The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Now, myth has it that airbags are soft, fluffy pillows that gracefully unfurl themselves and then reach out and caress your face in an accident. Wrong. They're more like getting punched in the face by Mohammed Ali, bareknuckle.

I actually saw when a guy got airborne after deploying an airbag from a Volvo truck while fixing the steering wheel. He broke the driver's seat, flew through the cabin and bent the back wall when he slammed into it. The expression on his face after that was priceless, that airbag did have one hell of a punch and it's larger than those used in cars.

I've also been in a car accident where airbags were deployed and I can honestly say that they actually are soft and fluffy. Hot like hell though, my face was red for two weeks when that thing burnt me.

Thing is, if you slam into it face-first after it's deployed and expanded like in a car accident, it's a soft bag of hot air since it's fully opened before your face makes contact with it (hot because air expands incredibly fast, physics stuff). But if you deploy it and are within range of it while it expands, it will perform a falcon punch and blow away your sorry ass. The former is life-saving, the latter is just hilarious.

Dead right Werne. By the time you hit one in an accident, it's gone past fully inflated and is deflating again-hence soft and fluffy and very very hot. I should just clarify though, I've never actually faceplanted into one myself-my only ever severe accident happened on a bike. One of the biggest killers in car accidents is a basilar skull fracture, or in english-a break near the bottom of the skull, caused by the head jolting forward under a high G load caused by impact. It strikes me as hugely ironic that the most common preventative measure is to send the offending flying head back where it came from using a huge air-filled boxing glove attached to the steering wheel.

I have a different system entirely in my current car. The GTR's got a five-point restraining harness(like in a plane), an integral roll-cage(makes the whole car a single structure) and seats designed for a HANS device. The HANS restrains your head, neck and shoulders while the harness restrains your body-together they dampen G-forces a lot more effectively in bad accidents than airbags do and they don't break your nose in the process. It's a safer system, but getting the harness on properly is a zen and an art, while you've got to spend a fair bit to get a HANS device that's even remotely comfortable-and the cheap ones really are horrible to wear.

Still, as uncomfortable as these things are you can't fault their effectiveness: clinical trials have found them extremely effective at preventing skull/spinal/brain injuries even at insane speeds.

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4cd2f52cccd1d57c3b070000/hans-device.jpg

Edited by Vindekarr

Meh chocolate bars aren't what they used to be back in the day.

Except Kinder Chocolate, that thing is still as good as it was back when I was a kid.

Too bad Kraš Runolist is no longer around, I loved that thing, it always reminded me of the actually good part of my childhood. And it also reminds me when my grandma gave me a chocolate to share with my brother, and I instead shared it with grandpa's horse. :laugh:

I still like that horse, he's as nuts as I am. :smile:

This is the kind of thing nightmares are made of.

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/a8W8dGd_460sa_v1.gif

ignores post above

:ninja:

Hmmm i am surprised to here such none biased fanboyism at gamespot, unlike ign the console war is strong there. The entire thread similar to this one was filled with ps4 haters lol.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-serious-are-the-ps4-s-blue-light-of-death-and-broken-hardware-reports/1100-6416222/

EmperorSupreme 11 minutes ago

@tom_zombyy @canadian_sharky

Yes... It's unrealistic to think 100% are going to work. Every product has issues, it's more how the company handles it than the actual problem. The problem with 360 and the RROD is that they denied the problem, deleted forum posts and tried to cover it up for the first two years. It wasn't until gamers threatened to class action sue they started offering a 3yr warranty

You wouldn't get comments like that without being voted down 300plus times. :teehee:

Edited by Thor.