Oblivion (PS3) starting to bore me - what am I missing?

crivens

My wife bought me Oblivion GOTY on the PS3 a while ago and I've played it a bit, but not a huge amount. Mostly because I'm so busy. I'm not really enjoying it even though I enjoyed Morrowind and I do like RPGs. My problem is that I'm rather bored of wandering the wilderness and searching endless caves and dungeons only to end up with 15 gold pieces is tedious. I've closed a couple of gates and the grind of fighting to a gate is already bugging me. I'm considering trading it in - so what am I doing wrong or what am I missing? Maybe I'm less inclined to sit down with this type of game because I get so little time on the PS3 these days, I don't know. I'm not trying to start an argument - merely trying to determine if I'm not putting the effort into something that deserves it or if I'm missing the point (e.g. ignore the main quest and do other stuff). Any suggestions? Thanks

Maybe oblivion is just not for you. Most of us, I believe, became obsessed as soon as we exited the training cave and learned that we could go where we wanted. Exploring caves that has nothing to do with a quest is one of the biggest draws to me personally. Another problem you may have is that you can not mod the PS3 version. Having the ability to mod the PC version means that as long as people are willing to make new worlds and caves, we can never run out of places to explore.

My wife bought me Oblivion GOTY on the PS3 a while ago and I've played it a bit, but not a huge amount. Mostly because I'm so busy. I'm not really enjoying it even though I enjoyed Morrowind and I do like RPGs. My problem is that I'm rather bored of wandering the wilderness and searching endless caves and dungeons only to end up with 15 gold pieces is tedious. I've closed a couple of gates and the grind of fighting to a gate is already bugging me. I'm considering trading it in - so what am I doing wrong or what am I missing? Maybe I'm less inclined to sit down with this type of game because I get so little time on the PS3 these days, I don't know. I'm not trying to start an argument - merely trying to determine if I'm not putting the effort into something that deserves it or if I'm missing the point (e.g. ignore the main quest and do other stuff). Any suggestions? Thanks

get the PC version and mods,mods mods!.I've been playing it since day one and still play it .Mods opened up the game and make it what it should have been.Customize it to your liking!

Morrowind was better in many respects. Too bad all the cool graphics and NPC schedules and voiced dialogue were not in Morrowind. Or too bad Oblivion didn't have more guilds and factions and quests like Morrowind.

I love the way the Elder Scrolls games let you go anywhere and do anything with your virtual life. Some people don't care for that, like my sister for instance. But I find there are dozens of ways to play, and I keep trying new ones.

Mods on the PC are totally awsome! It means your game never will run out of content, and you can mold it into whatever you want it to be. But if Oblivion is not for you, I understand. There are many other great games and things to do in life.

i liked many parts of morrowind that i didnt like in oblivion. But like people have said earlier, it might be a good idea to get the PC version of Oblivion because i currently have the ps3 and PC version of oblivion and i havnt played the ps3 version since i got the PC version.

-Nelsonater

Thanks for the replies. I made a decision a while ago to stop playing games on my PC. I got tired of upgrading it and having so many hardware issues so I decided to stick to my PS3 for gaming. I wonder if my situation is because I need a quicker "fix" because I get so little time on the PS3. Or maybe my attention span is shrinking! Or my tastes have changed. I'll try to put a few more hours into Oblivion and see if I still enjoy it.

Thanks

Play Fallout 3 ! Since the mods for Fallout 3 still small in amount, you may want to try it on PS3. But I'm suggesting you buy the PC version of Oblivion and Fallout 3. If you don't have the money for a good PC, may want to try Fallout 3 on PS3. But I'm still suggesting the PC version if you can buy it. (don't take it seriously)

I made a decision a while ago to stop playing games on my PC
Bad decision.

Thanks for the replies. I made a decision a while ago to stop playing games on my PC. I got tired of upgrading it and having so many hardware issues so I decided to stick to my PS3 for gaming. I wonder if my situation is because I need a quicker "fix" because I get so little time on the PS3. Or maybe my attention span is shrinking! Or my tastes have changed. I'll try to put a few more hours into Oblivion and see if I still enjoy it.

Thanks

Each of us have a taste for things and it's good it is so. Some people likes the necessity of talking with people so they tell them what is happening in their world and direct to things to be done... others just hate it. Some people likes going straight ahead shooting anything that moves (and the things that don't move too, just to be sure)... others hate it. Others like complex evolving with complex strategical decisions and among they some prefers a Turn Based game and others prefers a Real Time development (what someway turns strategic games more like tactical games... but je divague).

There is nothing wrong or a better to anyone game, what exist is the game we like to play. If playing Oblivion seems to do a homework to you you should not play it and be sincere to yourself and, maybe that is the real point, to your wife. I'm sure she thought you would like the game but keeping on something that not does to you is plain boring indeed.

Note Oblivion is a game you should play at low pace, to me this is one of it's greater strength, I'm in no way pressed to do something immediately by the game... sometimes the 'to do' quest journal extends for pages and eventually they are solved when I got near or decide to to that specific quest, if they aren't... no problem at all for me nor to the game.

You don't need even start the main quest and no Oblivion's Gate will open at all if you don't go near kvatch or Jaufree. A bit of spoiling, The main quest in Oblivion is short, maybe too short (beyond a few O Gates you don't even need to close them to proceed) yet the game provides a way to give a 'motif' to closing them, those stones are very good to enchant more powerful items, and here is where moding may reduce their value... well, at least in the PS3 one will learn to value them.

To conclude this already too long post, the strength of Oblivion is in it's 'no main' quests, strange like it may sound... and different from the vast majority of games... it do not terminate when the main quest is over... So there is no thing as a END to this game.

`I wonder if my situation is because I need a quicker "fix" because I get so little time on the PS3.'

This could be at the root of your disatisfaction. Oblivion does rather demand that you have the time to immerse yourself in the game for a couple of hours or more (IMHO); it isn't the sort of game where you can play for fifteen or twenty minutes and make definite progress through the various stages, as with more linear games.

Others have mentioned mods for the PC version, and these do make so much difference to the in-game experience, but if you are usually pushed for time you might still not find it enjoyable.

Do try Fallout 3 though; it's fair to say that it's a livelier experience than Oblivion (and it has guns) ;)

Hi everyone,

I am going to try to be very concrete...

if I understand correctly you are not really interested in Oblivion and you wander why...by the way your were very much interested in Morrowind (I can relate and understand this...)

Part of the reason is...the main quest...Indeed the main quest in Oblivion is nothing like the main quest in Morrowind and that's probably one of the main reasons you didn't get "fired off".

I suggest you forget about the main quest and focus on other Quests like the guild's Quests.

The Thieve Quest or the Archmage's Quest should be of interest to you...If they aren't then you might want to consider dropping the game for good...

Good luck to you and good RP :wink: