The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I never go above 43c either with my corsair water cooled heatsink.

Yes, but I have a heatsink that has no fans on it, as in none at all. Plus, I have only two system fans for moving air through the case, both 800RPM. That system works surprisingly well while being quiet as f***. I was aiming for a 0dB machine but that would require underclocking and this is great as well. :happy:

As for fans, my recommendation are either 120mm Scythe GlideStream or Noctua NF-F12, both are pretty quiet and they do a nice job. For radiators though, NF-F12 fans would be better due to higher static pressure, GlideStreams are more for case airflow and air coolers.

Edited by Werne

Hey Werne i have question about that particular heatsink, does it need a fan. They advertise with one attached but is it required for it to function.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00G9YBHEY/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1394252699&sr=8-1

Edited by Thor.

Hey Werne i have question about that particular heatsink, does it need a fan. They advertise with one attached but is it required for it to function.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/B00G9YBHEY/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1394252699&sr=8-1

On stock voltage - hell yes!

And that's a standard Mugen 4, which is why it comes with a single fan. I have PCGH edition (PC Games Hardware Edition) of the same cooler but I'm not sure if PCGH is even been sold anywhere other than Europe, even here it's a rarity. Difference is that Mugen 4 comes with a single 4-pin PWM-controlled 800-1600RPM GlideStream fan while Mugen 4 PCGH comes with two 3-pin 800RPM GlideStream fans that run on constant speed while achieving roughly the same result, the latter is much quieter due to slower moving fans.

You can always equip it with dual 800RPM fans though, I think even the standard Mugen comes with two fan carriers but I'm not sure.

Also, holy crap! And I thought prices in Croatia are high! I paid 400HRK for Mugen 4 PCGH (~$80 Canadian), standard Mugen 4 cost 380HRK (~$76 Canadian) which is a bit less but extra cost is worth it due to extra quiet factor and the fact that I get two fans instead of one for 20HRK (a single GlideStream here costs 60HRK, so instead of that I paid only 20HRK extra). And Mugen 4, by that I mean standard Mugen 4, costs $115 Canadian for you, which is roughly 572HRK - 50% more than what it costs here, and Croatian prices are too damn high. :blink:

The worst thing is, even here you'd pay 50% more for it since it's actual price is $50 (~$55 Canadian, ~272HRK), in Canada it's more than double. :psyduck:

Edited by Werne

The $50 Mugen 4 is also from Amazon. :mellow:

Either way, I'm not sure if getting Mugen 4 would be an upgrade over H80. I know Mugen can outperform the NZXT Kraken X40 by a thread, and Kraken is somewhat on-par with H80. You'll have to judge it yourself, here's the closed-loop cooler lineup on i7-2600K @4.4GHz, 1.4V:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6530/52180.png

And here's Mugen 4 vs NZXT Kraken X40 on an overclocked i7-4770K:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1381692214owKvEoZNdn_3_2.png

As for noise, Mugen 4 with it's stock PWM fan is quieter than NZXT Kraken X40, and Kraken is on-par with H80 in terms of noise. So... yeah, you'd get less noise with roughly the same cooling performance. As for is it worth it, I got no idea, if you want less noise then I guess yeah, but if you want to have even less heat along with less noise then it's no. It's a sidegrade in regards to cooling performance but it's an upgrade in regards to noise levels, and it's even quieter if you use a dual-fan setup with 800 or 1000RPM fans instead of a single 1600RPM one.

Edited by Werne

I did my research on that h80, its a fantastic cooler. It also can be swapped with better fans, like low 800rpm ones.

Edited by Thor.