The last poster wins

TheCalliton

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/tH1P7B5.gif

Oh god, I'm terrible person for finding this funny..

So at work today, we were rebuilding a car, the owner of which was upgrading with a bunch of modern bits that didn't exist when it was made-quite a common thing these days. Anyway, one of the parts she wanted was a set of SRS airbags. Now, myth has it that airbags are soft, fluffy pillows that gracefully unfurl themselves and then reach out and caress your face in an accident. Wrong. They're more like getting punched in the face by Mohammed Ali, bareknuckle. As one of my co-workers found out to her detriment. We still don't know HOW it happened, but while she was wiring up the new airbags, one of them went off and caught her square in the face like some sort of giant ACME boxing glove-punching her clean off her feet and into a cluster of bins which then fall on her. KAPOW!

She was absolutely fine which is why I found it so funny.

I have to admit though, car safety is a topic that tends to get under my skin. The innovations in the last few years in car safety are amazing. We've come up with five-belt seatbelts that are so effective that airbags aren't even needed. We've got a type of neck brace called a HANS device which has seen Formula One drivers walk away from 70+ G impacts unhurt. We've got devices which automatically take the car through adaptive evasive maneuvers to avoid a crash entirely, and can even re-gain control in nanoseconds after you've lost it. And you know what? every single one of them is illegal to install on a road car unless you've got a CAMS licence and a special permit. Pisses me off no end-governments will be the death of us all.