How do I create a patch mod?

SkunkMonkey

I'm going full bore on learning how to mod now and I'm making progress and having fun.

What I have not been able to figure out yet is how to save my edits to a new .esp file that will patch the original .esp file so I can leave the original intact and unchanged. As it stands now, I am editing the original .esp files and if an update for them is released I will have many hours of work putting my tweaks back in.

Anyone care to walk this old dog through this new trick?

Cheers

Skunky

Well if you're editting other peoples modss do this: Load the mod into CS, but don't set it as the active file. Modify everything accordingly, then save. It will let you save it as a new file with onlythe pieces you messed with. Then when you start the game make sure the new esp you made is checked, and at the bottom of the load list. Then when they release a new version just make sure your fixes stay beneath their esp in the load order and you should be good.

Although if there is a way to make an actual patcher I'd be interested in knowing this. :)

I don't think what palidicprince says works for adding things.(Although the CS and the Game Engine accepts it!!)

I would use Tes4Edit or Tes4Gecko to create a patch as described in the de-isolation tutorial.

If prefer using Tes4edit for it...

You'll never be totally safe from updates from the author, but using those generally put you in a good position.

Although if there is a way to make an actual patcher I'd be interested in knowing this.

Hehe, well you could use Tes4Gecko to merge it again so it is actually there but Tes4Gecko isn't a daily used program.

People could use the CS for it as well.

Thanks folks!

That de-isolation tutorial sounds like it's going to get me pointed in the right direction. I'll have to empty all my chests (just as a precaution!) and redo some of my work, but it's definitely forward progress.

Cheers!

Skunky

Hmm. I'm not sure what you mean ProNam. The few times I've wanted to change something in a mod I've done that and it works. And it will add things (like a chest for example) to a cell that's added by a mod. I could be missing something, if so I'd like to know.

At any rate your suggestion is great and I'm not knocking it. :)

I'm going full bore on learning how to mod now and I'm making progress and having fun.

What I have not been able to figure out yet is how to save my edits to a new .esp file that will patch the original .esp file so I can leave the original intact and unchanged. As it stands now, I am editing the original .esp files and if an update for them is released I will have many hours of work putting my tweaks back in.

Anyone care to walk this old dog through this new trick?

So you are "wanting" to have your mod ending up utilizing multiple .esp files with a load-order dependency? Seriously?

If it is your mod, why not just make revised copies and save them in a safe location....maybe with a version number attached to it in a simple text file with the changes you have made since the last change? Doing it this way will allow your development process to "backup" in case you goofed somewhere in the process and your end-result when completed will be just one file which has everything.

Example: Lost Paladins of the Divines releases as version 1.0. Later, I fix bugs and release a version 1.1 plugin. If I wanted to keep the version 1.0 mod in-tact for the public in case there were other 1.0 modifications and addons done for it, I could simply upload a 1.0 to 1.1 patch file which is just the updated .esp plugin and readme which will overwrite the original 1.0 files...but requires the 1.0 install to be in-place already.

If however my initial release of the mod is extremely huge in size and I've made changes to just to several file (NIF fixes, texture updates, etc.) but want the absolute smallest patch file made to save on download size, I might consider using a binpatch program to compare and extract only the differences between the 1.0 and 1.1 files and release a binpatch update which will "patch" the 1.0 files to become 1.1 files. However, I'd consider the vast amount of end-user support for such a scenario as compared to just releasing a larger patch that overwrites the modified files similar to the 1st example in favor of less tech-support to download size.

If your base code is actually somebody else's mod and you want to create "patches" for their mods without actually modifying or re-distributing their files, then the de-isolation method pointed out is the trick to use.

LHammonds

If your base code is actually somebody else's mod and you want to create "patches" for their mods without actually modifying or re-distributing their files, then the de-isolation method pointed out is the trick to use.

LHammonds

This is closer to what I am attempting to do. I'm not creating a new mod but a personal one that makes some aesthetic changes and tweaks as well as adding an item or two. I've no intention of releasing this mod, it's primarily a personal project I am using to help teach myself the basics and get used to using the tools.

Specifically, I am giving the various storage containers in Hoarfrost castle specific names. Renaming the numerous "Strongbox" containers in the Secret Chamber with names like "Heavy Armor - Greaves" and "Weapons - Blades".

I'm also adding two jewelry boxes to the dressers in the Master Bedroom named "Rings" and "Amulets".

I want to be able to update the Hoarfrost main esp if one is released without having to go though the whole process again.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's really helping this old dog learn some new tricks!

Cheers!

Skunky