A decent MMORPG?

katashy

Can anyone give me the name of a good MMORPG? Id REALLY like it if I could pay OVER THE INTERNET with a maestro debit card. I was lookng at WoW but you cant use a debit card over the internet for it.

Iwas aslso thinking of getting LOTRO, but i dont know if its any good.

i think Herculine you may like them if we found a good one, i do but the thing is they are only good when you play with the same people all the time, most of the free ones all feel the same to me.

It is more about nice people playing the game than the game itself... with that 'massive' comes all trolls you are entitled... so...

Edit: forgot to say I didn't mean those trolls from the game but those toward the game :)

I think it would probably help to know what sort of MMO you were looking to play. You should also probably look for some MMOs that allow for a trial period before you have to pay so that you can get some sort of feeling for the game before you're having to spend money.

As far as F2P mmos go, right now, most of them are either showing their age, have cash shop features which are required to play the game, or have significant balance issues, so might be worth giving a pass on. Although these games are free to play, you usually have to pay 5-6 times a normal monthly fee to get anywhere in them. There are still some I haven't tried, but most seem to eventually fall into this kind of model as company greed prevails.

You could give Eve Online a try. It is the best MMO I've ever played, plus you can pay by Maestro (either by using Paypal, paying directly, or by buying a time card from a 3rd party retailer). It has a 14 day free trial (or, if you PM me your email address, I'll send you a buddy invite which will give you a 21 day trial), so theres no reason not to give it a go at least.

Its a very complicated game, but once youve got the hang of it, its great.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say you have two options:

1) look for a free trial on some of the most played pay-2-play :

- World of Warcraft

- Lord of the Rings online : mostly PVE

- Champions online : superheroes, cartoon style

- EVE : spaceship, very praised and complete, lot of freedom

- Guild Wars : mostly PVP, no montlhy fee, you just buy the box

- Warhammer Age of Reckoning : mostly RVR PVP, but lot of players ran away for problems at startup

- Age of Conan : innovative fighting style, but lot of players run away as well

- Aion : just got out, all the players I know are quite happy about it, but I think it's not possible to get any free trial since atm.

2) look for free-2-play games. Most of them have micro-transactions but you're not obliged to purchase anything. Real-money spenders have some advantage to non spenders of course, but usually those items can be bought with in-game currency and should not be unbalancing. I agree on Vagrant advice, but only if you try to be *VERY* competitive in the enviornment, not if you just play for fun and aggregation. Anyway:

- Aeria Games has some of them: e.g.Shaiya, Last Chaos. I played Shaiya for some time, but it is extremely grinding/farming based at high levels, it bored me too much so I quit.

- Runes of Magic : nice, I'm playing it since some weeks, quest based, mostly PVE.

- The Chronicles of Spellborn : was a pay-2-play and has been released as free because of no commercial success. I think is a good game, but my PC is quite old and doesn't support it, shame on it. The dev team has been fired, though, so a grey future is expected, unfortunately...

- Perfect World : some like it, but grinding based as well.

Try having a look at www.mmorpg.com for more info on those I mentioned and more games, it lists everything, both free and pay 2 play.

Well there is DDO aka Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited. It's very unique MMORPG in many ways and free-to-play no less. It places D&D 3.5E rules to MMORPG game with unique combat system. In combat you have to actually aim and be in range for attacks to hit the target. There is only twenty levels but each level consists of five ranks. Every level you get status points, traits, new spells and so on. On other hand every rank you get one enchantment point which can be used to buy enchantments (such as +1 to sneak and so on). This is quest (and heavily PvE) based game. Dungeons play large lore in this game which consists of traps and puzzle along with combat. Also you do NOT get xp from killing single monster expect if it's quest target but instead you get xp when you have killed enough monsters (10, 20, 30, 50, 100, 200 and so on in total (so old kills also count)) There is favour system which can be brought with real money OR you can farm it. Favour can be used to unlock new races, classes, dungeons, items and so on. You can play this game without paying at all if you have patience to grind for favour.