Questions about managing my files

jwvanderbeck

I really like the download system here, but its also very confusing for me, the author. Is there a guide anywhere on how to use it?

I just had to upload a new version of one of my mods and I think I made a real mess of things. What is the proper procedure for updating a download with a new version?

Also, I tried to upload a Readme but I just got a bunch of PHP errors.

Yes it can be confusing at first, the more you use the system the easier it becomes.

Here is a step by step guide.

From any age of a particular site, click on the members area link in the upper right.

The scroll down to "manage your files" and click on that link.

This will bring up a page where all files you have uploded are listed.

Click on the file you want to edit/change/upload files/images ect.

And you will see something like this:

----------------------------------------------------

Ammo Box Respawn

23:11, 14 June 2009

comments 30 comments Comments

discussions Discussions

This is the number of active discussion topics currently running in the discussions area of your file.

Click to go to your discussions area.

21 endorsements

4169 downloads

Edit attributes below are the options

Files Add/move or delete files

Images (0 pending images) Add/move or delete images

Videos

Mirrors Other download locations

Tag this fileSet tags for the tag search

Upload ReadMe text documents only

Hide file sets file invisible to the general members

Delete file This one will delete the entire file page and no one can recover it if you select it

--------------------------------------------------------

Files - - Use this to add a new file/organize existing files/edit file name or short description/delete the individual file.

Click on the files tab and it will bring up all files associated with the file page.

Click on the file you wish to change, you will see a screen with some options:

Edit filename on the top.....make desired changes, only affects the selected file.

Next is the category, allows you to organize your files into appropriate sub headings [listed on the file page alphabetically]

Small description: 250 character limit.

--------------------------------------------------

That should answer your immediate question.

Best way to learn, is create a dummy page.....set it hidden, then play around with the features only takes 30 minutes to go through all the options and see what they do, upload some dummy files and edit things move them around...the images work pretty much the same way, but only jpeg formats will display properly. When you have things figured out, just delete the file page and it will be gone forever.

If you have trouble with a file, pm me and I will send you my email and have you send the file to me and I will check it out and upload it for you.

Hope this answers the immediate question, but feel free to contact me anytime and I will do my best to assist you and answer your questions.

Buddah

Note nothing is hidden from me, if you run into trouble I can look at things and answer your questions and help resolve your issues.

I'll take a look at the PHP errors for the ReadMe's now. I was about to pop up to bed as it's striking midnight here but hopefully this will be a quick fix.

When it comes to updating your files there are two options. Go to your "Files" section for the file page in question. You can either remove the old file and upload the new one (doesn't matter what order you do this in) or you can click on "Edit File" on the old file that is being updated, change the category of the file to "Old version" and upload the new version as the new main file.

Either way your total download counter for the file page will not be affected, however the download counter for that specific file will be lost, if you understand my meaning.

I'll take a look at the PHP errors for the ReadMe's now. I was about to pop up to bed as it's striking midnight here but hopefully this will be a quick fix.

When it comes to updating your files there are two options. Go to your "Files" section for the file page in question. You can either remove the old file and upload the new one (doesn't matter what order you do this in) or you can click on "Edit File" on the old file that is being updated, change the category of the file to "Old version" and upload the new version as the new main file.

Either way your total download counter for the file page will not be affected, however the download counter for that specific file will be lost, if you understand my meaning.

Thanks. I did the latter, so I guess I did it right :)

Thanks buddah!

I noticed under Files you have "Main File", which I interpret to be the mod, the file that everyone is going to download.

But then you have "Old Versions", which I guess woudl be an area you move older versions to when you upload new versions.

but then the you "Updates" which implies that you put the new version there and not in "Main File"

Its almost like the file system can go many different directions lol.

Over the life of the last two sites has a sort of "accepted practice" developed on how people handle updates to a mod?

Haha, I can see where it might be confusing and where it can be open to interpretation! For me when I created the system the "Updates" category was for mods that released small updates to compliment their large files. So basically trying to save users from redownloading a 100mb+ mod by providing an easy 5mb update file with all the updated files instead.