Borderlands players - Role-call

Dark0ne

level 50... doesnt really adhere to any single class, likes teleporting, sniping, then telporting some more. I play on pc, and Im yet to see any worthwhile mods, but if there were, I'd use em, I love borderlands, and its just the sort of game that would benefit hugely from a little sdk-ification.

If I was going to make a mod instead of criticising them, I would add: Warhammer 40,000: death corp of kreig armour, why? because Im a certified warhammer 40k fanboy and I think lilith would look great in a greatcoat, aquila and gasmask. aswell as that (awesome) car mad mel had, and one too replace all Skags with Skagzilla: they arent hard enough, make em harder! lastly I would rename lilith, the current monnika is too sugestive by half and just doesnt fit my port n snipe style.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then get an S n S lol, seriously, I use shotguns for Skagging, Ive got a nice level 44 explosive shotty that makes their inside thier outsides like nothing else, just wait till they open up and BLAMMO! instant Skag soup.

Lastly, to gun them down at a distance, try a fire or acid weapon, as these chew through even the alpha skags quite easily, just blast away with an SMG or machine gun tycombat rifle for long enough and they keel over without too much trouble.

Lastly if multiple Skags are causing you trouble, dont neglect rocket launchers, they are pathetic early on, but a good on is great for your opening shot; later versions, especialy Vladof "deathly spiral" types which fire a spread w/a rapid reload are a surprisingly good remeding for swarms of Skag puppies.

But I like revolvers, nothing more fun than instakill mouthshots with a good jacobs or torgue revolver for shear satisfaction I must say; the later revolvers, even the white ones, are fantastic if you've got the markspersonship skills for regular headshots.

Just dowloaded Borderlands and Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl last night via Windows Live (yeah, I know) had a cart load of points left over from my Xbox 360 days and needed to use em up.

Havent looked at online play yet, gonna get used to the game a bit first so I dont get shot full of holes all the time.

Well ostensibly you wouldnt get shot full of holes in borderlands any since its mostly co op.

Just pick your class very very wisely, it takes a while to get a properly good character, and you cant change persona mid playthrough, so experiment early or be happy with what you get.

A few tips I'd give a borderland newbie: do all the side missions in borderlands that you possibly can, they give some truly epic gear, all the good high level gear is online only, but to get that gear you'll want some of this fun stuff. When you unlock the coastal level, make sure you properly explore the bandit camp, one of the spiderants drops a very nice bossdrop eridian laser shotgun that you'll be glad to have, very effective, and once its bpassed its replacment date, perfect for sick amusement as all human kills have an almost 100% chance of heaving their heads explode on death.

Secondly, dont be afraid to venture out of each classes basic field of skills. Roland(soldier) can be a great sniper, Lilith(wannabe warp spider) is good for any sort of ambush tactics, Mordecai(truxican wrestler moonlighting as a dominatrix) is just at good toe-to-toe dueling with a revovler as he is at sniping and Brick is tough enough to be OK at everything but sniping and sneaking.

Thirdly, there is no healer, look after your own health, as Lilith, teleport hit n run heals you anyway, but as the others, mind your health bar and med yourself as needed-Roland can heal yer, but it wastes his ammo and hurts a bunch.

Fourth: if you're online, stick together unless you're Lilith, who is a flanker and ambush attacker, otherwise, stay near the turret, and the beserker, though prefferably behind them. Turrets and beserkers make great cover in a firefight, and some Roland's turrets spit out ammo and radial healing.

Fifth: dont just grab a higher damage gun because it has higher damage. Accuracy, rate of fire, ammo capacity and elemental damage type are critical. A powerful innacurate gun that fires slowly is useless. A weak gun with extreme accuray and a great fire rate is generaly a good type-Atlas and Hyperion guns, red and white respectively, are generaly the best balance, but some high level Vladof and Dahl are well worth a look too. Especialy if you are a siren, go elemental, especialy against skags, it really helps to be able to trhough down some DOT when needed, even if it seems overkill vs basic bandits, multiplayer mobs are always tougher.

Finaly: go nuts, regular rampages through bandit camps will sharpen your skills, get you xp, but in the earlier levels, also reward valuable combat gear, so if you can afford the ammo, waste the ammo.

I went back to borderlands tonight after a few weeks off.

I needed to kill something, I'd narrowly escaped a major domestic disaster and just want to let off some steam by giving someone an air cooled skull.

I wasnt disapointed, I got abnormaly good loot in single player, Im level 50 and at 50, singleplayer loot is often aweful. But damn, I got some good stuff: 8 golds. 5 of them simply epic, I also worked out a fun little trick: one of lilith's abilities is Pheonix, now, that can occasionaly allow you to fire "free shots" that dont consume ammo. Ammo restrictions are one way Gearbox and 2K balance weapon damage, you can see where this is going...

I naturaly, grabbed a two shot revolver and shotgun, both capable of epic damage and accuracy but only 2 shots before a slow reload. With pheonix however I was able to belt out ridiculously high dps hurt well beyond what would normaly be possible. It was also, though this is subjective, very satisfying: trying this with Sledge's Shotgun(level 49, boss drop) yielded especialy fun results.

The Sledgegun is very powerful, fires a two round burst very quickly and does impressive damage, but with this trick it occasionaly spewed out a hail buckshot, up to ten in a row. It was also funny to use, once you pull the trigger it keeps firing till out of ammo, so sometimes it goes beserk and keeps shooting even if everone is already dead. Not the best exploit in gaming, but its one to remember: all burst fire weapons that fire one burst then reload, IE: some RPGs, dual barrel shotguns, and a small few revolvers, can completely bypas their ammo restriction and thus handicap about one in 3 shots-like I said, unreliable, but fun and sometimes very very lethal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I love Borderlands. I have a couple of every character although I prefer Lilith and her phasewalk ability. I'm not a fan of the underdome expansion, but I did enjoy the zombies of Dr. Ned. I haven't hit the newest one with the general all that much yet.

I played the main game and the Zombie Island DLC through with my friend on PC, I played as Mordecai and he as Brick. I didn't make it to level 50, because my friend got bored with it after the first playthrough, and to tell you the truth, so did I.

In the end, new and better guns isn't a good enough reason to play it again. We thought that when we both got General Knoxx, we'd play it again.

Otherwise, it was fun as hell.