low-revving(5000-7000 RPM) but their full power is available from low down up to the redline. Plus they use less fuel, which makes them ideal for hardcore endurance racing since refueling takes almost 2 minutes. Audi are the current Diesel gurus, and BMW are close behind. In fact, the current BMW M-3 is a diesel straight-six.

ย 

Most Le Mans cars, and an ever-growing number of ordinary sports cars are switching to diesel engines-they're not far off a petrol for power, have huge torque, and have major acceleration advantages. The pic is of the current ultimate diesel, the Audi R18 Ultra. With a 650 horsepower diesel straight-six hybrid, it's got a top speed of damn near 400 Km/h. I wish I'd been driving one, I was in a Peugeot, and ironically it suffured an oil-pump failure at Le Mans in real life.

ย 

http://www.dieselstation.com/wallpapers/albums/Audi/R18-ultra-2012/Audi-R18-ultra-2012-widescreen-03.jpg

ย 

Free wallpaper!