The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I watched a "Male Gigolo" comedy movie yesterday when I realized something - I completely missed my calling. I should have become a gigolo and get money each time I get laid, could've been a millionaire by now!

EDIT: I love LOTR:BFME2, finally found my disc. One of my favorite RTS games regarding game mechanics and unit controls, the AI seems to be pretty good too compared to some other f***ers (yeah, I'm looking at YOU AoE III - The Asian Dynasties where AI can't build any units other than mercs and natives).

The original Starcraft is still firmly on top though, by far the best RTS I ever played.

Edited by Werne

EDIT: I love LOTR:BFME2, finally found my disc. One of my favorite RTS games regarding game mechanics and unit controls, the AI seems to be pretty good too compared to some other f***ers (yeah, I'm looking at YOU AoE III - The Asian Dynasties where AI can't build any units other than mercs and natives).

The original Starcraft is still firmly on top though, by far the best RTS I ever played.

I have to agree. Even though I prefer medieval/fantasy to sci-fi, Starcraft is definitely one of the best RTS games I've played. The one thing I prefer in LOTR: BFME2 though is the fact that you build unit squads instead of just single units. It's much cooler when you have 200+ units to send off to battle, instead of about 20 like in Starcraft.

It's much cooler when you have 200+ units to send off to battle, instead of about 20 like in Starcraft.

You didn't play much as Zerg, didn't you? :tongue:

Anyway, I know what you mean, but at least the game was made to take the squad size into account and was balanced perfectly. It may be pixel graphics at this point but that thing is the perfect example of a perfect strategy game - complete balance and your tactics have a huge impact on how the battle goes. AI was damn good until the map runs out of resources, they had some form of tactics and they knew how to attack, even fool you sometimes by splitting units and trying to make you pull the wrong decision.

Everything about that game is just perfect, even the 90s graphics. And LOTR:BFME2 is like Starcraft in 3D with a castrated AI and less balance.

Another game that I very much like is Rise of Nations, along with it's Thrones and Patriots DLC, second best RTS I've played. AI is decent, resources are infinite, lots and lots of soldiers can be made, ages go from pretty much stone age to modern military (starting/ending age can be adjusted) and the game mechanics are bloody brilliant. Graphics are only a notch better than what Starcraft has though, it's better but not very much so anyone who's into "pretty graphics stuff" (like Thor there) might want to avoid it.

And I also have the opposite of perfect. The worst strategy game I ever played is plain and simple - Age of Empires III, especially with the DLCs. I know people praise it but it's crap. The game itself (without DLCs) is actually decent, somewhat balanced and even has the great looks and stuff. However, some of the AIs there are just plain pathetic and tactics don't mean jack s**t - make a pile of Strelets or Janissaries coupled with Bombards, makes no difference what so f***ing ever, they will always send units your soldiers can kill most easily (infantry on Strelets, cavalry on Janissaries, f***).

But with the DLCs it turns into an even worse clusterf***. The Warchiefs DLC gives you some underpowered natives like Aztecs, which have no artillery and have some insanely long ranged archers with pathetic damage/hitpoints (shoots as far as the howitzer). And it also gives you some hilariously overpowered natives like Sioux, where the warchief has over 100 attack points with a big area damage and a 10x bonus against artillery, no artillery has anywhere over 800 hitpoints and with it's area damage it can even wipe out 10 Imperial Bombards (kings of super-heavy artillery) with one swipe. Revolt as a European nation and all units you have are soldiers and you become a freakin' superpower with iron clads and hundreds of guys with rifles and bleh. :psyduck:

And don't get me started on The Asian Dynasties DLC - they completely f***ed up the AI! Russians (along with some other nations) don't produce any units except over-expensive mercenaries and low-numbered weak natives (if they claim the native settlement, otherwise only mercs), Ottomans make 99 settlers and have little to no soldiers, not to mention none of the nations migrate on a migration map so the battle ends after 20 minutes when they run out of resources on their tiny f***ing island. Japanese musketeers have the same amount of hitpoints as a normal musketeer, except that it has like 30-50% more damage, along with having other troops that obliterate everything like the Samurai and Ninjas which are cheap. Chinese are fairly good though, can't complain. Indians are just crap and the only way I like them is when an AI uses them, every soldier is weak as hell and costs like it's made out of solid f***ing gold, not to mention villagers cost the one resource you never have enough of - wood!

Finally - multiplayer, the players there are by far the worst bunch of morons I've ever seen - they are worse that the Russian AI in TAD! They rush you as soon as they hit Colonial Age and then their resources get too low in a matter of minutes so you can wipe them all out in a single swoop cause they can't defend themselves. I once played against 7 enemies (not kidding, I was team 1 and they were all on team 2) and I won after 21m18s, three of them surrendered after the initial defeat (13 minute mark) cause they had no resources to defend themselves, the other four were obliterated in the next 8 minutes cause they thought they could regroup. Never will I fire up multiplayer again, never, ever, ever, ever!

Sorry about the ranting but AoE III really pisses me off, it was expensive when I bought it and I regret it ever since. :dry:

I just liked the level editor in AOE III.

How about Age of Mythology? One of the few RTS games I actually played the entire campaign because it was good. And the scenario builder was even better. I remember playing this huge mod based on the Nibelungen Cycle longer than the main campaign.

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2003/08/TitanStomp1024.jpg

How about Age of Mythology?

Got it, love it, especially the Norse (I have a thing for Vikings). Norse have my favorite way of collecting favor - combat, nothing says "I love Odin" as a few dozen Ulfsarks chopping heads off villagers while they scream for mercy, and then burning down their houses. :happy:

By the way Thor, no love for you, I prefer Odin. :tongue:

Yeah, multiple tags would be quite useful. I think I'd use all the tags I got and see what games I could scrounge up.

Also, progress on Magebane.

EDIT: Also, hooray! I finally got a red in Heroes of Dragon Age. And it only took me 19 levels! :tongue:

Looking nice!

I did that event in Dragon Age and spent an hour or so playing and leveled up to like... 20 something (and getting Wynne). Because I found someone who was up high on the leaderboard and was level 30 that I could beat.

It's much cooler when you have 200+ units to send off to battle, instead of about 20 like in Starcraft.

You didn't play much as Zerg, didn't you? :tongue:

Nah. One of my friends used Zerg when I was learning how to play and he swarmed me tirelessly, so I ended up hating Zerg. :P I always used Protoss because Terran felt too reliant on artillery (I'm more of a direct fighter, and I didn't like Zerg, so Protoss it was).

Yeah, multiple tags would be quite useful. I think I'd use all the tags I got and see what games I could scrounge up.

Also, progress on Magebane.

EDIT: Also, hooray! I finally got a red in Heroes of Dragon Age. And it only took me 19 levels! :tongue:

Looking nice!

I did that event in Dragon Age and spent an hour or so playing and leveled up to like... 20 something (and getting Wynne). Because I found someone who was up high on the leaderboard and was level 30 that I could beat.

Whoa, you must have been playing a lot. I tried doing some of that event that's on now (Guard Captain Aveline is the reward) and I've only got a few hundred points (the bulk of the event goes from 8pm to 8am, when all us Aussies are sleeping) so I gave up on trying.

And thanks. Any improvements you could recommend?

Whoa, you must have been playing a lot. I tried doing some of that event that's on now (Guard Captain Aveline is the reward) and I've only got a few hundred points (the bulk of the event goes from 8pm to 8am, when all us Aussies are sleeping) so I gave up on trying.

And thanks. Any improvements you could recommend?

Nah, I was level 10 or whatever when I started that day (Thursday I think) and played for an hour or so and the way it worked out I used all my battle energy stuff for the event and then did a quest to level up and just kept repeating. :laugh: I doubt I'd find anyone I could beat again.

And nope. It looks pretty good in game and I don't see anything that looks wrong.

Skyrims getting some real weather effects, including dynamic clouds and lightning.

Its been awhile sense it was updated.

Also Drive club i can't believe it looks better then Project cars.

Drive club will be the real test of the ps4 real performance capabilities

Edited by Thor.