The last poster wins

TheCalliton

Statler: That was wonderful!
Waldorf: Bravo!
Statler: I loved it!
Waldorf: Ah, it was great!
Statler: Well, it was pretty good.
Waldorf: Well, it wasn't bad...
Statler: Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though.
Waldorf: It could have been a lot better.
Statler: I didn't really like it.
Waldorf: It was pretty terrible.
Statler: It was bad.
Waldorf: It was awful!
Statler: It was terrible!
Waldorf: Take 'em away!
Statler: Bah, boo!
Waldorf: Boo!

As I recall an upper middle class neighborhood, in the USA, was visited by a vendor selling pork products.

The children were dressed like suit and tie business adults soon to become the next generation of upstanding working class citizens and the girls were dressed like be the future homemakers and housewives.

On one Saturday, while the routine of the suburban city people was going on; a mysterious vendor arrived.

The vendor arrived in one of those vehicles like an ice cream truck.

The area was populated with a hundred or so people, counting the children too.

The houses were built conveniently around a central park, like in Fallout 3 in the virtual view tanks of Vault 112. A bell jingled from the vehicle. The children thought it to be the Ice Cream vendor. He was selling something else though. Pork products.

Eating pork caught on rapidly. Most probably because it transformed all the suburbanites into the Dogpatch characters in the same way, Dr. Banner turned into the Incredible Hulk, only the Dogpatch group never recovered their old selves. The suits and such remain ripped and ragged on their bodies. They never returned to their suit and tie life.

I may be mistaken about the events, as they were exactly, and be advised that a childs mind is more flexible with fantasies if let to be alone making a life of their own. Dogpatch, USA caught on like wild fire in many a small town whose children read the comic books and the funnies in the newspapers.

It seems Lil Abner types are still sleeping at around this time of day. The part in the Musical Movie Version, where the politician comes to Dogpatch was really funny.

Wouldn't it be odd if all the electronic age wizardry faded away because people were transformed into citizens of Dogpatch on one nice Summer day.

AND THEN....

:laugh: Curtain stage right I WIN! curtain stage left :sad:

And then the curtains close for another evening.

It looks like death isn't excepting visitors. My time on this plane isn't up yet.

Steam is now making people pay for mods. What... the hell? Seriously, mods on the Steam workshop now cost MONEY (based on what the author sets it). Mods are supposed to be free! Gah.

EDIT: Well, I have to admit, the mods that are up there look like good quality stuff, but still.

Ah well. I suppose it was inevitable, based on the popularity of Skyrim modding. I most likely will never use the Steam Workshop anyway (I used it once, I think, and then never again) so hopefully the Nexus will remain unaffected by this. I have a bad feeling that the Steam Workshop will host the more "complete" versions of mods, while only having a lite version on the Nexus so that people will have to pay if they want the full thing.

Not sure what to think, really...

EDIT 2: Well, back to stuff I am comfortable with: making swords. I did an experiment today - mainly with my workflow. This time, instead of wasting hours UV unwrapping and texturing, I simply used a UVW modifier (box) on the weapon and then utilised a tileable metal texture. Effectively, I completed the entire sword in under an hour, and this was the result:

http://puu.sh/hoeYo/5b12bf70bc.jpg

http://puu.sh/hof4H/79689ab6d8.jpg

So as you can see, the textures aren't that great - I couldn't add individual details like scratches or edge rust - but the end result is still pretty good considering that I spent not even half the time making this as my usual weapons. Still, I think I kinda prefer my normal method; while this one is really quick, I don't have as much freedom and control as my normal method.

Edited by billyro

Creativity now charges others to pay for what we can only fantasize about? I was almost sure that would happen here one day. Since Robin Scott and all the others he is tied in with in business are in the scheme of STEAM origins it only makes cents and dollars to comprehend what better place to put the Modding crowds creations up on the auction block.

Some of them modders are great! :woot: And they've got to eat! :yes:

-snip-

Time to switch to using only Origin and GOG. :tongue:

Anyway, I'm all for supporting mod authors, but some of those prices... Who would pay for a single weapon?

I totally understand why you would want to at least try to make money off of things you make though.

What I find horrible is this:

"The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments."

I mean... what?! The creators only get 25%? Greedy much?

Edit: Can't get the font to change...

Edited by K00L

Paid mods... nothing bodes well. Valve and Bethesda can wrap this move up in the "we want to support mod-makers" foil, but the fact remains: they want to profit on an exceedingly popular aspect of gaming. This isn't about the modders or the mods, it's about making a quick buck. And that's what my issue is.

Even though I disagree with this choice, I can see some potential benefits arise from it. One, is that more games will be inclined to incorporate modding (though they might be stuck behind a bloody pay-wall as well) and two, the really good modders will have extra incentive to create stuff.

All I know is this: if I ever ended up selling my mods, I would ALWAYS have a free version available here on the Nexus. Always.

EDIT: I think there is also a loop-hole in the Steam Workshop now. Since there is a 24 hour window where you can get a refund for your money, it would certainly be possible to purchase a mod, copy the contents to a different location, get a refund, and then copy it back. It's not like I'd ever do that, but it's certainly plausible and people will exploit it if there aren't certain measures in place to prevent it.

Edited by billyro

Oh! Well. The people who modded for the Elder Scrolls and such here they had shops online, sponsors to support, and themselves and family to feed. They built their websites on Freewebsite services their ISP's and local companies offered.

They had to give their spirit the stream of the ISP by allowing their sponsors to sell products and run advertisements in their Fan Websites.

The reason it was that most of their websites shut down was because they didn't get enough revenue from paying customers buying their sponsors products.

Same ol same old!

I remember when CanadianIce website closed down, UnforgottenRealms winged for a little longer, afterward. Several others I had scoured for friendship were all laden with modders who all drifted to a central area as they and others web forums were shut down. Here at the "The Elder Scrolls Nexus".

Do you remember, when this was the name of this website? "TESNexus.com"

AND THEN....

:laugh: Curtain stage right I WIN! curtain stage left :sad:

And then the curtains close for another evening.

It looks like death isn't excepting visitors. My time on this plane isn't up yet.

Paid mods... nothing bodes well. Valve and Bethesda can wrap this move up in the "we want to support mod-makers" foil, but the fact remains: they want to profit on an exceedingly popular aspect of gaming. This isn't about the modders or the mods, it's about making a quick buck. And that's what my issue is.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edit:

Edited by BlackRampage

So... I come back and mods are now pay-to-play. I should have just stayed in a coma. :dry:

Anyway, I'm all for supporting mod authors, but some of those prices... Who would pay for a single weapon?

Dem 0.45€ crowbars doe...

Seriously though, that's just wrong.

In more cheerful news...

Unwrap.png

That unwrap... http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/drool.gif

You were in a coma? Or was that a figure of speech? And yeah, the mod monetisation crisis (unofficial name) certainly has caused some destruction.

I don't think it's possible to get a cleaner unwrap than that. Good job! :smile:

Also... heh heh heh heh.

Edited by billyro