The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Slow night, and maaaannnn its going to get collddd here tonight, shivers just thinking about it. -26c feels like -40c, plus a wind warning in a effect. Coldest we have seen in ages.........

Feels like -40, we had wind chill in the past, but i never seen it go down that low before. At least here anyways...

Can we trade? It's 35°C with about 80% humidity here and it is pretty painful. Good thing this house has an air conditioner, but the main problem is when I go outside and get punched in the face by the heat. :pinch:

Nah we have Summers worse then you'rs, we have some of the most humid summers, no thanks to the great lakes.

Your heat is hot, but we had some global records here in the past, at least above the equator. Unlike death valley...

try 45c plus 100% relative humidity....

Edited by Thor.

lake effect humidity, it varies. We only have summer for two months, out of a 4 season cycle.

best and worst out of the four.

We rarely have temps at 50c though, it all depends and its random. The highest i have seen it was 46c with the humidity, without it would of been 35C.

Edited by Thor.

Oh wow, so your minimum temp must be around -30°C and your maximum would be about 45°C... that's such a difference.

We sometimes (very rarely) get 40°C with 100% humidity, but thankfully it is not often. Most of the time it's around 30-35°C and about 75-100% humidity during the summer, and about 25-30°C with 25-75% humidity in the winter.

I kind of envy the cold regions in the world...

Edited by billyro

I know how that feels Thor. Living in Melbourne we've got Bass Straight immediately to the south, which is connected to the Antarctic Ocean. When the wind blows in off Bass Straight, a summer day can go from 44c and 30% humdity to 10c and 70% in the blink of an eye. It's why most Melbournians always have an umbrella, coat and clean pair of shorts in their car-the weather changes dramatically based on wind direction.

Not blink of an eye here though, its pretty constant with summer winter fall and spring, I like the spring and fall the best.

In other news, they now have the ability to study alien atmospheres directly, in great detail.

Like finding water underneath a icy shell or gas.

http://www.space.com/24166-mini-neptune-alien-planets-kepler-aas223.html

Edited by Thor.

This machine is an AMD one... I've had to change the processor just about every year for the past three years and to me, being a quad core processor it should last longer than 12 months. Mind you I do hammer it at times and the machine is not overclocked as I have no idea how to do it lol.

Which CPU and motherboard model?

If you have a Phenom II it would be a shame not to overclock it, especially so if it's a Black Edition unit. AMD processors have crazy overvolts on them out-of-the-box to ensure successful yields when overclocked, if you do have a Phenom II my guess is you can get some ~10-20% out of it easily without even touching the voltage. I get 20% out of my CPU without voltage adjustments, then I can yank some 10% more by going 1.404V which is still within factory specs (FX 8320 can take 1.550V for 24/7 operation, at which mine reaches 5.4GHz which is a 55% overclock, can reach the same frequency with lower voltage if I disable the extra 4 cores).

So basically, you can get a 30% performance boost without breaking a sweat if you don't use a cooler that came in the same box with the CPU, or some ~20% if you do (even on an Athlon II) which is more cost-efficient than going out and buying a new machine. Besides, striking a good Phenom II is like striking gold when it comes to overclocking, those are AMD's previous-gen flagships and one of the best overclockers ever released by AMD (along with octa-core FX-series and Richland APUs).

This machine is an AMD one... I've had to change the processor just about every year for the past three years and to me, being a quad core processor it should last longer than 12 months. Mind you I do hammer it at times and the machine is not overclocked as I have no idea how to do it lol.

I'll start saving up and let you know when I have a decent amount saved so you can give me the heads up. I've built two machines, but I'm not up to doing it again just yet especially as I want a water cooling system etc ...

I really don't recommend water cooling, it's expensive, noisy (that pump is hell) and it performs on-par with decent air coolers which are much cheaper and quieter. It's also harder to maintain, the radiator gets clogged with dust quickly due to being very thick and you need to take apart the whole PC to clean it (and the cleaning it is a PITA as well). Not to mention that it's also risky if you don't check your machine often, a leaking tube = a dead PC, seen a few and it ain't a pretty sight.

I'd rather go with a decent mid-range cooler like AC Freezer i30 or CM 212 EVO, I have one that performs similar and it keeps a 125W octa-core Piledriver at 38oC on stock voltage, even overvolted to 1.428V it's only hitting about 51/52oC out of it's 62oC maximum. But anyway, when you decide to buy a new machine and if you need help with parts, I'd gladly help you out. :smile:

this month is going to slowly for my liking, i need a way to keep my mind of the upgrade next month, then i would have the ultimate steam machine, unlike those posers steam machine wannabes. That haf xb case completes it :D
Also my ears just popped, the pressure barometric pressure just dropped to insane levels, for some reason i am very sensitive to atmospheric pressure changes. If i ever went on a plain, i swear my ears would explode.

Edited by Thor.

this month is going to slowly for my liking, i need a way to keep my mind of the upgrade next month, then i would have the ultimate steam machine, unlike those posers steam machine wannabes. That haf xb case completes it :D

Speaking of Steam machines, do not try and install SteamOS. Right now it doesn't have a partitioner and instead wipes all data from your hard drive when you install it, it deletes every partition it can find.