ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I am finally starting to appreciate my new PC now that I've fixed the screen.

You know I have a thing for PCs so... specs, please! :smile:

Also, turns out my 7770 ain't all that bad. I upscaled Skyrim to 2560x1600 with GeDoSaTo and I got this with 43FPS minimum framerate (pic is 10MB so loading might be a bit slow):

screenshot_2015-02-06_10-11-06_0.png

Yeah, it's stock Skyrim visually, but it's ~4.1M pixels compared to native ~1.3M. More importantly, I got perfectly playable 2K resolution on an entry-level card. :dance:

Here are the specs!

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4790K
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB
  • Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Black
  • Solid State Drive: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
  • Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
  • Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W Power Supply

That resolution is impressive. I've never had a monitor that large - must be quite immersive. :)

Here are the specs!

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 4790K
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 280mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB
  • Memory: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Black
  • Solid State Drive: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
  • Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001
  • Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 600W Power Supply

CPU - Overclock it

Cooler - See above

Mobo - MSI AMD boards are rather notorious for bursting into flames, Intel ones seem solid though

Graphics - Overclock it. I want one even though it has 3.5GB of 192MB/s VRAM and 0.5GB of 28MB/s VRAM

Memory - Overclock it. Definitely overclock it. 1866 CL10 is just :sick:

SSD - It's an SSD, nuff said. Would've went with a 240GB one personally, the rig deserves it

HDD - I would've went for a Hitachi (or HGST, whatever they call them nowadays)

PSU - Good for overclocking

So... overclock? Is that a yes? :D

And the resolution is impressive indeed. Still my same old monitor, I just upscaled the render to insane levels, makes the game beautiful. Still can't believe my card can handle it though.

By the way, 970 has DSR, I'm pretty sure you can even downsample from 3840x2160 without going under 60FPS. :smile:

I don't know how to overclock, so probably not. :tongue:

Why are you doing this to me?! That poor unlocked i7, makes me wanna cry. Anyway, it's a damn good PC, even stock, I still think you should overclock it though. :thumbsup:

Wish I could afford a 750 Ti, from what I see the things overclock like crazy, decent ones do 1.5GHz on stock voltage.

I could probably take it to a gaming hardware store and see if they could do it, but that would probably cost more money than it should. Ah well, for now I'm happy with how it is, and if I ever feel the need to have more power, then I'll get it done. :)

I don't know how to overclock, so probably not. :tongue:

Why are you doing this to me?! That poor unlocked i7, makes me wanna cry. Anyway, it's a damn good PC, even stock, I still think you should overclock it though. :thumbsup:

Wish I could afford a 750 Ti, from what I see the things overclock like crazy, decent ones do 1.5GHz on stock voltage.

I read this in one of the websites about Overclocking video cards and CPU's, :geek: it says, "Overclocking really could improve video games or could shorten a perfectly good computers life span to seconds, 'if you don't know what you are doing'." :ohmy:

I only read that. :geek: As, Bugs Bunnies old pal, Elmer Fudd might say, "Be wary careful!"

:psyduck: (Alternate living 'special idea'.) You could overclock your old computer for heating your home. :rolleyes: You just stick the computer in the old fireplace and overclock everything. It might actually heat your house as long as 2 seconds or 2 to 5 years. If you try it, remember to clean out the fireplace first. Remove the ashes, tinder, wood chips, and don't put any firewood in there ( until after you burn out the computers internal parts). :laugh: That might save a lot of dead trees from being cut up for firewood :woot: and save you money on your Winter heating debt. :teehee:

You could use your monitor to display a 30 second long GIF showing burning wood. Put the monitor behind the fireplace screen so it has a realistic look. :wink:

I have seen that done with some old computers; by people who just can't throw out the old and bring in the new. They get innovative instead of cluttering up their garage and back yard.

Hmm?

Yay!

:happy:

ROARING Applause!

Encore! Encore!

:laugh: Curtain stage right I WIN! curtain stage left :sad:

I read this in one of the websites about Overclocking video cards and CPU's, :geek: it says, "Overclocking really could improve video games or could shorten a perfectly good computers life span to seconds, 'if you don't know what you are doing'." :ohmy:

If you don't know what you're doing, that's the important part. "Overclocking can kill components" and "overclocking can shorten PCs lifespan" statements are like those annoying "no user-servicable parts inside" stickers, the're meant to keep people away from touching things they know nothing about. I'm an engineer so I ignore all of that. :tongue:

Set the CPU to 2V and poof, overheat it and it will die a lot sooner, combine too much voltage and too much heat and the death can be instantaneous, it's all common knowledge for us who overclock and we know it because we learned about it. The first rule of doing anything, including overclocking, is don't do it if you don't know how to do it.

Would you deliberately and knowingly overheat your components or run them on voltages that can kill it soon? I don't think so. It can happen if you don't know you're doing it, but that's why you should educate yourself beforehand. :thumbsup:

By the way, that fireplace idea is not bad. I do have an old PC and monitor lying around, I might actually put it to good use. :yes:

Edited by Werne

My computer gear and monitor have to be kept a good distance away from the heating systems thermostat or the computer and home theater system keeps the air from cooling down to allow circulating the heat properly. I had an external fan, (just died) running to circulate the entire units heat and keep the fine dust caused out of the room. When the computers internal fans draw air through the case to cool the computer the finer dust created from within the PCs case causes it to cloud the room. Normal dust is reduced again and becomes a fine white powder my furnaces HEPA filter with a charcoal layer catches. I showed the whitened charcoal filter to the Home Depot manager of furnace stuff. He was at loss for words.

2 pc's, a home theater box, and 55 inch HDTV set up can increase a room 10 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit that is in a space 14 ft. by 12 ft. with only an 8 ft. ceiling, That's without overclocking anything. :geek:

@Werne ... You, lovingly and knowing how, could Overclock an old PC and monitor and put it into a contained area like a fireplace, with slow low flow fans to each corner of a air duct system, and it could heat things a little more nicely. Just remember about how it reduces dust particles when they are re-heated; as they passed through the casing. Then you won't spend time coughing harder to clear that dust which is almost small enough to be cycled into a red blood cell.

Dead Skin is what most dust is in a house; it's our dead skin cells. The drier dust particles becomes, the more compacted by heat it becomes, and all of it flows into the air getting recycled through our lungs.

Post #55000. :smile:

Well, Assassin's Creed Unity has been stuffing up today. I can't even play the game without it going into an infinite loading screen. What the hell, Ubisoft?

EDIT: I checked the integrity of the game files in Uplay, and it says that the game files are corrupt and the game will have to be re-downloaded from scratch.

... Yeah, I'm just going to download a 50GB game for the second time in 2 days because I have infinite f***ing internet. *Drooping sarcasm*

Well, back to Skyrim - a game that is significantly better anyway.

Edited by billyro