The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Feeling slothful, probably.

Anyway, Bound by Flame is finally installing! It estimates that it will be done in an hour and a half, so that's good. Surprisingly small filesize though (4.1 GB), so it mustn't have high resolution textures (doesn't bother me - extra performance). :)

I saw some gameplay footage, its a good rpg. I'm tempted to get for ps4 or pc, can't decide!!!!

Also interesting game, man looking at that for a bit, thinking how much i look enuit lol.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/08/never-alone-is-an-atmospheric-puzzle-game-exploring-culture-and-folklore

no joke its almost shocking, this almost makes me want to trace my families past even further. Its concerning because it was never proven, so that's why i am curious, but everyone says you might have some Enuit in my back ground. Or native, which is the same thing, but upper north.

Edited by Thor.

Woot, finally finished downloading! Well, actually, it finished about 2 hours ago, but I've been making a sword for Skyrim so my inner designer took over.

Woohoo, first time I've gotten a weapon to work in Skyrim! Argh, so much research involved to get this sucker in, but I prevailed.

http://puu.sh/8EpsY.jpg

It's my first attempt with the Skyrim's engine, so I haven't got used to the new texture maps and in-game shaders yet, but I shall experiment.

Well, just set fire to marijuana fields in Far Cry 3. Music was great, flamethrower was great, the RPG was great, even the now deceased pirates were great. Best mission I ever did in any game, bloody perfect.

One problem though, the part of that mission where you roll it up in paper before lighting it is missing completely.

Bound by Flame ps4 or pc :blink:

Anonymous has though shall speak to the, your silence speaks nothingness, but is or isn't there. :teehee:

Edited by Thor.

I would probably suggest the PS4. The controls are definitely tailored to a controller, and the PC version has nothing to offer that the consoles don't have (since there are no mods). I'm pretty sure a SweetFX config will come out soon, but that's probably the only benefit of having the PC version.

Now, the game. So far, I think it's pretty good: the combat is fun and challenging, the world seems decently fleshed out, the music is pretty good (although quite loud by default). My only gripes so far is the steep ramp up in difficulty (I had to turn the difficulty down because of this), the lip-syncing is terrible, and the graphics aren't very appealing. Aside from those, it's a good game for the $35 it costs.

I'd go a bit more in-depth, but I want to keep playing it. :P

Okay well Billyro beat me to it, but I was typing up a post too! :tongue:

So maybe it's just me, but Bound by Flame is okay. It's not great, but it's not bad either. It's interesting and combat is fun (but difficult, sometimes unnecessarily so, i.e. enemies that attack too fast for you to get hits in after blocking/dodging, and doing a s*** ton of damage, I had to switch to easy difficulty), but the game kind of feels like a mess. There's lots of errors in the subtitles and loading screen tips (even misspelling their own main character's name); quests and dialogue involving quests feel jumbled sometimes, like something is said before I've gotten far enough that it should be said; and it seems like the characters (and companions) are quick to suddenly know everything about the player and call him/her a friend, whether or not you've EVER talked to them (it feels like they've known each other longer than they have). The character also tends to go from being nice and helpful to being a sarcastic a**hole a lot. You get choices sometimes, but when you don't he can say some pretty spiteful things that sometimes feel like they conflict with choices you just made. Voice acting is okay, but lip sync is awwwwful. It has some interesting looking areas so far. I'm having an issue with brightness however, I have my monitor set to 0 and in game down all the way as well, yet one area was way too bright. I can't comment on the graphics because I'm on the PS3 so I'm sure it looks better on the PS4 and PC.
Still the combat is enjoyable and the story is interesting so far. I would get it on the PS4, mostly because I think it seems a bit suited to controllers (I have it on the PS3 though so keyboard might not be bad).

Also, does the crafting and upgrade in this seem really familiar to you Billyro? I swear I've seen something like it before (upgrading armor and weapons adds pommels or spaulders, etc.) but I can't think of what it was in.

Edit: Oh wow it's late I need to go sleep.
I don't know what decisions to make in Bound by Flame. Everyone seems to have secrets and mysterious motivations (and lot's of accusations)... I've had a hard time picking things in games before, but not because I didn't know who to trust. :sad:

Edited by K00L

Yep, pretty much agree with everything you said there. It's a good game, but it's nothing really special.

I have noticed a lot of misspellings and grammatical errors in the subtitles, though thankfully it's still readable. I agree on the companions - they just suddenly know you like you've been best mates your whole life. The first companion, Sybil (sp?), joins you in the swamps so she can investigate the flora and fauna... but then suddenly she becomes a permanent companion. Why?

I don't really mind the main character's personality or voice, but yeah, it's a little annoying sometimes when you can't choose what to say. For instance, when you first meet the elf guy (forgot his name), Vulcan calls him an arse-wipe. Erm... that was not what I wanted to say. Other than that, the dialogue seems to work pretty well and flows through without any major "what the hell is going on?" moments.

The graphics are nice, but it seems to have suffered the same fate as vanilla Skyrim - bland, grey, yick, despite the obvious colours in the surroundings. It's like they made the game to be realistically colourful, but then threw on some bad shaders and wrecked it. I also seem to be having the brightness problem, since I've got the in-game slider on the lowest and it still looks really whitewashed. Also, it would have been nice to have some higher resolution textures (I can't complain about the low filesize though - that was very considerate of my internet speed), especially for the character faces and equipment.

Character creation is abysmal, though. You can choose from 5 heads and 5 hairs, and you can't choose colours. Of those heads, only 2 of them I actually considered using (the others were ugly) and one of those had an irremovable beard (I still chose that one though because it was cool). Armour and weapon customisation is good, though. I like the choices you have when crafting (and you can craft from anywhere, which is great for roleplaying as a hardened merc) and I can't wait to see what combinations lie down the road.

The combat is fun (one of the best systems I've seen so far, actually) and definitely challenging, but as K00L said, the difficulty increases so much in so little time. I went down to the lowest difficulty level because the normal difficulty is simply too hard (probably intended for a second play-through).

I'd also like to state that this game seems very linear at the moment (I'm still early in the game), and it is not open world. I'm a bit sceptical about the impact of player decisions, but maybe that'll come later.

I'm not sure where the crafting comes from. I haven't played any games with a similar customisation system, but I know that it does look a little bit like Kingdom Come: Deliverance's crafting system, although a bit more simple.

So yeah, I'm enjoying the game so far, and aside from a few quibbles I have, it's a decent game and I shall play through it. :)