The Official Currently Listening To Thread

Dark0ne

3 hours ago, zixi said:

So, I'm now on to No More Heroes

Just listened to it - I don´t get all the references (at least I know who Leo Trotzky was) 😄  This kind of music will never be made again 😕

@Morticia01 Great song! I remember, when I was ~16 I wore a t-shirt with one of their covers and did not even know who they are lol. I guess I just wanted to wear it, because it had SEX written all over it haha.

• Haha 2

Sometimes I like to listen to songs in languages I don't speak, be it Hindi, Japanese, Chinese, Russian or whatever. I have fond memories of a couple of days I spent in a Zulu village 25 years ago, and one of my cousins who used to be the lead singer in a band around then used to do roughly half of his songs in Zulu. I don't speak Zulu, but while I have a handful of Zulu songs in my iTunes library, I wanted to hear a prose poem sung in Zulu. So I wrote one and had an AI sing it, and I think it sounds beautiful. For those who are curious, this is a link to the song:

The Answer You Want (Zulu)

I'll also put the lyrics in both Zulu and English below.

Ungathukutheli uma umuntu engqongqoza emnyango wakho
Ungachobozi umuntu ngokuzama ukuqonda
Ungahleki nganoma yikuphi ukubonakaliswa kwenjabulo
Kodwa ujoyine nabo uma ungakwazi

Goba ukuhlangabezana nalabo abangaphansi kwakho
Hambisa ukubingelela labo abakude kakhulu
Yeka ukulinda labo abalandela
Kulungile ukufinyelela inkanyezi

I-hello umuthi we-powrful
I-goodbye ihamba kangcono ngokumanga
Uma uthatha indlela elula kakhulu yokusabela
Nguwe oxosha

Impendulo oyifunayo iyona okufanele uyinikeze

Don't get angry when someone knocks on your door
Do not crush someone for trying to understand
Do not laugh at any expression of joy
But join them if you can

Bend to meet those below you
Move to greet those too far
Stop to wait for those who follow
It's okay to reach for a star

A hello is a powrful medicine
A goodbye goes better with a kiss
If you take the easiest path to reactions
It is yourself you dismiss

The answer you want is the one you should give

(c)2024 Guglielmo Earthbound

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Morticia01 said:

The 80s had many very good bands,  very creative period

For some reason this has reminded me of Remy Zero  (and their song Save me) which was used for the theme music  for Smallville... (a young superman series). Three albums and they sank without a trace. Nice songs though!

I've been trying to remember if I know many groups or musicians (other than classical) from the last 20 years... 😄 And I've tried to figure out how far I can go back - ie before my birth date... I'm tempted to say that might be before records began (pun intended)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drsemmel said:

Bauhaus - Mask

Strangely, I always associate Bauhaus with Houdini (the magician/escape artist from long ago). Back around 1989 and 1990 there was an alternative nightclub called The Majestic Theater in Detroit. It's the theater where Houdini did his last show and was murdered in his sleep in the back room, and he later died in Harper Hospital a few hundred yards up the street. Every Friday night I went to the Majestic Theater, and one of the songs it played each Friday was "Bela Lugosi Is Dead" by Bauhaus. I used to love dancing to that song. I'd link it, but I'm sure everyone has heard it, and I'm not listening to it right now anyway except in my memory 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karna5 said:

Sometimes I like to listen to songs in languages I don't speak, be it Hindi, Japanese, Chinese, Russian or whatever.

Me too, especially songs in spanish.

2 hours ago, Karna5 said:

Strangely, I always associate Bauhaus with Houdini (the magician/escape artist from long ago). Back around 1989 and 1990 there was an alternative nightclub called The Majestic Theater in Detroit. It's the theater where Houdini did his last show and was murdered in his sleep in the back room, and he later died in Harper Hospital a few hundred yards up the street.

That is wild (how Houdini died). Also, interesting. Bauhaus´s Peter Murphy often wears kind of like silent screen make up in their videos/visuals.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, drsemmel said:

Did I hear you say you want to listen to something in hebrew?

That's a pretty good song. I think I'd have liked it 35ish years ago, though when listening to angry songs like that I did prefer them to have more of a fluid rhythm so you can throw people around to the beat. I do have around 25% of my family in Israel because when my dad's side of the family left Russia around 125 years ago, half the family went to Argentina, and half went to Israel. I've visited my Argentinian and African relatives, but not my Israeli relatives (though they visited me several times). I'm way, way, way past my angry stage of life, though, so that song's not really for me at this point *Laughs* Thanks, my friend!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karna5 said:

That's a pretty good song. I think I'd have liked it 35ish years ago, though when listening to angry songs like that I did prefer them to have more of a fluid rhythm so you can throw people around to the beat.

Reading that I thought I posted the wrong song by accident 😄. That song came out only a few years ago and its rather light hearted.
edit.: read your post again and understand now, that you meant, you would have liked it 35 yrs ago. I got confused for a minute 😄

1 hour ago, Karna5 said:

. I do have around 25% of my family in Israel because when my dad's side of the family left Russia around 125 years ago, half the family went to Argentina, and half went to Israel. I've visited my Argentinian and African relatives, but not my Israeli relatives (though they visited me several times). I'm way, way, way past my angry stage of life, though, so that song's not really for me at this point *Laughs* Thanks, my friend!

My family stems from what is today the czech republic and austria.

• Like 2