The last poster wins

TheCalliton

I made a blog so I don't have to spam this thread with my stuff any more. :tongue:

Hey, I don't mind spam if it's good. :thumbsup:

Well then, I might still upload some stuff. :yes:

Argh! The Nexus images forbid me from uploading Crecy! I can't see any of my images that I upload for some reason... :dry:

EDIT: Well, refreshing the page until it works is a grand alternative! :tongue: The mod is now up and running.

EDIT 2: Woohoo! My Wispmother Retexture just hit 1000 endorsements! :dance:

Edited by billyro

Well, if none shall reply, then I shall take da win :dance:

On another note, currently working on a vampire overhaul for Oblivion. Each race shall have unique vampires and abilities =3 instead of all defaulting to one. Be a nice way to reteach myself everything XD

My win.

By the way guys, Microsoft got Square Enix to make a FF "Witch cry" DX12 tech demo. They had it running on quad-SLI GTX Titan X cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1mwhdYZvSE

63 million polygons per scene, 8192x8192 textures, each piece of the witch's hair is a polygon with over 50 shaders applied to it. Shadows are crap and animations aren't all that great either, but that witch's model is just freakin' gorgeous! :ohmy:

Edited by Werne

Sounds like a bit of a waste to me, but I agree it does look fantastic. Can't wait until this is the standard!

It's a tech demo showcasing the cutting edge DirectX API and the basis for a new game engine, it's supposed to be overboard on everything by definition. And yeah, can't wait for stuff like this to hit the mainstream games once hardware can push it.

Talking about Microsoft, is anyone else excited for Windows 10?

Werne, I remember you were very picky about Windows, I'd love to hear your opinion of Windows 10.

I actually am. Even though I did not like Windows 8, really the only thing I didnt like about it was the tiles. Thought that was just something else to annoy me to death. Windows 10, looks like, while they have the tiles there, it isn't controlled by the Explore button I so deeply love at the bottom left hand of my screen. So...actually, I plan on upgrading as soon as I can. My one pet peeve has been fixed.

My new keychain:

DSC00415.JPG

Used to have a real keychain but it broke off. I was going to throw that old SO-DIMM away since it's DDR2 and 512MB, at least now it's put to good use. :smile:

Werne, I remember you were very picky about Windows, I'd love to hear your opinion of Windows 10.

I installed the technical preview on a spare hard drive, I didn't like it one bit and have removed it since. It's far more multi-threaded than Win7, it takes up less storage space, it has DX12, you can change machines without having to reactivate Windows, and that's all the good stuff about it.

The multiple desktop thing is fairly useless cause it has no edge or scroll activation, I have to go click the button and then select a desktop, or go through them with keyboard shortcuts, it doesn't show windows from other workspaces in the taskbar either. If you use an online account so you have access to Windows Store, it occasionally asks you to redo the whole activation thing as a "security feature", though it might just be tech preview crapping out.

It also has a lot of useless fluff I don't need running constantly which breaks things if I disable it. Like Cortana which I can't and don't want to use since I don't have a mic and don't care about voice search, but it's so integrated into the search that if I stop the damn thing from running, the search stops functioning properly. Web search integration into the search box is another thing I don't want nor need cause it's slow when searching for a program but breaks stuff if I disable it. By the way, info on everything you search for and click in the start menu gets sent to Windows servers.

The UI itself is junk, even Windows 8 with all it's disgusting tablet stuff is better in my opinion. While Win10 UI is more usable than Win8 UI, it's oversimplified to a point where it's useless to me. I need to go use workarounds or regedit to get more controls cause basic settings are useless while advanced settings are only a tiny bit less useless. I get more options in Win7 basic settings than I do in Win10 advanced settings, especially for wifi where all you get in advanced settings is a enable/disable button, a "connect automatically" checkbox and a password field (also another checkbox but I can't remember what it was).

Finally, you cannot disable updates unless you edit the registry and kill the update service. The only options available are download and install automatically, download automatically but ask for install or ask for download and install. If you choose not to install anything until you confirm, it'll bug you about it constantly. I keep all updates disabled on Windows 7 and install them manually if I have a reason to since in my case, they often break as many things as they fix.

All in all, Win10 is built for morons in a way that makes said morons understand what they need to do and it doesn't allow access to anything that can even remotely affect the system in any negative way. Earlier builds had a lot more control over system settings, later builds started removing a ton of options and it's getting worse with each update. That sucks for those like me who want to have more advanced settings without having to resort to workarounds and registry tweaks.

So in my case, the only thing worth moving to Win10 is DirectX 12. If DX12 takes off quickly and gets used for the games I play, I might be persuaded to update since the only thing I use Windows for is games and modding, Debian handles everything else. However, if DX12 ends up having poor adoption rate like DX11, I'll stick with Win7 until support goes out and likely switch to Linux completely.

TL;DR - I still hate Windows.

Edited by Werne

My new keychain:

I installed the technical preview on a spare hard drive, I didn't like it one bit and have removed it since. It's far more multi-threaded than Win7, it takes up less storage space, it has DX12, you can change machines without having to reactivate Windows, and that's all the good stuff about it.

The multiple desktop thing is fairly useless cause it has no edge or scroll activation, I have to go click the button and then select a desktop, or go through them with keyboard shortcuts, it doesn't show windows from other workspaces in the taskbar either. If you use an online account so you have access to Windows Store, it occasionally asks you to redo the whole activation thing as a "security feature", though it might just be tech preview crapping out.

It also has a lot of useless fluff I don't need running constantly which breaks things if I disable it. Like Cortana which I can't and don't want to use since I don't have a mic and don't care about voice search, but it's so integrated into the search that if I stop the damn thing from running, the search stops functioning properly. Web search integration into the search box is another thing I don't want nor need cause it's slow when searching for a program but breaks stuff if I disable it. By the way, info on everything you search for and click in the start menu gets sent to Windows servers.

The UI itself is junk, even Windows 8 with all it's disgusting tablet stuff is better in my opinion. While Win10 UI is more usable than Win8 UI, it's oversimplified to a point where it's useless to me. I need to go use workarounds or regedit to get more controls cause basic settings are useless while advanced settings are only a tiny bit less useless. I get more options in Win7 basic settings than I do in Win10 advanced settings, especially for wifi where all you get in advanced settings is a enable/disable button, a "connect automatically" checkbox and a password field (also another checkbox but I can't remember what it was).

Finally, you cannot disable updates unless you edit the registry and kill the update service. The only options available are download and install automatically, download automatically but ask for install or ask for download and install. If you choose not to install anything until you confirm, it'll bug you about it constantly. I keep all updates disabled on Windows 7 and install them manually if I have a reason to since in my case, they often break as many things as they fix.

All in all, Win10 is built for morons in a way that makes said morons understand what they need to do and it doesn't allow access to anything that can even remotely affect the system in any negative way. Earlier builds had a lot more control over system settings, later builds started removing a ton of options and it's getting worse with each update. That sucks for those like me who want to have more advanced settings without having to resort to workarounds and registry tweaks.

So in my case, the only thing worth moving to Win10 is DirectX 12. If DX12 takes off quickly and gets used for the games I play, I might be persuaded to update since the only thing I use Windows for is games and modding, Debian handles everything else. However, if DX12 ends up having poor adoption rate like DX11, I'll stick with Win7 until support goes out and likely switch to Linux completely.

TL;DR - I still hate Windows.

Meh, now I feel like an idiot also XD Though tbh, the only reason I'm upgrading is I can see Microsoft dropping support for 7 soon...