Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for anyone to answer:

When using GetPos what exactly does this return? Is based on a grid system with player as (0,0,0) and 128 units=6 ft? Or does GetPos use a grid system with the center of the 4096x4096 cell as 0,0? Say I want to get the position (x,y,x) of a reference relative to player position. (e.g. how far is the reference to the left of the player, or in front of the player, or to the right of the player, etc) How can I do this?

I need to find out if a NPC ref's (x,y,z) is under a giant mechs foot. I have the coordinates all mapped out for the range of the area(z,y,z) would be under both the right, and left foot.

From ground to knee the mech is 128 units.

The width of each foot is 53.25 units

the depth of each foot is 71 units

the width of the mech is 140 units.

Assuming (0,0,0) is the mechs center, with its feet on the ground, and the return value of GetPos is measured in units relative to the player, I can calculate if another NPC is right under my foot. If true I can play squishy sound and killactor.

There is this script, but I am unsure how it works really. Could someone explain it to me.

float fAngle
float fRelativePos

Begin GameMode

set fRelativePos to player.GetPos z + <Z OFFSET>
    myREF.setPos z fRelativePos

set fAngle to player.GetAngle Z + <ANGLE OFFSET>
    myREF.SetAngle Z fAngle

set fRelativePos to player.GetPos Y + <PLAYER OFFSET> * cos fAngle
    myREF.SetPos Y fRelativePos

set fRelativePos to player.GetPos X + <PLAYER OFFSET> * sin fAngle
    myREF.SetPos X fRelativePos

End

If the GetPos returns a value relative to a 4096x4096 grid with 0,0 as the center of the cell then the direction the player is facing will determine whether a references x or y coordinate is greater or less than mine. e.g. if player is facing south relative to 4096x4096 grid with 0,0 at the center of the cell, and north being up, and an NPC is standing right in front of you, their y position is going to be less than yours, where as if you were facing north and they were in front of you their y pos would be greater than yours.

How can I return the position (x,y,x) of a reference relative to the player?

Edited by irswat

This is awesome, can I just say.

All of this scripting is waaaaaaay over my head, but I can't wait to play the full version of this. I can't believe that this is actually getting somewhere.

Out of curiosity, do I get any credit in the end? Not primary credit, obviously (that'd go to you two, irswat and devp), but a little credit for contributing during the ideas phase of this project?

....................I would agree march.....but sadly I don't even know if I will get credit......

Anyway what are we doing with Titan fallout:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55673/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D55673%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Are we merging with them or racing them, if so they go the head start with 25 endrosements last time I checked. Only need to get past 31(now 32) for front page status.

And nevermind about godzilla, I didn't know it was out, might be good to release this mod soon if we are, because when people think of big things people want big things.

Edited by jesterskull25

I've agreed to help, so don't rush! I do have a spare spot set up on the Titan Marker for another titan/mech. So when you are finished, and if you are interested in merging, it could be added to the marker. Of course I won't just sit by, I'll try to help in any way I can, and you guys will get credit for your part. But first I have to finish up some minor changes before version 3 is released.

Edited by Hopper31

I found some sound fx for walking, and when an NPC gets squished. Does anyone know what format this needs to be in, and where I put the sound files?

So the soundFX for walking is a audio template attached to the armor under it's tab. The template itself is made of a list of wavs under Audio->Sound that encompasses sounds for various actions (running, walking etc). The sound for when a NPC gets squished will be in a different object, probably dependent on how the "squishing" dynamics are implemented.

I kind of want to figure out a way to make it possible to step on NPC's. Also NPC's within a couple feet of the mech get knocked down. I think the following will suffice, but I think there will be problems with visual. How can I apply this formula to only kill the npc if

A.) They are under the feet

B.) The foot has come down upon them

Probably a simple actor effect that causes damage (preferably with a blood spray) via touch. The reason I believe this is workable is that due to the mech's size, the only part of it the NPC will actually impact/touch will be from the calf down. That's close enough (for me) to be a foot stomp. We'll have to restrict the effect to exclude non mechs/behemoths/alpha deathclaws, and other very large critters (which for convenience's sake I'm just going to refer to as colossus), but it will be easy to just throw them in a formlist. Since mech's may wrestle and exchange punches with other colossus we don't want that by touch actor effect to cause damage.

This would be a slightly less accurate method, as the mech could just drag it's foot into someone to impart damage (as opposed to stepping square on), but even a slow moving 100 ton object can make a quick mess out of a human.

This method is also extremely simple which means it should be pretty robust.

I also think that the animation based on the radroach stomp in vats would make a great shockwave effect to knock down peeps in a radius around the mech.

we should also get permission to use this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55334/?

I only scanned it (havn't check it out in depth or played it) but I don't believe it has anything we don't already have;

1. I'm familiar with Illyism's rideable creatures script (have converted them for FONV and used them in other mounts), it's free to use, and already have access to a better script thanks to Jazzisparis & Jojash.

2. Q's model (the one used in the mod) is free to use, but I'm far more interested in being as lore friendly as possible, so I'm not really attracted to a junk bot per se. I would rather create my own model that contains the style and progression I see as a project begun as per a advanced power armor vehicle (gov military project) and continued by the enclave. We will also have other models but I'd like them to all fit in their own pre-war "ecosystem" or post war development by existing factions. An example of that would be the protectron loaders that I mentioned/showed in the old thread;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/protectronLoaderSmall_zpseadab96d.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/FONV%20Mods-works%20in%20progress/protectronLoader_zps48e45b02.jpg

it (the loader) makes sense as filling a function in the fallout world and being adapted to a weapon. The same would be true of liberty prime and any other pre-existing lore that is related to mechs. In this way we can do our best to fit a non lore item into the fallout story in the most lore friendly way.

So long story short, I might have missed something, but at first glance I'm not sure there is anything there that we need or don't already have access to. However if I'm wrong about that, shoot me a heads up Irswat.

Looks like someone was able to make the mod first,

Illyism's rideable creatures script and mods based on it have been around for over 4 years. Many, mech type mods have been based on it for a quite a while now.

instead of fighting them, I say join them, that way over all, we get a good mod(or even a better one than we had planned).

http://www.nexusmods...as/mods/55673/?

We're not fighting anyone :confused: and your, of course, more than welcome to join them, but the method I'm using here isn't based on Illyism's script.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1649328-script-help-i-will-step-on-you-with-my-mech/

this is my script for stepping on mechs. I aimed for precision as much as possible. I have the coordinates of the feet, which you can see in the script. Im running into some problems getting it to compile because the refs are not persistent references im not able to call killactor or them. I'm not sure how to get around this.

i have some ideas including using zap, and then placeatme something that will squish.

Edited by irswat

for anyone to answer:

When using GetPos what exactly does this return? Is based on a grid system with player as (0,0,0) and 128 units=6 ft? Or does GetPos use a grid system with the center of the 4096x4096 cell as 0,0?

The latter. If it was the former the grid system would be dynamically changing constantly as the player moves, but that's not to say the player or any object can't be used as an offset to another object or another object as a offset to teh player, since this is how it's used most often.

Say I want to get the position (x,y,x) of a reference relative to player position. (e.g. how far is the reference to the left of the player, or in front of the player, or to the right of the player, etc) How can I do this?..............

Assuming (0,0,0) is the mechs center, with its feet on the ground, and the return value of GetPos is measured in units relative to the player, I can calculate if another NPC is right under my foot. If true I can play squishy sound and killactor.

So you wouldn't have 0,0,0 instead you'd have whatever the player's actual position is, let's say s/he is near the center cell at 45, 50, 10000 (most land masses created have a high altitude due to some issue with water). You'd use getPos and getAngle on the player to determine those exact values and throw them in a var. Then you'd do the same for nearby combatants (remember not just position is imprortant but also angle to player, as the mech will have a greater stride forward than movement side to side). You'd do a comparison of their position and angle and if they are within a small number you could say (depending on the relative angle to player) they are within the stride of the mech. I'm not sure however, how to determine what frame the animation is in (so you know what part of the stride is currently being played), so I'd suggest going with the simpler method of a actor effect that damgaes by touch.

There is this script, but I am unsure how it works really. Could someone explain it to me.

So this looks like a fragment of Illyism's script to me. What it's essentially doing is getting the position and angle of the player and adding an offset tehn storing that in fRelativePos. The moving a reference (the mount) to fRelativePos effectively sticking the mount right under the player. Where the player moves the setPos moves the mount, creating the illusion that your riding the mount (although actually it's the mount that's being moved to teh players position with a small offset...so it's not right over/around the player.