The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I love the fact that creative z allows you to switch from headphones to surround on the fly, without having to take the jack out from the back of the sound card. Best freaking feature of all time.

Edited by Thor.

Nice tweak, i didn't like the fall look, it reminded me of winter

also the creative z has 3 volume levels, one for the headphone amp, one for toslink and multi channel out, and one for microphone out. Each can be adjusted separately through the firmware.

Edited by Thor.

Alright, scrapped the 1600MHz CL8 idea since I can't get the thing to run stable on 8-8-8-20, or get anywhere under CL8, so now I'm looking at a different range - 2133MHz. Just upped the RAM multi to 10.66 and went lowering the timings, so far I got 2133MHz with 11-12-11-32 timings at 1.650V, tested stable. Bandwidth went up by 3.2GB/s and latency went down by 4.1ns compared to the best 1600MHz overclock I got, which is bloody good. Memory is 100% stable, needed a small bump on the Northbridge but all is good.

Now I'll try and get 10-12-11-31, that might bring the latency below 61ns. :D

EDIT: Moving tRAS timing from 31 to 36 seems to have improved the memory stability under a lower voltage, it's now stable at 1.575V without any change in latency or bandwidth, which allows me to up the voltage and lower CAS instead. That should bring the module's latency down while still remaining stable... hopefully.

Edited by Werne

I had quite an adventure the last two days. I lost the ability to connect to the internet(at home) and it's taken until this evening to get it working properly again. I've nothing but praise for my ISP though; I first phoned them on Tuesday night and they immediately took me seriously, without any need to apply pressure. They did a good job, too; they tested my Modem on Wednesday which only took them half an hour, and finding no issues with that they then moved up the chain and complained to Telstra(who own the network) on my behalf.

I got a phone call this morning alerting me to a planned outage, with a note saying that the local Node wasn't functioning properly and needed some work. They listed the expected ETA at 3 PM today; I can't verify that because I was at work, but everything ran smoothly when I got home. And all of this only cost me $10 and a trip to their store(a few blocks away).

Edited by Vindekarr

Hah! Couldn't hit 10-12-11-36 so I went with a workaround. DDR3-2133 11-12-11-36 with memory controller at stock 2200MHz - 61.6ns, DDR3-2133 11-12-11-36 with memory controller at 2600MHz - 59.7ns.

Memory result:

Stock memory controller:

cachemem-2133-CL11-2.png

Overclocked memory controller:

cachemem-2133-CL11-NB2600.png

Lost 120MB/s of read performance but got 1GB/s in write, 130MB/s in copy and a 1.9ns drop in latency. When you can't overclock the memory, overclock it's controller, works just as well. :thumbsup:

Also, to show what gains there are when overclocking...

Cinebench.png

My 8320 runs on 4.5GHz (30% overclock) and uses DDR3-2133 CL11 RAM. That i7-3770 below it is on stock with dual-channel DDR3-2400 CL9 RAM and is 9% slower than my 8320 with single-channel RAM. The i7-4770K above it is overclocked 30% with dual-channel DDR3-2400 CL9 RAM and is 14% faster than my 8320 with single-channel RAM.

Thing is, around here that i7-3770 alone costs as much as my CPU, motherboard and RAM, and i7-4770K alone costs as much as my CPU, motherboard, RAM, my high-end cooler and case. Yet, despite the fact that those use over 50% faster RAM than mine and that one of them runs at the same level of overclock as my 8320, I still squeeze in between them with a single stick of slow-ass RAM and an overclock I have on stock CPU voltage.

And that means I have something to be proud of, my poor old Vishera is inches away from an unlocked and overclocked Haswell flagship that is one generation newer. :D

EDIT: Well, wife made beans with sausages today for the first time in forever, using my great-grandfather's recipe. Recalling on the horrors my great-grandfather calls beans, pots of unknown jelly substance that has enough fat in it to make an Eskimo throw up just from looking at it and which smelled like he boiled a pot full of socks that were worn for month without washing, I was certain my wife's beans will be just as horrifying. :sick:

But it's not horrible at all, it's actually great, no excess fat in it and it smells like sausages, like it ain't the same food. Don't know what she changed in the recipe but this stuff tastes like a dream. Can't wait for it to cool down, already burned my tongue twice tasting it, it's that freakin' good. :dance:

Edited by Werne

Sausage + beans is great. That is all I have to say. :happy:

Also, just uploaded another mod for Oblivion. I think I'm going to head off to bed, now. It's 12:30am, and I haven't been to bed this late since uni started (like 5 weeks ago). So yeah, probably not a good thing to be doing... :tongue:

EDIT: Also, I just realised that I have a total of 200 endorsements across all my files. That makes me feel proud. :smile:

Also, I failed at going to sleep. Going to change that right now, though! Goodnight, all.

Edited by billyro

Hah! Couldn't hit 10-12-11-36 so I went with a workaround. DDR3-2133 11-12-11-36 with memory controller at stock 2200MHz - 61.6ns, DDR3-2133 11-12-11-36 with memory controller at 2600MHz - 59.7ns.

Memory result:

Stock memory controller:

cachemem-2133-CL11-2.png

Overclocked memory controller:

cachemem-2133-CL11-NB2600.png

Lost 120MB/s of read performance but got 1GB/s in write, 130MB/s in copy and a 1.9ns drop in latency. When you can't overclock the memory, overclock it's controller, works just as well. :thumbsup:

Also, to show what gains there are when overclocking...

Cinebench.png

My 8320 runs on 4.5GHz (30% overclock) and uses DDR3-2133 CL11 RAM. That i7-3770 below it is on stock with dual-channel DDR3-2400 CL9 RAM and is 9% slower than my 8320 with single-channel RAM. The i7-4770K above it is overclocked 30% with dual-channel DDR3-2400 CL9 RAM and is 14% faster than my 8320 with single-channel RAM.

Thing is, around here that i7-3770 alone costs as much as my CPU, motherboard and RAM, and i7-4770K alone costs as much as my CPU, motherboard, RAM, my high-end cooler and case. Yet, despite the fact that those use over 50% faster RAM than mine and that one of them runs at the same level of overclock as my 8320, I still squeeze in between them with a single stick of slow-ass RAM and an overclock I have on stock CPU voltage.

And that means I have something to be proud of, my poor old Vishera is inches away from an unlocked and overclocked Haswell flagship that is one generation newer. :D

EDIT: Well, wife made beans with sausages today for the first time in forever, using my great-grandfather's recipe. Recalling on the horrors my great-grandfather calls beans, pots of unknown jelly substance that has enough fat in it to make an Eskimo throw up just from looking at it and which smelled like he boiled a pot full of socks that were worn for month without washing, I was certain my wife's beans will be just as horrifying. :sick:

But it's not horrible at all, it's actually great, no excess fat in it and it smells like sausages, like it ain't the same food. Don't know what she changed in the recipe but this stuff tastes like a dream. Can't wait for it to cool down, already burned my tongue twice tasting it, it's that freakin' good. :dance:

That's impressive, did you notice anything different in gaming performance.

That's impressive, did you notice anything different in gaming performance.

A small increase in minimal FPS and shaved 2s off loading times. As for CPU benchmarks, they're pretty high for a 4.52GHz Vishera, cutting ahead of old Ivy Bridge line-up in everything except single-threaded benchmarks. I also have all but one Intel mobile CPU beat in per-core performance when it comes to Cinebench (i7-3840QM, Ivy Bridge mobile flagship, it scores 122CB while my 8320 scores 109CB), gets completely obliterated in multi-threading though.

Next stop - 4.6GHz, or at least more than 4.52GHz since I'm already straining my cooling system (hitting 49-50oC, that's near my limit for 24-7 usage, but my temps are still 30oC lower than what I had on a stock i5-3570K). My fans are too slow, 1000RPM models, should've went for 1350RPM ones.